Voice mumbling on transformations

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rueckkoppler

Voice mumbling on transformations

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:37 pm

The new trailer made me think of something. Since all transformations seem to finally combine both characters (instead of the B-K games in which they implied that Kazooie was just hiding, untransformed, in her backpack), how about new gibberish sounds for both characters? In the case of the snow plough for example, how about a lower pitched horn for Yooka and a higher pitched one for Laylee? I think that there's endless potential for hilarious situations when Playtonic goes the extra mile for that. And it would underline the cohesion between both characters, since they would sound similar in a, well, combined state.

Taylor

Re: Voice mumbling on transformations

Postby Taylor » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 am

Sounds like a fun idea, but also a logistical nightmare to me. Take the truck for example; what will the talking head icon be? Do we need two -- one showing Yooka's eyes, one showing Laylee's? The eyes are pretty close to together... how would that work? Do the transformations have a 'split' personality; sometimes talking as Yooka, sometimes as Laylee?

So many complications that I can't even begin to answer.
Taylonic Ltd.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm

I agree with Taylor. I always liked how it was done in Banjo- each character still had their icon and voice while transformed. It made me think that they actually speak like normal and that the NPCs were just too stupid to recognize two voices from one character, which still makes me laugh.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:59 pm

You've got some good points, guys. All transformations so far combined both characters in one "creature" or object and didn't transform them in two separate creatures... . So in these cases, it's hard to create different sprites of both characters, even with their own set of googly eyes. Nah, I wasn't thinking about using the same sprite for both characters, but much rather zoomed in / out parts of the transformations.

Yep, Octopeart! The way they did it in the Banjo games made the transformations look like a cheap disguise and the characters themselves kinda cheeky/ballsy, which was hilarious in its own way. I'm especially thinking about the dialogue with the guard at the colosseum entrance in Mayahem Temple, who said that "it's pretty obvious" that they're trying to fool him. Well, it's probably staying that way in Yooka-Laylee, when I'm thinking about it!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:43 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”