Eurogamer writer teases "cool announcement" for tomorrow

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Operationgamer17

Eurogamer writer teases "cool announcement" for tomorrow

Postby Operationgamer17 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:43 pm

At EGX, a writer teased a cool announcement for Yooka-Laylee tomorrow. https://www.twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/s ... 4217090052

Rueckkoppler

Re: Eurogamer writer teases "cool announcement" for tomorrow

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:01 pm

A cool announcement? I love cool announcements! I wonder what it'll be...

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Possible announcements could be a wide release of the demo or a release date, but I have a feeling both of those are big enough that Playtonic would have teased it more. Any other ideas?

Edit: They just tweeted to watch the stream for a surprise!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:51 am

Where could I watch this stream?
Stop picking your nose

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 am

Welcome back :mrgreen:

It'll be on the EGX Twitch. (Don't have the link but probably pretty googleable. I'm just gonna catch the YouTube when I wake, maybe.)

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:25 pm

https://www.twitch.tv/egx

It should be on this stream in 90 minutes. Schedule at https://www.egx.net/egx/2016/developer-sessions-2016 says 4pm BST. It is currently 2:30 BST.

And Yooka-Laylee is the last developer event on for all of EGX! Something big this way comes.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Would be great if the announcement were a NX port of Yooka-Laylee, or physical copies of the game being sold in retail stores when it is released.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:25 pm

20 minutes of talking mostly about everything heard in previous interviews, and now a trailer! (Edit: Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/3TZo5Gnxog8)

Wonderful logos. It's a character introduction trailer. Y/L, Capital B, Trowzer, Dr. Quack, Rextro, Dr. Puzz, Blasto, Kartos, "And Many More!". 6 other charaters.

Special Guest! Shovel Knight...

I don't like... I really don't like the pandering. I don't like Shovel Knight cameos in fifteen different games. What the hell.

Hey, Playtonic, is the Wii U version going to be modifiable to strip SK out of there?

For a premier title for a company, merging different franchises sounds dumb. It means there is no "pure" game for the "Playtonic Universe". I feel it taints it, ruins any continuity. I mean, I'm not really a fan of Mario Kart 8 saying that Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Animal Crossing are part of the same universe; I was OK with Smash Bros being a cross of all IPs because, that's what it was founded to be.

It would be like having Banjo Kazooie featuring Pikachu or Glover...
Last edited by Exaskryz on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:28 pm

Yeah, I kinda.. Dislike the SK inclusion.

I do understand that SK was a highly successful KS game, and a great game in it's own right, but.. This seems very out of nowhere. The games are barely related.

Preston

Postby Preston » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm

I think its pretty cool

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Shovel knight! Hahaha!

Great one XD loved the stream!

I think Shovel Knight looks really wacky in a good way. I don't mind his inclusion. I mean... He fits right into the universe, a pogo-stick pig knight and a shovel wearing knight. I never really played or liked shovel knight as the game felt "too slow" for me but who knows. Perhaps I'll start liking the fellow some more this way and give it another shot. Maybe.

I love the way Gavin said that they value their secrecy! I think that is a wise choice. Also that means we've only touched the surface so far. It's good to surprise. Kuddos.

Nice to see that we've seen the face behind the voice of the pagie. Chris seems like a total nice guy, good to see these kind of people create this kind of game.

Probably no ledge grab but "a different way" to approach the same problem. I would guess Yooka's tongue :)
Also Chris tried to explain something technical:
As far as I understood what he wanted to bring across is that you won't fall off a ledge that easily. Because when you approach the edge and not directly walk towards the air there's apparantly some kind of force that brings you back more towards the platform you are on.

There were alot of questions being asked, that seems very promising.

Playtonic, you did a great job. To me it seems very stressing to get everything out in the open the right way during all these interviews, meetings and events. You kept your cool so far and played it smooth. Can't wait to play the game.
Last edited by Yavga on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stop picking your nose

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:39 pm

I like Shovel Knight (his model and voice are awesome), but I wish we got to see the extent of his inclusion! At first I was thinking you take control of him to find pagies/etc., but maybe he shows up in each world to present some special kind of platforming challenge or something. I wonder if he's at all related to the co-op mode...

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm

The trailer has Yooka saying he's an NPC, so hopefully at best he's there for only one pagie.

I may just 100% the game one time, and then in all replays, skip the Shovel Knight component -- a true Playtonic 100%.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:47 pm

I SAW SHOVEL KNIGHT!

EDIT: Man! It's been a while since the last time I was here.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Stop picking your nose

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Not to be a negative nancy, Playtonic, but do you think you could give us the ability to toggle these cameo characters on or off? I really am rather put off by the prospect of HAVING to see cameo characters in order to 100% the game. It kind of pulls me out of the experience.
I love the Playtonic universe thus far. It doesn't need Shovel Knight in it. It just feels rather like a cash-in, and I hate to think that way about you. I know how much your team cares about the fans and your product.

Sorry I didn't enjoy the reveal :c

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Stop picking your nose

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:18 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:18 pm

I hate the cameo character idea overall, but I am so completely sick of Shovel Knight appearing in absolutely everything. We get it, they made an indie game too. I don't see why it was so highly regarded. It was a serviceable 2D action platformer. It certainly didn't change my life or change any genres.

Can't wait to stop seeing Shovel Knight everywhere. What a sellout announcement. Playtonic was making their own unique universe and now these other universes can stop by to take a crap in it and ruin the immersion.
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Stop picking your nose

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”