The animations in Yooka Laylee remind me of classic Chuck Jones cartoons.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
All Meshed Up

The animations in Yooka Laylee remind me of classic Chuck Jones cartoons.

Postby All Meshed Up » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Chuck Jones was a god-like animator in a time where hand drawn animation was still being refined as an art-form. His movement was fluid, gorgeous, expressive, and most of all the characters appeared to actually have a skeleton even dis spite their exaggerated actions.
Yooka Laylee, even in this early state, features the same kind of motion and infusion of believable character into the digital models. The shifting of Yooka's weight from head to hips to tail produces a charming sway. Laylee's effortless transition from hovering to resting is seamless and as innate to her as it would be.
I really want to thank Playtonics and all the artists there for not just bringing me back to the days of the N64 and Banjo-Kazooie, but beyond that to my earliest memories growing up in the late 80's on the classic cartoons that gave me an abiding love for animation and art in general. As I continue working to become an animator in my own right, it is games like this that keep me interested and inspired.

Pisuke85

Re: The animations in Yooka Laylee remind me of classic Chuck Jones cartoons.

Postby Pisuke85 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:02 am

I know what you are talking about. Characters whose motion was rendered throughout their body in an elegant, unutterable manner. For instance, among others, our late Claude Cat!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”