More Indie characters: Yea or Nay?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Would you like to see more Indie game characters in Yooka-Laylee?

Yea
21%
Nay
55%
Depends... (Explain)
24%

Total votes: 42

EekumBokum202

More Indie characters: Yea or Nay?

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:30 pm

So. Shovel Knight's a character in Yooka-Laylee. And if this Eurogamer article is anything to go by:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... oka-laylee

Chris Sutherland hints that there might be more where that came from... But is that a good thing? I've seen people already upset about Shovel Knight's inclusion, while others couldn't be happier about it... Since we know the blokes at Playtonic care about what we have to say, what's your stance on this? Are you for or against having characters from other Indie developers or Indie games in Yooka-Laylee?

I can understand why people would be against this; after all, you run the risk of having the guest characters outshine the stars of the game! I'm pretty sure Playtonic's well aware of this risk and will try not to let Shovel Knight (or anyone else) steal Yooka and Laylee's thunder. There's also the fact that not a whole lot of people like or have played the game Shovel Knight. I'm in a bunch of so-called "worst fandoms ever" so believe me when I say I know what it's like to have something you love hated for it's mere existence just by showing up ANYWHERE... Shovel Knight hasn't QUITE reached that level, but given that he's appeared in games like Runbow and Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, and is set to appear in Hex Heroes and Indivisible, I sense that this level over exposure will be sure to set some people off...

That being said, I like this a lot, and it's not just because I love Shovel Knight! Remember back in Banjo-Tooie, where Sabreman made an appearance in Hailfire Peaks? This is simply another hero crossing over into this game, and it's all in good fun! And frankly, I wouldn't mind if Shovel Knight is all we get, because Shovel Knight's awesome, and he looks great in this game!

...Of course, if I WERE to hope for more Indie game characters, and Chris Sutherland did hint at that in the aforementioned Eurogamer article, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more; that is to say, maybe 1 character per world? What is there, like 5 worlds in this game? Shovel Knight's going to be in the Jungle world it seems... But what about the others? Well, I'd like to see...

Shantae - Might as well get the other well-known Indie character in on this.

Sans (from Undertale) - Speaking of "worst fandoms ever". People can call the game overrated and the fandom "cancer" all they want, but I still think Undertale is a brilliant game, and Sans feels like the kind of character who'd fit in perfectly with a game like this, what with the corny/immature jokes and all.

Rusty (from Steamworld Dig) - Image & Form has been slowly making a name for themselves with Steamworld Dig and now Steamworld Heist. Seeing Rusty in this game would be pretty awesome IMO, especially if it's in that industrial area we've seen (unless that's just part of the hub world).

I'm not too sure about the fifth one... I want to say Juan from Guacamelee! or the Drifter from Hyper Light Drifter, but I don't think either of them talk... Max from Mutant Mudds? I guess they can go to Atooi which now owns the rights, since Renegade Kid split up. Lilac from Freedom Planet would be cool, too.

But, whatever, I'm rambling here. What about you? Are you fine with Indie characters in Yooka-Laylee? Would you like to see more? If so, which would you like to see? Also, let's try to keep things civil here.
Last edited by EekumBokum202 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

dotEXE

Re: More Indie characters: Yea or Nay?

Postby dotEXE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 pm

I'd consider Shantae close to worst-fandom status. It's really a problem of over-exposure all around. Undertale almost hit that level for me too but luckily I played it before people started telling everyone they HAVE TO play it. I don't even disagree that Sans would be a good fit, I just sort of wanted YL to be its own thing.

So I vote Nay. I think their universe should stand on its own, not drown in "HEY 'MEMBER THIS!?" references. It could very quickly become an obnoxious parade of pop culture (as pop as indie can get) references.

I paid for Yooka Laylee. Not Yooka Knight Shantae Tale No.9.
Make the forum great again.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:09 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:53 am

Hmmmm... Actually I wouldn't mind some more characters if PT manages to find a wacky way to make it fit story wise. Like some weird interdimensional mistake that Puzz made and now she opened up a portal to God knows where.

But even then I'd rather have some old Rare cameos like from Jet Force Gemini or Mr. Pants instead of other franchises.

People can say what they want but this game will inevitably be linked and compared to the old games, hence the spiritual sequel. So the game still feels part of the Rare Universe in that sense.

They can ofcourse break this immersion by introducing cameos like Shovelware Knight and other games so the similarities become less, perhaps so people will step away from the old Rare feeling and create a new connection with this Playtonic universe.

It's a long shot but one that could make sense right?
Stop picking your nose

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:17 am

No! I don't like the fact that there's already one, never mind many more.
I wanted this to be a fresh brand new world not tainted by anything else.

If they go ahead with agreeing to let loads more outsiders into their game then they have already lost track of what this entire project was about.

BlackKoromon

Postby BlackKoromon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Shovel Knight is fine as a small cameo and that's how he aught to stay. Another big name indie character or two would be OK but we don't want an overabundance of crossovers, anyone who makes us ask "who the hell is this nobody?" or for any of them to outstay their welcome.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:50 pm

On second thought, I do want one more "indie character" making a guest appearance in Yooka-Laylee - the titular hero of; . It would be the closest thing to a Rare character appearing in Y-L, without actually being one. Not only that, but it could also serve as the beginning of a long-lasting partnership between Playtonic Games and Gory Detail. How about it, Gavin?

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:39 pm

God, no.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Don't actively want any but I can't imagine having a reaction any more extreme than "ok." if you don't like the character making a cameo. But at least people acting like this is for some reason a disaster and the end of the world are good for a laugh or two?

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:23 am

Last edited by EekumBokum202 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:09 am

Stop picking your nose

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Oh yeah, Rusty Pup! I've been following Gory Detail for a while, and the game's looking pretty dang awesome, very atmospheric with Rusty Pup himself being full of personality! And since they're made of former Rare guys, I think it would be a nice touch...
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Not really. Mainly because I want Playtonic to get the right recognition.

Haigen

Postby Haigen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:47 pm

In the universe? Sure.

Though in this game I can see 1 per world being a bit of a problem. Perhaps another 1 cameo would be the limit. More towards the end of the game, but it's not needed and whilst the majority of fans don't mind, the salt level on these forums would be off the charts haha.
Twitter | Portfolio | Blog |

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 am

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!

Ciro

Postby Ciro » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:42 am

Voted nay.

I'm okay with an external character cameo, but if they keep putting them the game will turn into Super Meat Boy.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:29 pm

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:49 pm

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!

Ciro

Postby Ciro » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”