Making the Switch

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

How does the Wii U version's Cancellation affect you?

Happy
19%
Disappointed
19%
Angry
11%
Doesn't affect me/Pledged for non-Nintendo version/Was gonna get a Nintendo Switch anyway
51%

Total votes: 57

Yavga

Re: Making the Switch

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Stop picking your nose

KnifeySkarekrow

Postby KnifeySkarekrow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:06 pm

GIT READY FOR A SHOCK!!!

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Serious question:
Is there anything that Playtonic can do wrong in your eyes?

I'm gone for today. I can't handle all these overly positive comments on this CLEARLY negative news!

KnifeySkarekrow

Postby KnifeySkarekrow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 pm

GIT READY FOR A SHOCK!!!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Stop picking your nose

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:46 pm

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:02 pm

Often games are released to the lowest common denominator which ends up limiting PC releases to current console generation hardware. In a way it's a little encouraging that they're looking to beef up the game so it's more demanding, but I can understand why those that have been around backing this thing since it's kickstarter, those who probably told their mates about it, are those that might end up playing the game much later.

I'm no expert on Unity engines so feel free to chime in on this, happy to be corrected as I want to understand it:
I recall quite early on that one of the selling points of Unity was how relatively easy it is to port to different platforms. Has something changed on that front? Or is it just the power that's required from the ambitious visuals / draw distances / lighting etc that's put the brakes on the Wii U version?

One of the earlier posters alluded to this a little too, but I do wonder if Nintendo has pushed them away from the Wii U deliberately to assist in Switch sales. Probably unlikely but we all love a good conspiracy right?

A lot of people are saying they don't want to get a mid range PC just for Yooka-Laylee, or that the Switch will be too expensive. I appreciate this isn't a great option but it could be cheaper early days to consider getting a first edition Xbox One. Pretty cheap second hand now that the One S is out, with Scorpio around the corner. I know you shouldn't need to do this after backing the game in good faith on Wii U, but it looks to be the most cost effective approach to WiiU only owners early doors. What do you guys think?
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:10 pm

I hadn't even considered that, but it looks like an early Xbox ONE is around $140 on eBay, and Xbox ONE has a decent list of good titles as well. And more coming. Not a bad option for the cost-cutter.
Make the forum great again.

KnifeySkarekrow

Postby KnifeySkarekrow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Working in video game retail, yes, I would recommend Xbox One as the cheapest option to play Y-L.
GIT READY FOR A SHOCK!!!

Blue

Postby Blue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Gosh, things went to heck in a hand-basket real quick.
Anyway...
@Mazlad
That's a good idea, actually. The original PS4 and Xbone are selling for relatively cheap on sites like Ebay and Amazon. It's unfortunate that people with a Wii U may have to opt for getting second-hand consoles, but it's cheaper than getting a Switch or a mid-range PC.
"Hands off my bread."

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Let me know if anyone finds an XBONE or PS4 or a PC for under $60. Then we'd be talking.

And that's a good point someone raised - if they're going to beef up the game to maximize use of the now lowest common denominators PS4/ONE (I don't know which is actually the lowest), then that means in no way will a person without a dedicated gaming PC be able to play this game on PC.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Serious question: is 4 months really not enough time to save up $200 for a console? A console that you can still get use out of? I'm legitimately perplexed by all the whining over this. It's not like any one person is specifically banned from ever playing this game. If there's a will, there's a way...

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:22 pm

^ that's a great point too. That's $25 per pay check. Great perspective there.
Make the forum great again.

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 pm

The issue I have is that I only got my Wii U less than two years ago and now I gotta pay another $250 or so dollars so soon just to have any new Nintendo games to play. Like I knew the Wii U wasn't the most successful console but I figured they at least wouldn't drop support for it until the new console launched.

Just kinda feels like I didn't get as much out of it as I would have liked, and now the one new game I was looking forward to that was coming out for the Wii U... isn't (I know the technical reasons but still a bummer).

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:30 pm

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, angry and have their faith in Playtonic knocked. The majority of people requested the Wii U version; some people only own a Wii U and cannot afford a new system. I can see it being a hard pill to swallow for some.

However, for me, I don't mind at all. I think Switch is clearly the better system and is better suited to the game. I chose the Wii U version, but I'm not too bothered about changing it -- the Wii U is a dying console.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:31 pm

You people are SERIOUSLY discussing buying an alternative console for more than hundred bucks especially for this game???

This is getting ridiculous!
That is NOT a suitable solution...
HOLY COW!!!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Stop picking your nose

Blue

Postby Blue » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:37 pm

"Hands off my bread."

FangztheWolf

Postby FangztheWolf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 pm

As someone who originally backed the Wii U version, I am super excited for it to come out on the Switch, mainly for one reason. This will be a portable version of Yooka Laylee.

While it is sad that the Wii U version is dead in the ground, the excitement for the Switch version makes me glad that I don't have to keep my Wii U out when the Switch arrives.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”