Nostalgia in a box

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Nostalgia in a box

Postby Yavga » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:01 pm

For the ones who grew up with and loved the originals. (BK, BT, DK64) What were moments you felt nostalgic when playing the Toybox?

For me the music near the roll-tower really hit the right snare. The animation when entering a room and coming out of it somehow triggered it.
Some of the objects, like that figurine in the waterball... It felt mysterious somehow in a good way. "What is it's purpose?" You think. The crouch-down+jump move also did it for me.

And of course... The appearance of the pagie ^^

What were your moments?
Stop picking your nose

GruntMaster

Re: Nostalgia in a box

Postby GruntMaster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes, the appearance of the pagie (and collection) was very satisfying - perhaps even more so than a Jiggy?

Mid-way through playing it I just had this moment that was like "wow, I feel like I'm playing Banjo-Kazooie again" and it was the coolest thing.

Grant Kirkhope's interactive music also brought back plenty of memories.

rg4liff

Postby rg4liff » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 pm

I agree. The music from that area is pure Nostalgia. I know this sounds weird, but while playing I kept hearing a sound that sounded like one of the warp Cauldrons from BK. I was anticipating turning a corner and seeing them, but alas none. Knowing full well of course that there wouldn't be because this is a different game company, and copy rights and all that. I also really liked the room with the different floors. Running around on them and hearing the different pitter patters was awesome. brought me back to Click Clock Woods (my personal Favorite level ever built. period) :mrgreen: I am beyond elated right now.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Haven't gotten to check the Toybox yet - are interior spaces in the game? :O I notice you said "entering/exiting a room"!!!
Make the forum great again.

Quarg Ranger

Postby Quarg Ranger » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:28 pm

The menu screen is what did it for me. Pressing start and seeing the faces next to the options made my breath catch.

The title screen and the things that recommend the gamepad and represent the save icon with the googly eyes too.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 am

Zita

Postby Zita » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:04 pm

After getting the first few instructions on how to do the basic movements I quickly realized that the controlls were exactly the way they were in Banjo-Kazooie (adjusted to new conrtollers and such). That, together with the music, just triggered me to almost burst into tears out of happiness. Everything felt just as it did 15 years ago and this game is absolutely going to be everything I ever wanted these past few years. :D

| | |

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:18 am

Oh geez, it was a nostalgia fest the entire time! How can I possibly name them all?? As already stated, the menu screen, the font, the sarcastic dialogue, the mumble speech, the animations, the pagie appearance, how it felt finally collecting it... There is so much to mention!

Some others I want to mention is how smooth and fluid Y&L's movements were, like they actually exist somewhere. All of the controls, particularly the jumping and gliding, felt completely natural and familiar, like I'd done them before. It was almost like I was on autopilot. The moment that hit me the most was platforming across the arches. Normally those kind of assets would just be lovely scenery, but here they were an active participant in the world design. I had a feeling that, even if there weren't Quillies on them, in the final game you would intrinsically know jumping on them would lead you to something. I crouch-jumped and double-jumped and flapped my way across them, and it just felt right.
you kuh lady

Estêvão

Postby Estêvão » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 am

My most nostalgic moment was grabbing the first quill on the bridge, it was very reminiscent of my first musical note in Mumbo's Mountain. My second most nostalgic moment was going up the Toybox's version of Spiral Mountain. :D

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 am

The opening reveal from the black screen with the character shaped silhouette window :D (complete with the iconic sound):

The dialogue box with the mumbling sounds, and the familiar humour.

The bright colours.

The music! :D

The funny interaction between Yooka and Laylee when they've been left standing still.

Collecting the first Quill.

Collecting the Pagie!

Edited to add: the Pause screen character sounds.

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:50 am

Ok, this is gonna sound really weird, but the part where you start jumping around on all those wall-bound see-saws was bringing back memories of trying to climb the big tree in the second level of Toy Story 2. It was also a collect-o-thon game. One with lasers.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Reminded me of TTC in Mario 64
Make the forum great again.

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”