NEW TRAILER - Gamescom 2016

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Re: NEW TRAILER - Gamescom 2016

Postby Taylor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Hahaha! This is going to be great!

In several occasions the animations still look alpha but they are still worked upon.

The music is great as ever.
But the music didn't felt sync with the environment I saw in the trailer completely,
Or was it not meant to?
A bit too orchestral/epic? Guess we'll see.
Music sounds great though!

And I spot a stamina meter :p
I like this, but I expect there will be people complaining, as usual with any kind of "limiting"(not) mechanic.

Really like the water berry, super mario sunshine v2! Water looks awesome.
Hoping there will be some physics involved.

Starting to like Big B alot more.

Can't wait :)

Our retro platformers certainly seem
A lot more modernised!
Last edited by Yavga on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stop picking your nose

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:02 pm

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:41 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Alright! Watched all the footage lots of times, time to pile on thoughts (not that they matter but that's what a forum is right? :D)

GAMESCOM FOOTAGE: Wow. Seriously, wow. Amazing music first off. The world designs are all fantastic. I love the Yooka snow plow more than I can accurately express. It's adorable and fun all in one. My first reaction to the fart bubble was "ugh, juvenile, it actually made it in", but as I watched the trailer a third, fourth, etc time I thought it was funnier every time.

EUROGAMER: Now this is seriously fantastic. THE WORLD DESIGN IS AMAZING. I also looooooooove the little transition between areas, nails that Banjo-Kazooie feeling. The characters look great, and the sprites when they're talking are spot on too. Whoever thought to add that thick black outline to their sprites? Genius, give them a raise. Reminds me of great tattoo art, to be honest. The voice over pacing is really improved as well. Kartos sounds perfect. Minecart sections look fun, and I like the diamonds you collect though I wonder if they may be too similar in color to the sky behind them. Might blend in. But maybe that's part of "the point" so to speak. The jungle area and foliage looks great. I do wonder if there could be even more grass in some areas in the PC version. Or a setting to "Toggle Extra Foliage" or something. If not, whatever, that's nitpicky. I also get that every additional "toggle" is pointless work. There also seems to be a "look-around" mode added! Love the rainbow when you jump off after making Nimbo rain. I'm not going to comment on every second of the video (I could) but let's just say GOOD LORD I LOVE EVERYTHING IN THIS. EVERY SINGLE NANOSECOND.

VIDEOGAMER: Nothing new to say really, still drooling over the environments.

Only real negative (that Andy has already addressed); there's quite a bit of asset pop-in. I can totally live with it, if this happened to be THEE final build. But I do think that's a good opportunity to improve. Some frame rate dropping as well, but I've never been a "6000 fps or bust" kinda person anyway.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:46 pm

That's a good point, walking on the floor underwater is pretty interesting!

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Ok, this is all awesome. The worlds definitely do look like you just want to get in there and explore every nook and cranny. I love the way the hub (?) world looks. It seems very industrialized yet still seems to have aspects of the worlds in some areas (the portion where YL rolled down a slope and there was greenery, likely the entrance to Tribalstack Tropics). Looks very fun!

Some things I noticed. During the part where you are the snowplow and topple the pile of snow, there are green pants hidden underneath. Wondering if there's a character who needs those pants.

One of the ghost writers requires something to be fed to it. I am hoping that this ghostwriter doesn't ask for the same thing in each level that's conveniently just a few steps away from it. Having to search the world for an item to feed would be an added challenge.

The snow enemies look cool, and definitely makes me have hope that there will be level specific enemies and not just generic blue and orange guys over and over.

The character blurbs and voices are really well done (from what I could vaguely hear), so well done with that! I also like how Scoffsalot was hidden in an area and not just out in the open. Makes the exploring portion (what I love) seem right on point.

Puzz has no dwelling :( She's just out in the open in the ice world just like in TT. I know there was a topic about this created previously. Seeing as how everything else seemed to look organic and work, I have faith that her positioning in the worlds will be just as organic. I am only hoping that the little atom thing to collect to give her isn't just a few steps away from her in every level. The way the glowbo was always right near Mumbo or Humba made finding them extremely pointless since it was always so easy.

The worlds just look so beautiful. Really. The designs just work so well and every little detail adds to the charm this game already seems to have. And though the gameplay footage didn't have any music, I have full faith that the music in the game will be awesome simply based on the trailer music.

Wow. Give me this game now.

StarErik

Postby StarErik » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:58 pm

How that frame stutter at 1:27 made it into the final cut, I have no idea.

I am not a fan of the music. Not a great mix either.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:44 pm

k

In what way is the mix poor? Because it's not :|
You're really digging for negatives :lol:

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Still looking great! It definitely feels like there's a lot of placeholder animation and UI stuff, but hey that's what the extra dev time is for!

I'm happy we're starting to see some more enemy variety, even just aesthetically, the level specific enemy stuff was always one of my favorite things in Banjo so it's good to see it isn't just all the minion guys.

Astounded every time I see just how much these guys are squeezing out of their modestly sized team and budget, just floored really.

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:52 pm

I imagine the characters will only have a limited moveset while being in the fart bubble, pretty much like Metal Mario had underwater in SM64.

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:53 pm

I love the new trailer! All the new footage has just gotten me more excited for the game.

And the idea behind the googly eyes seemingly possessing random objects to attack you? A really creative idea, all things considered! It was the eyes all along! :lol:

I'm certain most everything will be cleaned up quite nicely by release. This is the game I've waited over a decade for! <3

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Wow! This trailer has me more hyped for the game than ever. I seriously can't wait to play the full game.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Trailer looks SO good.

TheFlamingSatire

Postby TheFlamingSatire » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:42 pm

They still got like 5-7 months of polishing the game. That is plenty of time for optimization one would think and because Team17 are doing the majority of the QA testing they're gonna be fine.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:44 pm

There's all theses effects with the books and letters - flying through the air, though tubes, rising like bubbles out of toxic goo... just really visually interesting stuff.
The entrance to the Hub Lair looks pretty cool, too. Hard to beat the bridge extending spiral mountain, but quite the use of honeycomb patterns, letters/toxic goo, the sort of contrast with the nice, natural environment ... pretty cool!
(So what I'm getting is that the energy from the books is somewhat volatile/hard-to-contain. The hub seems overrun with strange plants, some clearly to do with the first "Tribalstack Tropics" Grand Tomb.)
The music is atmospheric and nice to listen to. Doesn't floor me or anything but as Grant re-arranges the melody between areas, with the inevitable final boss mix ... gonna be great! (And the main hub theme is a very likely contender for the full-orchestra treatment, ahhh)

One surprise: these Knights of Ham-a-lot must appear throughout the game. The food-loving fellow clearly isn't a part of the jungle world, and neither would Lady Leap-a-lot. So if they're likely to be like Clara and pop up in different worlds, a Medieval World doesn't seem *as* likely.

One dissapointment: Many of the doors in T.T. seem to be portals ... just want to see some indoor areas. Similarly I hope to be able to go inside the some of the Castle elements in G.G. Mario always loved to give me tantalizing assets I can't go inside; Banjo was far more generous.

A few other things:
-- World-specific minions? Those mini-yettis could be replacing the trolls from T.T.

-- It's not just Jungle plants in the Hub area, some don't fit with a world theme we know. (0:08 - 0:12 ... dark mosses, different trees/plants; they seem more Swamp-like)

EDIT: Anything truly negative I could say would be quibs about missing animations and stuff like that. This game has only been in full-on development for just over a year (considering a smaller team did groundwork for the first 6 months). Amazing this all looks so very nice, really!!!

prizna

Postby prizna » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:38 am

Love the trailer, also hope the things people have mentioned can be improved in the polishing stages.

The Rings: The rings vanishing instantly instead of using a disappearing animation doesn't look right.

Animations: There just seems to be a few animations missing, like no pushing animation in the Toybox, as someone mentioned, there is no build up to the run animation, they just go straight into the run animation loop.

Yooka and Laylee are completely still during the fart bubble 'move', needs a squinting animation or something.

Frame Drops: The fps drop during the mine cart segment in the trailer worries me slightly, it being in the trailer makes me concerned that maybe they can't fix this.

Physics: I know this is a big one and probably won't be able to be fixed so close to release, but the physic in the Toybox (breaking crates/boxes) as well as the snowplough breaking things in the trailer, they just look very blocky in the way the break/fall.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”