Nintendo Switch support for Yooka Laylee?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
timmygeesus

Nintendo Switch support for Yooka Laylee?

Postby timmygeesus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:11 pm

I'm guessing everyone here is aware that the NX is now officially the NINENDO SWITCH! With third-party publishers already confirmed to be on board such as; Bethesda, WB Games, EA and Activision, what do you think the likelihood of Team 17 being on that list is anytime soon with a Yooka Laylee Switch version?

Exaskryz

Re: Nintendo Switch support for Yooka Laylee?

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:55 pm

It supports Unity, so it shouldn't be too hard to get on there if Playtonic wanted. But they may not have it at launch, could be a future port.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Pearcinator

Postby Pearcinator » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:53 am

I expect it will be on the Switch.

My question is; can I change the console I want Yooka-Laylee on from the Wii U to the Switch?

Or, considering it'll be a digital copy of the game. Will it work on both? As it will be tied to the Nintendo eShop.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 am

I think it's a shame that Yooka-Laylee is coming to a console that as of yesterday is officially dead. Glad I changed mine for Xbox One version.

If the game DOES come to the Switch it definitely won't be at launch so if you pledged for wii u version your getting wii u version.

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 am

They've said there's no plans for an NX port on countless occasions.

Just because it has an official name now doesn't mean there's suddenly going to be one.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm

I guess this would depend on if Nintendo Switch has backwards compatibility, and if Wii U games would still work. I'm hoping this is the case, though I probably wont get a Switch right away so it wouldn't matter much.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:50 pm

I just switched from PS4 to Steam like 3 weeks ago, just find the backerkit survey and contact them asking to switch through that. You'll get a response in about a day.

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:52 am

I think a Switch version would make so much sense, first it comes out in March 2017 so it could just be a launch title for the console, alone imagine having Breath of the Wild and Yooka Laylee at launch, that will be so nostalgic for a Nintendo fan. Supports Unity, etc.

I think if a Switch version does happen it will be confirmed in January during the full unveiling.

Gigagun

Postby Gigagun » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:45 am

I think if the game should have a Switch version, it will be after its official release on the other consoles: the schedule of Playtonic must be planned for others consoles (and their boxed releases) and may have no time to make switch version. So, maybe a Switch version, but later...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:47 pm

They could hand this over to Team17 if you ask me... especially since porting should be way easier on Switch than on Wii U.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Around the same erase as the NX? Maybe.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Perhaps someday. Don't expect it any time soon. They had already said, recently mind you, they don't plan on supporting the "NX". I'm sure they were well aware of what the Switch was when they said that, let's be honest. Dev Kits have been around for some time now.

In fact change my answer from maybe to naw.
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Hmmm... Playtonic has stated for no NX report for quite a while. Yet things can change over time. I mean, releasing for Wii U is kinda... Pointless at this stage.

Glad I opted for PC though.
Stop picking your nose

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Why would a Wii U release be pointless?

Assuming the NX isn't backwards compatible with the Wii U, and Nintendo still hasn't brought up their digital software management to speed with MS/Sony/Valve/whatever else, then buying a Switch and playing Yooka Laylee on Wii U still seems reasonable. Less you are one to sell your Wii U and all the games for it.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:14 pm

It would be a missed opportunity if neither Playtonic Games nor Team 17 is willing to make a Switch version of Yooka-Laylee, especially if the Nintendo Switch turns out to be a huge success. And a physical version of Y-L for the NS would also be a really nice thing to have, seeing that it would be on a cartridge - not on a disc.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:35 pm

I wouldn't want this already short staffed studio spending more time making the same game for a different system. Once Yooka-Laylee is out I want them to start work on their next game. The next one can always be on switch.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:30 pm

I've got the answer. Let's not publish Yooka Laylee on either the PS4 or the ONE. They're basically the same console, so why bother making a second copy? :lol:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”