KickStarter Wii-U Backer

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
SteveDeacon

KickStarter Wii-U Backer

Postby SteveDeacon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm

I have had sometime to consider my position and think about how I want to proceed with my "order" now that Playtonic have been put in the unfortunate position of having to cancel the Wii-U edition.

I am sadly thinking to request a refund of my kickstarter Backer amount and abandon this game all together, suffice to say I feel a little cheated.

The reason I supported this project was because I loved the old platform games and have enjoyed playing them on console since childhood, in fact I feel these games are what console gaming is all about as most other games play better on PC with a few exceptions in my oppinion.

Sine I have little to no desire for the PC version and almost certainly cannot afford a Nintendo switch, I am left in a position of feeling abandoned by Playtonic.

So why this forum post, no its not to have a moan at Playtonic I could email them for that no doubt, I am hoping some good old gamers out there can give me some good reasons to change my mind and stick with yooka laylee, let me hear your thoughts:)

Exaskryz

Re: KickStarter Wii-U Backer

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Go for the refund.

Playtonic wronged you, but at least are offering an out. Take advantage of it. I know I would have if it weren't for my brother being a co-backer with me and his desire to get a Switch copy instead.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Do you own any of the consoles it's coming out on? I also wouldn't want to sit at a shitty pc screen to play this game.

SteveDeacon

Postby SteveDeacon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:17 pm

Can you not save up for a switch? That's what I'm doing.
Y-L might not be put on switch for a while so you might have more time to save.

At the end of the day you backed this project for a reason. Don't give up on it.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm

You can give up on it when they miss their deadline by 6 months, and leave further ambiguity if they'll even meet that second deadline for a system you don't even own yet.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 pm

"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

Omega

Postby Omega » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 pm

You should go for the PC version. The reason? Its YOOKA LAYLEE we are talking about. If you really want the game it doesnt matter if its on PC or Wii U

KnifeySkarekrow

Postby KnifeySkarekrow » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:52 pm

I'd say go for PC version, as PC is what YL was initially built on, so it'll probably run the best.
GIT READY FOR A SHOCK!!!

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:14 am

Yeah I mean if you have a PC that can run it just play with a controller on a TV, since that will undoubtedly be the best version of the game.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 am

Playtonic have no requirement to offer any refund.

Backing a project on Kickstarter is an investment, not a pre-order, and sometimes investments fall through. The rewards are not products you buy; they are just bonuses, gifts to say thanks, and they were never guaranteed.

The risks and challenges of making a video game were featured clearly on the Kickstarter.

With that said, I understand why some people are upset. If Playtonic are offering a refund, great, go for it. But remember that there is no legal requirement for them to do so.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 am

Exactly. Playtonic didn't have to offer refunds but were nice enough to anyway.

They have slaved over this game and it's a bit harsh to take the money away from them.
Last edited by Scrubber on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 am

I won't refund, but I want info.
That's all. :)

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Hopefully things work out..

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I recommend saving up to get a Switch, just put a little aside each week until the end of the year. Yooka-Laylee and Super Mario Odyssey are going to make this the best holiday for 3D platformer fans in over a decade.

And just imagine how cool it'll be to be able to play Yooka-Laylee wherever you want.

Angeluno

Postby Angeluno » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:57 pm

I wonder if I could change my PS4 version for a Switch version...

To be honest... This game should be played in a Nintendo console, and I think that I would enjoy it more in a portable-hybrid version.

drdarthvader

Postby drdarthvader » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 am

If at all possible, I think that you should save up for a Switch.* If you are a fan of previous Nintendo consoles then the Switch is looking very promising indeed. It's been designed to appeal directly to people who grew up with Nintendo, and the roster of announced games reflects this:

- The first new "proper" Rare 3d platformer since Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64.**
- The first sandbox Mario game since Mario Sunshine on Gamecube.
- The first fully open-world Zelda since, well, Zelda on the NES.
- Bucket-loads of SNES-style JRPGs: I am Setsuna, Octopath Traveller, multiple Dragon Quests, Fire Emblem, Disgaea 5...
- A sequel to one of the best Wii RPGs: Xenoblade Chronicles.
- The best of the Wii-U era including Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon.

There is lots of press right now written by people who haven't been in the industry for very long moaning about the lack of Call of Duty or Titanfall, or complaining about the number of floating point operations the Switch can push every second. They really don't understand the point in this machine, but that's ok because it's not for them. It's for the people who grew up playing NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube and loved the unique games you could play on those systems. Those people get to revisit those experiences, but now they can share them with their friends, family and children in a way that wasn't possible before. Nintendo's marketing message is this:

"Remember all those awesome RPGs on SNES? Remember the first Mario Kart? Remember staying up all night with your buddies playing Goldeneye? Remember the glory days of 3d platformers on the N64? Remember being told about a secret in Mario and then running home to try and find it for yourself? We are going to give you all those experiences in a new, updated console. And we're going to make it portable so that you can share those experiences with anyone you like, wherever and whenever you like."

That's a pretty powerful message, and I think that there is a good chance that it will appeal to people who grew up playing Nintendo consoles.

I'm not saying that Nintendo is perfect. Their online strategy is antediluvian and I have my concerns about the new subscription model that they are going to implement. I think that the Switch is slightly expensive and I'm disappointed that it doesn't include a pack-in game. However, these are minor complaints in the grand scheme of things. The overall concept behind the console is attractive to me and I'm certainly going to get one. I believe that it represents the distilled greatness of previous Nintendo consoles.

* Or import one from Japan? I'm in the UK and at today's exchange rate a Switch in Japan is a little under £215 rather than £280 in the UK shops.
** Conker's Bad Fur Day deserves recognition as one of the great achievements of our species. We should start a petition to get it admitted to UNESCO's Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:28 am

1 week till info deadline. :)

SteveDeacon

Postby SteveDeacon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Thank-you all so much for your responses, I know the switch will not be an option for me for well over a year, also If I went switch I would want a boxed version with manual etc, not going to happen, so I am still left in a bit of a bad place, I think for me the most compelling reason to leave my money where it is, is no longer yooka laylee, sadly, since this has a bitter taste to it, but instead hoping that Playtonic go on to make more great games, so I have changed my pledge to the PC version.

I just hope Playtonic will learn from their mistakes, which I still think people believed in them and are being let down, not a good thing by any company for any reason and peoples faith in them must recover. That being said, they have the chance to do something great, so good luck Playtonic, all eyes are on you!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”