WHY can't Playtonic Games explain why they can't announce a Switch date?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

WHY can't Playtonic Games explain why they can't announce a Switch date?

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:51 pm

We get it - Switch is going to be delayed from other platform's launch for whatever reason that they failed as a developer. That's fine. Just explain why you aren't even confirming that it's going to be a late launch. Ideally it'd be nice if they think it'll be Summer 2017 or Holiday 2017 that it finally releases digitally on Switch, but I know that's too much to ask of them about a game that's gone gold.

Kickstarter backers have 5 days to decide if they want to get the game on time on PC or another system, or play the game on their preferred system of Switch. And Playtonic isn't giving that information that can help them decide. Are they trying to get KS backers to pick Switch, then bait-and-switch them with a Summer or later release after the backerkit surveys close, prompting people to begrudgingly pre-order/purchase for a second system as well?
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Rueckkoppler

Re: WHY can't Playtonic Games explain why they can't announce a Switch date?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:49 am

I get it, that's a totally uncommitted answer.

Can they say "It is realistic - but not guaranteed - that we can release this game on Switch on April 11th."? Or can they say "We expect that the Switch version will release weeks/months/quarters later."?

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 am

They are just playing safe right now. They can't afford to anger bakers a second time.

The game might be ported on a week or months but they don't know already I guess is for the best if they don't commit to a date right now.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:19 am

metalreflectslime

Postby metalreflectslime » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:52 am

I do think that PG is pulling a bait and switch unfortunately.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:07 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:25 pm

5 days? Damn.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:21 pm

To be fair the backer kit survey should have been left open until playtonic can tell us a date (or even a yearly quarter)
It isn't fair the people have to gamble.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:20 pm

I'd be OK with closing the backerkit if you wanted physical - Playtonic would have to get their ducks in a row and collect their extra fee.

But if you are going digital on any platform, it shouldn't close, as you should have up until the codes are sent out to decide what platform you're getting it on.

Piet

Postby Piet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:45 pm

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:57 pm

If you want the Switch version I would just assume it is going to be after launch. Like people seem hopeful and I am sure PG themselves are hopeful but realistically I'd expect a couple months later at least.

It would have been nice if they could have opened the surveys sooner, for sure, but we're close enough to launch now to where I can definitely see why they would want to have the kickstarter backer reward numbers locked down soon.

It's not just physical copies that need time to process, getting codes from digital store fronts and figuring out how to distribute them efficiently also takes a lot of time. I'm sure wanting to get physical numbers locked down soon is the main reason, but there are a lot of moving parts around a game launch, so I don't think "Playtonic is trying to trick people into buying multiple copies" is the likeliest reason.

But again, if you want to play at launch and have a platform other than a Nintendo one get it for that. If you don't mind waiting and it being on a Nintendo console is important to you for some reason, then get it for switch.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 pm

The big reasons I have is to play an optimized version without hickups and the hassle (and probably failure) to set it up myself on a pc. And in the long run, I really want to be able to play multiplayer with ease. Having it on a Nintendo system has some goodwill value, but wouldn't be so important if I had a strong pc.

So I guess I'll back off the forums and general Playtonic stuff until I get that Switch key in my inbox...

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:02 am

I really cannot understand all the fuss.
Firstly; development was for all the current systems after all, there was never going to be a Switch version anyway. Everyone got that and, was okay with it.

Now, because some powers that be decided to wait until the Switch to get the game, now everyones losing their minds.
Playtonic did not start making this game for the Switch in the first place, now they have to learn the hardware and coding on a new system which I imagine can and will take extra time. They also hired more people to make it happen faster.
What do you all propose?
Delay every other console along side the Switch? Piss off more backers?
Misery loves company?

Maybe we should wonder whether or not it was Nintendos call to release it on the Switch instead of the wii.
If so, maybe we are directing our hate/frustration at the wrong company?

Nintendo and Rare have a long history of games that are utter gems, not doing as well as they should because they were released at the decline of Nintendos system.
Also, I am sure that Ninty needs every new game to be a potential system seller after all.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:07 am

Shawnsim, if you're one of the lucky people who was already hardware that can play the game, that's great that you can avoid this mess. But that doesn't mean there isn't a mess that Playtonic and other fans have to deal with.

Very few would care about the late-announced Switch version being delayed if they would offer a Wii U version. Everyone who is in this mess backed a Wii U version which was then cancelled, despite the early talk even before Kickstarter about how great it will be to develop for a Nintendo console again and even saying they'd love to be able to release an amiibo because one of the lead devs collects them.

If the Wii U version were being released, everyone who backed 2 years ago would likely have a system that would play this game. At the very least, they'd have had a system for this game at the time of backing, or planned to obtain one within the next 2 years. All that is hunky dory dandy fine.

The problem is now that the Wii U version is cancelled, people have to do one of three things:

1) Get a refund and run away from this steaming pile.

2) Settle on playing on a PC with poor to adequate performance - not many people who picked the Wii U have a gaming PC if they want Day 1.

3) Hope to God that Playtonic Games can get the Switch version released on Day 1 so they can play the game on time.

I know I'd be upset if I picked a Steam code when I would get more than 20 FPS and more than 480p on the Switch, and that I could play the Switch version on April 11th.

I know I'd be upset if I picked the Switch and couldn't play the game until months after it's been out, and in that time have to unsubscribe from a lot of gaming media and unfollow a few friends on Facebook to avoid spoilers on the game. And hope that YouTube isn't trying to recommend Yooka Laylee videos just because I watched some in the past.

What I and any reasonable person is saying is - let's remove as much doubt as we can so that backers can make an informed decision. We shouldn't have to be gambling a second time with this project.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:37 am

Okay. what I mean is this.

Somebody outside of Playtonic is making certain decisions.

Since all of the decisions taking place so far are on Nintendos side...perhaps its Nintendo. Just saying.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:56 am

If it's Nintendo, why doesn't Playtonic come out and say that?

"At the behest of Nintendo, we have shifted development from the Wii U to the Switch."

Regardless, that's a separate topic than what this is originally about.

Why won't Playtonic tell us if the Switch version will be released with or very near all the other versions?

They have to know at this point - under 2 months away - if they have any chance of targeting all platforms released simultaneously, or if Switch is going to be released late because they (if you take Playtonic at their word) decided very late in development to shift to the Switch.

It really wouldn't be a problem if backers could wait to decide what version of the game they want - if any at all - until Playtonic themselves even knew when the heck all the versions were coming out.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”