Yooka-Laylee newbie here (yet a follower of the Rare cult since DKC).
I've just recently pre-ordered the game and gone through the Toybox demo, managing to grab 96 of the quills before resorting to shameful youtubing to get the final 4 (darn hidden side-platforms!).
So yeah, Inept told me to drop by and give my feedback, so here I am.
Regarding the aspect of bringing back the classic Banjo feel, YES - you guys nailed it! But c'mon, we expected nothing less from the creators
Regarding some gameplay aspects:
- The top-down view of some areas is well executed and overall the camera view gets its job done fairly well. I did notice, however, some camera instability when jumping from platforms on walls (trying to get a clear sideways view between platforms) as well as from hovering platforms (having miscalculated my landing more than once due to the camera not panning out correctly);
- Also had some difficulty with swimming - it's not as smooth as in BK, mainly due to having a button to submerge and another to emerge as opposed to steering up or down with the stick. Also, will the final game have an option to swim faster by tapping a button?
- Yooka's rolling ability takes some time to get used to, as it is a bit too fast and makes wide turns, but it may just be a case of getting the hang of it in the end;
- Frameskip isn't so smooth (I'm playing in an Xbox One) especially when concerning backgrounds;
- Would perhaps suggest another button to interact (talk) with NPCs - currently it's the same as the jumping button;
- Mandatory vibration / buzz is a big no-no for me and I couldn't find an option to disable it - would you please include one in the final game?
Hope my feedback has been helpful!
Can't wait for April 11!
Oh, and... can we get more than 5 worlds?