Nintendo Switch or Steam?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
marcosfl

Nintendo Switch or Steam?

Postby marcosfl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am

I'm facing a dilemma. I was going to get the Wii U version because it would be the most convenient to me. Now that it has been cancelled, I don't know what to do. Let me explain why so you could hopefully help me.

I could get the Nintendo Switch version, IF I WAS CERTAIN THAT I'M GONNA GET THE CONSOLE. I definetely want to, but the problem is that I live in Brazil, and here the price is definetely not gonna be 300 bucks. With the cost of the dollar and taxes it will go around R$2000,00 (Reais - Brazil's coin).

Not being certain that I will get a Switch, I could get the PC version of the game. But my graphics card isn't really good for today's games graphics capacity, I'm assuming that the game would probably not even run in an 720p HD resolution.

I don't own an Xbox or PS4 and do not intend to.

I hope you see my problem. In my country if you don't have much money it is tough to keep your PC or your consoles updated. The Wii U was my main console, already paid and everything.

What do you think I should do? Get the Switch version, wait for the price to go lower and only then buy the console and play the game OR get the PC version and hope to run the game fine?

By the way, were the system requirements for PC announced yet?

Thanks for reading!

LancerEagle

Re: Nintendo Switch or Steam?

Postby LancerEagle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:48 pm

From the Backerkit survey topic:

MINIMUM: (PC)
Processor: Intel i5-2500 3.3GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GTS450 / AMD Radeon 6850HD
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 9 GB available space
Sound Card: Windows Compatible Card
Additional Notes: These specifications will be updated as testing continues.

Also, there's a chance that we will get release date/release window information for the Switch version before the survey closes again on the 16th. If there's a big enough gap between the release of the Switch itself and the Switch version of YL, that would give you more time to save up for it.

Hope this helps!

demalmar

Postby demalmar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:36 am

I'll go with the Steam version? Why?

- Your pc can be improved anytime.
- Steam does not outdate as videogame platforms do.
- Eventually if you want to play online (Not talking about YL) you have to pay on Switch.

I consider that having a game on the Switch that you can have on PC is just unnecessary.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Steam easy. Including the above, it's the only platform with modding potential.
Make the forum great again.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Would also go for Steam.
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

comperko

Postby comperko » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 am

Definitely steam.First of all swich version may be delayed and I dont want to wait any longer,you can play it on any pc and you will keep it forever even if you keep buying new pcs while consoles will eventually get old and get replaced by their next gen successors.I play some of the old games on emulator even though I already own those games on old consoles but I just dont want to bother taking and plugging my old consoles when its much more convenient having it all on pc.Not to mention mods!Im already picturing banjo kazooie skin mod for yooka laylee on pc.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

IndridCold

Postby IndridCold » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Not exactly the same situation as the OP as I've already pre-ordered a Switch, but I decided to go for the Switch version. The main reason is that it will be more easily portable. I don't mind waiting longer.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 am

I appreciate this is more a dilemma for some. In your case it sounds like the pricing in your country could be problematic.

Me, I was always going to buy the new Nintendo console. Yea some are certainly considered better than others but don't they all have great games?

Anyways, when I play games on Steam I get a bit overly obsessive about tweaking the graphics settings / resolution and either way the frame rate tends to suffer.
(I don't even think my laptop is good for gaming anymore. Still play Towerfall, but last big 3D games were Portal 2 and Psychonauts... years ago.)

Back to you, TC. You don't plan on owning an Xbox or PS4, but own a Wii U. You obviously like your Nintendo games (like me). Even if the Switch costs a little more, you'll likely find a way to squeeze it in your budget eventually, right? I think you're getting a Switch :P

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:08 am

Also think about the likely costs of the game. At the moment, both versions cost the same for you (with the only difference being you get a Toybox code if you choose Steam).

But your country sounds like mine in that consoles and games are expensive, so the retail Switch (digital) version will probably be a lot more expensive than the Steam version (doesn't everyone always joke about how Steam is always having sales?).

So if you opt for the Steam version and then later decide you'd rather the Switch version, you will probably have to pay a lot more to get the Switch version. But if you get the Switch version and then decide you want the Steam version instead, you could probably sell your Switch code to someone else in your country for enough money to cover buying the Steam version. ;)

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Both
Stop picking your nose

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 pm

It seems that because Playtonic cannot confirm a release date for the Switch, that if you are impatient, you should get it on Steam. That will be the only way to play it day one.

It's likely the Switch release will be a dumbed-down version that releases 3 months later anyway.

Gotta love that Nintendo love Playtonic devs supposedly expressed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”