Polishing stage

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Polishing stage

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:01 pm

25/9/16
In the latest Q&A with playtonic during EGX it is now knows Playtonic will focus all of their effort at polishing the game with the time remaining. We've seem a fair deal of gameplay material so far.

What things did you notice during all footage that you wish they will work upon? Did you notice any weird sounds, weird textures or models, anything of the sort? Something out of place? Any concerns? Please discuss!
Stop picking your nose

Exaskryz

Re: Polishing stage

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:19 pm

There was this weird big blue knight with a shovel. Seems unintentional. I hope they can clear that up and get it out of the game.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Aside from the glitched enemy and the minor lag during the livestream, I don't see anything they need to fix.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:57 pm

demalmar

Postby demalmar » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:58 pm

The clouds appearing to change the model for the character after getting in the platform look terrible. It would be more elaborated if there was an animation more like Banjo Kazooie, taking some time to transform. What about an electrocution when the ray touch them? (

Also, the sound for the screen change (black curtain with the YL faces hole) sounds kind of wrong. Like the pitch is not really depurated. I would suggest to rework it to make it more clear and simple.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 pm

This might belong in the ideas thread, but when you take damage I think the red outline on the characters looks a little too much like a video game. I think making Yooka's skin turn red instead of outlining it might look more natural while still conveying that you got hurt.

I agree on the transformation animation- it looks a little too clean and cartoony, I like the way Banjo stretched and shrunk before the little explosive reveal of the transformation! Also, unless the 3-D X button that appears above you on the transformation pad appears in other contexts in the game, I think a little text box on the bottom of the screen would look a lot better. I feel like the same way about the 3-D speech bubbles above NPC heads- 3-D objects like these look out of place when they're actually present in the space. In my opinion, text always looks better because it's very clearly not meant to be a part of the world.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 pm

I'll be honest, with the new trailer I came out of it feeling negatively disappointed rather than positively excited.

It's only with the characters mind, the gameplay looks spot on. The characters voice samples sound way too similar to Nuts&Bolts boring and mildly annoying voices rather than Kazooie and Tooies charming and memorable voices. Anyone get what I mean? I can't explain it well. And obviously I'd rather the NPCs to be under shelters, in huts or homes of sorts. I just got a real nuts and bolts feel from this trailer.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Stop picking your nose

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:38 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Is it just me or does Shipwreck Creek look extra nice in this trailer? Colors and environmental details look more finely tuned. If they're starting final art passes, the starting area could very well be first up!

Some voices are better than others. Laylee's is perfect.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I agree about Shipwreck Creek, it looks awesome! I think since we haven't heard too many voices but some that we have sound like people (Kartos, Shovel Knight), it gives the "Nuts n Bolts" impression that someone mentioned- I'm sure a majority of the characters sound more like animals/objects than the people making them, we just haven't heard enough.

Unrelated, but the Ghost Writer icons that pop up when you collect them should be animated, maybe even identical to their talking sprites, like the jinjos. I feel bad mentioning things like this that are probably just relics of an old build, though.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:40 pm

I think what's key with regards to to recurring characters like Puzz and Trowzer is the presentation and world-building aspect. It's not that they have to go the route of Banjo-Kazooie, but something other than the characters just sort of standing there. Mario Galaxy, for example, had the Captain Toad crew appear in many levels -- rather than always in the ship, they were often interacting with the environment in some way (exploring, repairing their ship, in danger, etc) ... and they would have their own theme music when you spoke to them, also.

What we've seen is reportedly round abouts two months old build and it wasn't long ago they were still considering an October release. I'm sure they think about how they'll present the characters and make them feel alive within the game's world. What *little* we've seen of Dr. Puzz in the first two worlds doesn't seem to achieve this at the same level Banjo did (same pose/set-up in both worlds ... less presentation doesn't excite, dialogue aside) but there's much we haven't seen and it's all in progress!

I would agree that I hope to hear some more character-specific themes!!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:44 pm

I listened to the voices from BK/BT again and then went through the gameplay stuff again.

Quite ironically; the thing that may notice being off could be the difference in sound quality. Where BK/BT obviously was less in sound quality (N64 did not have a separate audio chip)
Yooka Laylee does not have this issue. My theory becomes more logically when you compare the voices from Yooka Laylee with voices from Nuts and Bolts.

When the quality of the sound is less the experience becomes somewhat more "fuzzier" leaving more to the imagination.
Stop picking your nose

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 pm

I think that's absolute it. There are pros and cons to the enhanced audio-visual clarity Yooka enjoys.

Relatedly, they've talked about how the gobbledegook was sorta out of necessity on the N64, but has been a sort of challenge to emulate with modern equipment.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Honestly, I like the voices. True, the don't exactly sound like BK and BT voices, but at the very least, it's the same method of using small voice clips for dialogue rather than the general mumbling used for Nuts & Bolts.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 pm

What if they compressed the voice clips? Then again people would probably complain about low-fi audio if they did that.
Make the forum great again.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:28 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Now there's an idea. Great attention to detail too.
Make the forum great again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”