I have to commend Playtonic in terms of font size...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
WyvernWings

I have to commend Playtonic in terms of font size...

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:03 pm

I could have said this a month ago when the E3 trailer dropped, but I seriously have to applaud the team for opting to give Yooka Laylee a wonderfully large font size, in an age when nearly every game being released nowadays has to have font that's either small, or too small

Though I have crystal clear vision without the need for glasses or contacts, I still struggle to comfortably read what a HD game has to say. There are some games I literally cannot play because the font is so tiny I have to lean over and squint on what everything says, and that strains my eyes and I need to stop after 5 minutes
Before HD, the games we had had perfectly acceptable font size, and reading was comfy at its comfiest. Then HD happened, and suddenly, various developers got this mindset of putting tiny text in their games, because... Um, why? Really, why? I mean, just because we have clearer picture thanks to HD, doesn't mean you should give every one of your games 0.5-size font, especially when there's still a lot of empty space within textboxes, or when there is a lot of action happening on screen as you're trying to read at the same time. It's not necessary. I mean yeah, I have good eye sight, but I don't want to ruin my eyes. Do these people know that reading super tiny font is actually not good for your eyes? It's bad enough staring at a screen for hours on end, not blinking and straining them, as playing video games makes us forget to do these things a lot of the time. I can think of a certain JRPG for the WiiU and a certain colourful remake on the PS4 that opts to have excruciatingly tiny font. Seriously, why does every game "need" to have small text now?

When I booted up Yooka Laylee's toybox, with my computer connected to my television, I was pleasantly surprised to see how lovely bloated Inept's dialogue was on my TV screen. I haven't felt this comfortable reading in a new game since... well, I don't really know exactly. I guess Nuts & Bolts, with that patch that enlarged the font size (because the font was too small on that game as well), but that was it, really.

--

So I have to say, Thank you so much Playtonic, for ensuring the game is not only faithful to your past work, but also retaining those eye-friendly reading practices from yesteryear. Yooka Laylee (The toybox, at least) has the comfiest reading experience I've had from a new game in ages. Seriously!
Can I encourage you to keep giving your future projects decent font size, like in Yooka Laylee please? It's simply refreshing, relieving and a lot more enjoyable for our eyes, to see that in a new game.

Keep up the good work!!

ps: please give your forums a font setting of up to 10,000 if you can. I must read one letter at a time to absorb the awesomeness of actually reading something comfortably big. thxbye
Last edited by WyvernWings on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punksthetic

Re: I have to commend Playtonic in terms of font size...

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Nicely done.

I agree, though. I was pleased not just with the font size and how it mirrored almost exactly the old Banjo games (just with a nice, crisp, high resolution) but ALSO because the font itself was lifted from the old games as well. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who really disliked the new font chosen for the ports of the first two games as well as for Nuts n' Bolts, but I'm so glad they changed it back to the classic style. It's so much more simple and elegant to read this way. Perfection.

BlackKoromon

Postby BlackKoromon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:28 pm

I agree, the new font in the ports is a definite step backwards and doesn't fit well into the games. Other things like the new suddenness of music transitions also felt jarring to me.

More important though is definitely the OP's message. I have 2 perfectly adequate TVs, one CRT (still the best for PS2 and earlier) and one LCD but the LCD one is a fairly early model and so deals terribly with anything not output in its natural resolution, Jpegging edges and such. Games play fine on it but MMOs and MMO-likes read like "Defeat ~~~ Name ~~~ ○/◊." for example. One card game I litterally had to learn via algebra the patterns of fuzz generated for each number.

I have never had any problems with good oldfashioned games of readable fontsize and see zero reason to spend a fortune on a new TV when my inability to read is largely the developers' fault.
Thanks Playtonic for doing things right.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Yeah I like it big. They made the mistake of tiny text on Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts and a after a flood of complaints they made it bigger In a patch.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:22 pm

Here here. The font size is great. A lot of games don't consider this. I end up having to squint at text whenever I increase the resolution; the game looks nicer but the text and UI gets so small it's unreadable. Especially since this is a game aimed at all ages, a large font size will help younger players read the dialogue.

I would like to ask that there be a way to scroll up to see previously spoken dialogue, though. I mentioned this in the Toybox discussion thread, but I'll restate it here. My 7 year old niece, just entering 2nd grade, loves Banjo-Kazooie but she can't keep up with the dialogue since she's not a strong reader. It goes by too fast for her, so I end up reading it all to her. It's fun to have this experience together, but she won't be able to play it by herself until she is a better reader. A way to review recently spoken dialogue would be a plus for her.
you kuh lady

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:08 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”