I made a Yooka laylee inspired boss song called 'Beehave Please'

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
SpoilThatSong

I made a Yooka laylee inspired boss song called 'Beehave Please'

Postby SpoilThatSong » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:30 am

I absolutely adore the music from Banjo Kazooie and what I've heard of Yooka Laylee so far. I decided to have a go at making boss music for what I imagine the final battle against Capital B will be like. After making something on piano, I eventually decided to create it in Ableton Live 8 with orchestral instruments. Here's the result.

Hope you enjoy it! :)

PixelKing

Re: I made a Yooka laylee inspired boss song called 'Beehave Please'

Postby PixelKing » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:11 am

Really good stuff! I hear the Kirkhope influence for sure, but it also has an original element to it too, which is very important. 8-) Keep up the good work!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Cool stuff! I've been thinking about writing some YL inspired stuff myself recently.

I would say what you've done is great, but lacks the urgency of a final battle. It perhaps has the same sense of urgency as The Great Mighty Poo (Conker's Bad Fur Day) before throwing any tissue into his mouth; it's relatively relaxed.

It was quite fun to listen to, though I was getting more of a Jet Force Gemini vibe -- perhaps fighting an army of alien wasps.
Taylonic Ltd.

SpoilThatSong

Postby SpoilThatSong » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, you should definitely have a go at creating something YL related. It's good fun and good practise as well!

I actually agree with your point about it lacking urgency. I think it starts off quite well but loses some of its urgency during the middle of the piece. This is one of the first pieces that I did using just orchestral instruments, so I'm sure the next time I do a similar piece it'll be more refined.

Jet Force Gemini is actually one of the few Rare games I haven't played.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”