Shovel Knight in Yooka-Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

Re: Shovel Knight in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:51 pm

For perspective, they did originally mention an interest in company-specific Mario / Banjo cameos. Shovel Knight doesn't have the same broad appeal, but he's a lot easier to get in.

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:06 pm

I doubt Shovel Knight's appearance in the game will be very significant. I think people are far too upset by such a small inclusion. If he's a minor character that appears once or twice in the game, who cares? If he's promoted to a regular supporting character like Trowzer or Dr Puzz, then I could see the problem. But I don't think that's the case.

With a team of developers creating a universe that's not afraid to break the fourth wall, such an inclusion is hardly an issue, especially since Shovel Knight comically acknowledges that he's accidentally found his way into the wrong game universe.
Last edited by Spydr Webz on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 pm

I love YL. I love shovel knight. I just hope this works.

Screw it. It WILL work.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:09 pm

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:30 pm

Stop picking your nose

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:43 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:01 am

My distaste with it is seriously just that he's so overused I could puke, and that he's taking a space that could have been an in universe character. 17+ cameos now as was pointed out. Get a new indie poster boy. Someone else mentioned it could have just been his helmet hidden in a secret hard to reach area. That's an Easter Egg for the SK fans. This is a bit on the nose and out of the YL universe.

Oh well. Looks like I'll just have to go "ugh, this part" every time I play YL.
Make the forum great again.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:11 am

Wow! So much hate for Shovel Knight already.

The only complaint I see here, is that Shovel Knight gets shoved, into every known indie game they make.

^These complaints ain't new. It almost sounds like complaints for every video game company (Nintendo only focuses on Mario and Zelda, that they don't focus that much on Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.; Sega is the same like Nintendo when it comes to Sonic; Actvision is the same with Nintendo and Sega when it comes to Call of Duty; and my complaint in which every video game company always focuses on first/third person shooters that are the same, and 2D platformers).^

Is all about taste. If you taste something bittersweet, and don't like it that much, don't eat it. No one's forcing you.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:48 am

What if... Shovel Knight is attempting to turn every good game into shovelware...

What if... You're next?

Are we prepared? Have we been eluded all this time?

Things are getting real now, it's not just a video game with a cameo anymore. Yooka Laylee became victim of a contagious disease.

We should be more emotional and serious with these kind of events. It's no laughing matter.
Stop picking your nose

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:37 am

Liraco

Postby Liraco » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 pm

*devs walk into forum to see how excited people are*
*read all the hate* :cry:

I for one dig the cameo. :mrgreen: It's also a nod at the only other (so far) successful Kickstarter game that's so far delivered the experience it promised (I'm looking right at you, MN9). Was it necessary? No, but cameos aren't by nature. Cameos are about having fun, just like other easter eggs they'll surely put in the game. If they also had Banjo-Kazooie cameo, that'd be a nice nod at their roots, but that depends on Microsoft, I'm sure (just saying "we're cool with that" doesn't make lending an IP automatic).

Besides, it's not like they tried to shove every indie character as NPCs in the game (Shantae, Commander Video, Meatboy, etc.)

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:14 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Make the forum great again.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Why isn't a Rocket League car in this game? That'd be more related to Yooka-Laylee's roots, given Banjo and Kazooie's affinity for cars. That would be more suitable than Shoved Knight.

TheFlamingSatire

Postby TheFlamingSatire » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 pm

A retro-inspired platformer character in a retro-inspired platformer. Apparently that's a bad idea for some reason? I get that he has been shoe-horned into every indie game but the only ones we can blame for that is Yacht Club so why are we mad at Playtonic for that exactly? I get it, you don't like cameos but you guys are acting like it's the end of the world. I'm sorry you're getting more content and that you are being so butthurt about it. If you don't like the character itself then i can see why you are upset, but other then that? Don't have a clue. LMFAO, i bet you guys were upset when Battletoads got into Shovel Knight too. :lol:

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:36 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”