Not very happy

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

Re: Not very happy

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I'd like to get some news from Playtonic regarding the Switch release date for both digital and physical. And ethereal.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Someone needs to call the waaaambulance for Scrubber :) Maybe they can give him 200 IUs of perspective.

Andy's post seems to have covered it though. After ages of being spoiled by Playtonic, a little bit of silence seems like punishment I guess.
Make the forum great again.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:35 pm

"Spoiled"...
Last edited by Piet on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Playtonic tells us far more than most Kickstarter companies do. There have been 27 updates since the completion of the project, and only 3 out of the 20 months since the KS ended didn't have an update. 3 non-consecutive months, by the way.

They've been honest about every negative thing that's come up, and they share insider details about the development of the game and the team. Nobody does that. You will never see Microsoft do that. Scalebound was canceled without a word or a reason. It was just gone one day.

To top it all off they're actually finishing the project! Do you know how rare that is? It's the only thing that matters! Out of over a dozen games I've backed on Kickstarter, over half are unfinished, and many of those were canceled with no refunds.

People need perspective. Playtonic has gone way above and beyond what they're required to by any stretch of any TOS, but here we are in a three page cry-fest because Facebook posts are easier to publish than full-fledged articles.

Look at Exaskryz's signature ffs. People need to grow up and stop acting so entitled.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:27 pm

I take the fact your response has no substance as an admission that I'm correct. After all, someone pointed out elsewhere the price complaints for the upgrade were inaccurate, and Andy himself responded directly to you. No other company does that. Clearly Playtonic is doing whatever is in their power to address the needs of the (pretty needy) backers.

I'm really tired of people crying about Playtonic "not doing enough" on their forums. Does anyone really believe they would not tell us the Switch release date if they knew it? Why would they ever do that?

This forum has become nothing but a few people whining that Playtonic doesn't bend to their personal whims and I can't be the only person tired of it.

@WyvernWings nailed it a page back
Last edited by dotEXE on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:02 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm sorry to say this dotEXE, but first day backers (especially Nintendo backers) have a right to whine, to be honest.

There is too much critical infomation missing atm... Like it or not...
Also; The latest gameplay movie looks pretty good, but it doesn't exceed any expectations, to be honest (again)...

You can't deny the fact that the last 2 months have been disastrous...

I really don't like to say these things, 'cause I have a weak spot for these guys, but we have to face the facts (altho I do understand what you are trying to tell us).

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:03 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:31 pm

I get what you're saying.
All the hate is too much, but I can see where it comes from.
They did make some really bad decisions after all. That's something you just can't deny.

But I agree, too much hate...
Just too much.

(P.s. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide & announce that this will be their first and last game...)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 pm

I think they enjoy game development, and I think the game is going to be well received, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them completely shut themselves in if they make another game.

Two years of silence, an announcement, two months later a game comes out.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:17 am

I agree with this 100%. This is, unfortunately, the way of the world. It's too much to expect even Playtonic to show some class. +£20 is an absolute joke and shows huge disrespect to those backers - it should have been free. These are the people who have funded your project, Playtonic.

We as gamers need to realize that no one is perfect and companies do not love us, they love our money, and maybe the products they are creating. But not US. Showing too much respect to a company always ends in disaster. I admit myself that my hopes and respect for this team were too high.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 am

Lienk

Postby Lienk » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:32 pm

About the cancelation of the Wii U version.

I too was surprised about the Wii U cancelation and the switch to the Switch, and I too think it was communicated poorly (even to this day with details still being scarce). But after considering all the positive and negative aspects I truly think Playtonic made the right decision. In fact as a Nintendo fan I would be sad if I were to play YL on the Wii U, because in only a few weeks the Switch is here.

I acknowledge that a lot of people (both backers and non-backers) are hurt by this decision for various reasons, and those people should definitely let themselves be heard. But at the same time it should also be acknowledged that the decision of Playtonic to cancel the Wii U version was probably a very hard one for them to make. Not only because of the many Wii U backers, but also because they themselves have always expressed a great love for Nintendo. I’m certain it was a forced decision (because of technical issues), but definitely not a decision made out of a lack of respect for the fans or just for the money. In fact, the core team was involved making the Wii U version. And let’s be honest, who could anticipate anything of this in Spring 2015?

These last few months have been pretty rough for everyone with the cancelation, the communication, and the options in the BackerKit, but for me Playtonic hasn’t lost their goodwill at all. In fact seeing how honest and open they have always been about everything on social media, in interviews, during presentations, etc. I believe their statements to be true (with no snag) and I trust them to make the right decisions. I think if they had more details (such as a launch date) they would give them, provided that they are absolutely sure! (because worse than giving no date, is a date that can’t be met). I also believe that a well-aimed trailer or other PR-thingy could easily restore all lost faith in them.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:28 am

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:55 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”