Tinfoil Hat Time

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Tinfoil Hat Time

Postby dotEXE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Warning: the following is completely unfounded.

So the release date was bumped a little as a few of us have chuckled at. But I noticed the words "working closely with Nintendo" have been thrown around a few times regarding the Switch. What if...

Nintendo wants Yooka Laylee as a timed exclusive launch title for the Switch? If they put in ENOUGH assistance I can imagine a world where YL comes out for the switch 2-4 weeks before the other platforms.

Note that I DO believe the WiiU version was canned because of technical performance, but Nintendo would stand to gain a lot even from a short timed exclusive.

Arguments against: they've said they're unsure if the Switch release will even match the timeline of the other releases. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Re: Tinfoil Hat Time

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:03 pm

You can take on the hat and prepare that the Switch version will probably release even later than stated for the reason they'll have to start working on it from this point onwards I'd guess?

At this point a timed exclusive...? That would invoke the anger of very emotional people again wouldn't it :p?

If they manage to do that in time, hats off XD
Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Yeah the uncertainty of their development state is why I believe this won't be happening. But I think Nintendo stands to gain a LOT if they could "work closely" enough to make it happen.
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Stop picking your nose

KnifeySkarekrow

Postby KnifeySkarekrow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:58 pm

If the Switch is similar to develop for as other current gen consoles, I could possibly see a quicker turnaround, as the game's creation is done for every other system.
GIT READY FOR A SHOCK!!!

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:10 pm

There is a bit of stigma around exclusives so it would be some bad PR early days I expect, but if it's possible and the money's right then who can say?
As a PC gamer we're quite often late to the party with delayed releases or broken ports so I'm pretty used to it, but as an early backer I'm really keen to get on it day one, which is why I can fully understand the current WiiU angst.
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 am

No. Just no. There's no reason why Playtonic, a new studio looking to make an impression, would abandon two huge platforms and audiences with the Xbox One and PS4, even for exclusive deals.

Nintendo have nothing to do with Playtonic and people need to stop trying to force the two together. This is 2017 not 1997. Give credit to Playtonic, not Nintendo.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:16 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”