David Wise and Koji Kondo

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
the8thark

David Wise and Koji Kondo

Postby the8thark » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:09 am

I think both are legends of video game music. Both are masters of their craft but both have totally different styles and approaches to their craft.

To that and I am saying David Wise is the best of tge best in this field. I enjoy each of his creations.
My favourite of Wise's work is DKC2. But what we have heard of Yooka Laylee is so very good too. Good in a different way becauase it's composed to fit a more open world 3D collectathon type of game.

Do you agree with the comparison I have made here?
Do you know any other video game music composers / creators that are just as good?

Rasmusic

Re: David Wise and Koji Kondo

Postby Rasmusic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 am

Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Having simmered a great deal on the topic of best videogame soundtrack, I've found it boils down to one essential question: Donkey Kong Country 2 or Ocarina of Time. So of course I agree with your making this comparison. I wish more would do the same.

However, while I may ultimately consider DKC 2 my very favorite soundtrack, the pantheon of Kondo's works is enormous, and ultimately insurmountable.
Consider Mario 64, which not only has the unforgettable main theme, but the emotionally affecting Dire, Dire, Docks, the mysterious Inside the Castle Walls, or that incredible organ fugue Ultimate Koopa. One could also consider A Link to the Past his greatest work, or Mario Bros 3, or Yoshi's Island. However, to find his most impactful, recognizable works we need to go back to Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda. Notably, his N64 compositions have been fewer and farer in between, still what's there continues to overjoy, if not impact the medium like his prior works.

These days I listen to more David Wise. Tengami is great to listen to. There's nothing quite like Tropical Freeze. His untold number of NES themes, which many would recognize though few have connected to him. And DKC 2 is so bewilderingly good, I sometimes find myself that it even exists.

Wise and Kondo both compose music that, despite their unseen toils, sounds very intuitive -- like it came to them effortlessly. There soundtracks will surprise you with their emotional breadth -- Donkey Kong, Mario, or Star Fox all have their Forest Interludes and their athletic themes.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”