Toybox: Others with motion sickness?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Sharlatan

Toybox: Others with motion sickness?

Postby Sharlatan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 am

Hey there!

Firstly, let me apologize if this has already been covered in another topic but I didn't see it (search didn't turn up anything either) and it's just too much to read through every single post. So, sorry if it was already discussed!

Anyway, did anyone else experience this? It wasn't too bad but I indeed experienced very slight motion sickness while playing around in the Toybox!

This came as a surprise since I've never ever experienced motion sickness in a 3rd person game before. Sure, there were some first person games (although by far not all) that caused motion sickness for me (e.g. XIII, "Geist" on the Gamecube, Portal, The Witness, etc.) but not once in over 25 years of gaming have I ever experienced this in a non first person game. Sadly I can't even tell you what exactly is causing it. In some first person games it's the field of view or too much head bobbing but here I'm not sure.

Maybe someone else has experienced this too or at least an idea what's amiss? I really can't tell what's different from this 3rd person games to others that I can play just fine.
Really hope this won't be the case in the final game. It would be such a shame if I only ever could play this in short bursts. It really feels like the game will be great and recapture what made games like B&K so special to me!

Many thanks to Playtonic for their hard work! It really pays off!

Have a nice weekend everyone :)

ShanPen

Re: Toybox: Others with motion sickness?

Postby ShanPen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:42 am

Could it maybe be because you're playing it on a computer screen which sits closer to you than if you were playing a console on a TV screen across the room?

Because I had the same feeling at first before I plugged in a controller and sat back further from the computer to play, as I'm not used to playing games on a computer and sitting so close to the screen in order to use the keyboard controls.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 am

I don't have the Toybox, but a stream I was watching did give me motion sickness.

Historically, I have only gotten it when watching movies from a distance, and that is rarely (maybe a dozen times in my life?). I don't get it on my computer, so that was weird. And watching other people stream other games, I've never gotten it.

I resolved it by shrinking my VLC window, which reduced the symptoms.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Mevnie-Enn

Postby Mevnie-Enn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Personally I didn't get motion sickness when playing on my computer, at first.

When I decided to plug my computer to a TV to see the Toybox in all of its glory, after some time I started to get a bit motion sick. I don't play 1st person games, because I know they'll most likely make me a bit sick, but very few 3rd person games have ever given me motion sickness (Epic Mickey being one of them, à la wonky camera).

I have a feeling that while the game mechanics feel very polished, maybe there's something slightly off with how the camera tracks you/your movements? It could be that.

Pyrii

Postby Pyrii » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:59 pm

I had no problems with motion sickness, and I'm someone that couldn't finish Tomb Raider due to the constant camera bobbing, the only other game that's given me problems was the preview of "Obra Dinn". But no problems in the toybox to mention.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:40 pm

I don't have the toy box but watching clips... the way the camera swings around so quickly made me a bit dizzy!

I know what you mean.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Yeah, the camera made me a bit dizzy and disoriented at times. I hope this is something they're going to fix.

Lyfae

Postby Lyfae » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:45 pm

It didn't go as far as motion sickness but the fast movements of the camera made me dizzy several times. When you turn corners, turn your back to a fence, or in the windy corridors, the point of view changes very quickly.

BlackKoromon

Postby BlackKoromon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:51 pm

My sister mentioned something of this sort when we were playing. Apparently her issue was to do with the effect that such large amounts of solid bright colours have on perspective.

Grakiao

Postby Grakiao » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 am

That's super interesting because I've never experienced motion sickness from a video game, and this one was no different for me.

Tomato

Postby Tomato » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:24 am

Beeper

Postby Beeper » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:35 am

I just got to play the Toybox today and came to the forums for this reason! I was also experiencing motion sickness with this game. It's not as bad as when I play FPS games as I was able to play for more than 15 minutes, but it was still there. The last time I experienced this with a non-first person game, it was with a Toy Story 2 game, IIRC, that had come out on the N64. I'm not exactly sure what it is either that is causing it, but I want to say it's probably mostly the camera. I remember the Toy Story game had some weird camera thing going on with it that caused me to get really dizzy after a while. I am not sure if it's the quickness of the camera, the closeness of it to Yooka and Laylee, or if it's frame rate or a combination. Regardless, it is rather an issue for me. Hopefully the final game will have that resolved!

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:56 am

After watching many 30FPS videos of a game and then witnessing it in realtime at 60FPS, it does jar me a little bit, and I can get very slightly dizzy. But I adjust to it very quickly and have no problems from then on. Aside from the rare headache I don't think I've ever actually had full-on motion sickness from video games.

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:40 pm

The camera movement stutters.
If you watch a 60fps video of the Toybox on YouTube, and lower the speed to 0.25x, you can clearly see it.
The game feels a tad un-smooth because of this. It tends to strain my eyes and distract me. That could easily be what's making you motion sick/dizzy.

I have checked before, it seems that when the camera is stationary, there is no stutter/jitter (based on screen transitions, and smoke poof animations.) Let's hope Playtonic fixes this by the time the game releases.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”