Making the Switch

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

How does the Wii U version's Cancellation affect you?

Happy
19%
Disappointed
19%
Angry
11%
Doesn't affect me/Pledged for non-Nintendo version/Was gonna get a Nintendo Switch anyway
51%

Total votes: 57

Rueckkoppler

Re: Making the Switch

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 pm

You're probably right. I was only looking on "the screen size problem", but laptops with such small screens usually come with weaker onboard-graphic cards. I've got a 15 inch laptop and a GeForce 650M on it, which is missing on the same 13 inch model, for example.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Make the forum great again.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:13 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:40 pm

If you invested your money, you wanted Yooka Laylee to begin with. I assume you wouldn't mind a Yooka Laylee 2 as well. So yep, still hurts you.

Also, if you invest in a stock, and then the market crashes, sorry to say you don't get a refund. Think of Kickstarter the exact same way. You contribute to a risk, the outcome is out of your hands.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:02 pm

kaiserpc

Postby kaiserpc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Having backed various Kickstarters for years - I know exactly how Kickstarter works thanks ;-)

I have been burned on a number of projects, and I have had refunds on a number of projects. So I have no qualms about asking for a refund on this one. Playtonic already mentioned refunds. If I have no option but to get a refund, I will be defo asking for one.

As I said my PC uses a core m (no fan required) chip which uses onboard graphics, specifically Intel Graphics HD 5300 - which isn't brilliant, but much better than your average intel onboard chip. It plays the dolphin emulator on gamecube games okay. But I think this will push it beyond it's limits. As I say if I could try the toybox demo then it might give me an idea if I'll be going the PC or refund route

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:35 pm

If you look at the various rules pages, there's no requirement to do anything more than they've done.
Last edited by dotEXE on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:59 pm

The full resolution isn't explained yet as we have to wait till January.
Left in the dark for now, but I'll be waiting..

wubble

Postby wubble » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:24 pm

I feel mislead and betrayed.
Throughout the entire development process, the Wii U was emphasised as getting particular attention, alongside the PC version.
Then, out of the blue, we're told that it's being cancelled.

I don't believe for a moment that it was cancelled due to technical difficulties; I don't remember these difficulties ever being brought up prior to this point. I'm convinced that it had everything to do with the Switch offering a better financial opportunity, and that Playtonic is just throwing up a standard PR spiel to try and save face.
It's going to take a lot more transparency than "We tried, I triple pwomise" to convince me otherwise.

Probably will be asking for a refund within the week.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Last edited by Piet on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:51 pm

I sincerely hope that Playtonic will never have to go through this anymore. Let's hope the first game will be a major succes even with all these refunds so they never have to rely on crowdfunding anymore. Certain development decisions can hurt others but they are just obvious in the first place :/ but some comments I have seen so far at different sources are beyond reason. Really hurts to read that kind of behaviour.

I trust Playtonic in the fact that this was something beyond their control, something that could go as far as Team 17 intervening I don't know. It would just seem awkward to lie about it as it would be an obvious lie. Perhaps we hear more of it perhaps not. Either way, I'll support them. They filled a gap in my younger years in no way another game or therapist could have done this. It was my world, with my secrets.

The refunds must hurt... A lot. Luckily they could possibly make up the lost revenue with these new pre-orders.

Just... Stay true to the core Playtonic, keep the heart in the games and show people what a small Indie team is capable of through any hardship. Be the story of a team becoming independent and kicking ass more then ever.
Stop picking your nose

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:21 pm

I understand why people are angry about the fact that there is no Wii U version anymore, it being cancelled months before launch is a kick in the face. For me personally I'm getting the Switch day 1 so I am really happy about the Switch version because I rather play it om Nintendo Switch then the Wii U.

However, it is sad that the people that can't/won't get Switch or can't afford it (or the PS4/One/high end PC) can't get the game.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:56 pm

I too hope playtonic can fund their own games beyond Yooka-Laylee. That way they don't owe anybody jackshit when they make executive decisions that are theirs to make.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm getting tired of being frustrated/mad...
Let's just wait and see what happend in the upcoming weeks!

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:25 pm

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:38 pm

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Hey for what it's worth to the people still upset, consider the following:

They said they would say more in January about the Switch version, presumably lining up with the Switch presentation Nintendo is putting out. I'm not suggesting this is like them cutting a deal as much as just an NDA situation where they can't get into specifics with Switch games until Nintendo gives the ok. I'd imagine that's a part of why even after featuring Skyrim in the Switch reveal video that Bethesda just gave a generic "we're interested in developing for this platform" comment.

With that in mind, I'd say maybe it is worth considering that Nintendo might dump Wii-U support hard come the New Year, and I don't just mean ending production of the hardware and no longer releasing titles for it. With their partnership with DeNA they are likely completely revamping their online infrastructure for the Switch, and I don't think it is out of the question that this could lead to them cutting off Wii-U eShop support early in 2017. That would make a Wii-U release basically impossible, and could explain why they were limited in how much info they could give.

Of course that could all be incorrect, but it's worth keeping in mind that it could very well have been out of their control.

All that being said, I wouldn't get on people for asking for refunds. Kickstarters don't need to offer them, but if they are willing to and the reason you pledged in the first place is gone I see no reason why you shouldn't take full advantage of an offered refund.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”