How do you guys feel on the swimming part of the game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
JGhost777

How do you guys feel on the swimming part of the game?

Postby JGhost777 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:19 am

The swimming is just a bit hard to control. Is there a way that can be fixed to how banjo kazooie used to swim in the game?

Piet

Re: How do you guys feel on the swimming part of the game?

Postby Piet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 am

Strange swimming controls...
I like the BK ones better. :)

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 am

I don't think there is any way to change swimming behavior. The only problem I have is that going up or down isn't smooth. You move too much with a single button press. Honestly I think it might be a nice idea to have up and down mapped to the triggers so you could have a slight pull to slowly angle up or down all the way a full pull acting much like it works in the toybox right now. Though this is all without seeing any of the recent trailers so I have no idea if they've changed anything with swimming.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 am

You adjust to the controls, given some time. I've utterly mastered them in the Toybox. ;)

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:51 am

Omega

Postby Omega » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm

They were weird on my first time playing, but after that I quickly get used to them! :)

jtn191

Postby jtn191 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 pm

I disliked the swimming mechanics at first because my brain wanted to control the swimming parts the way I controlled Banjo and Kazooie swimming for all these years. But yeah, you get used it. It's really not so bad, and it works equally as well as the BK games.

I just wish you could swim forward faster. I'm sure there will be a move or Play tonics that take care of the swimming speed though.

clank94

Postby clank94 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:02 pm

I think it was a little bit awkward at first, and had a hard time getting used to it. Maybe it just needs to be slightly adjusted(doubt it will be changed at this point)so it is easier and hopefuly not a tedious task to try and get items underwater. Still hope they change or make swimming more pleasant to deal with, as it is no secret water levels aren't always players favorite and if the controls are not so good it could only make things worse. However, there is one thing I felt was a bigger issue and was the fact that there was no *jump + attack* on the toybox. Don't know how others feel about it or if is even an issue, but that definitely is something I hope is added to the final game.

Have a good day everyone.

And this is my first time ever being active on a forum, I'm so excited for this game and hopefully will participate here more often instead of just scrolling through every post :lol:

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Swimming controls are never nice. You get used to them though.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”