Thank you Playtonic

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
ShanPen

Re: Thank you Playtonic

Postby ShanPen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Also would like to say a massive thanks. Some of my best childhood memories are of playing Banjo-Kazooie with my sister; one of us would play while the other watched and made suggestions. On the original Banjo-Kazooie save file we started on December 25th 1998 after my sister discovered the game among her Christmas presents, we clocked up 83 hours, 32 minutes and 40 seconds and it took us until April 24th, 2011 to finally beat Grunty and have collected everything 100%, so that's a lot of good memories just in that one save file of one game. I'm so excited for Yooka-Laylee and the good memories that will be created while playing it! I wish you much success with your debut game and hope to see many more from Playtonic.
Last edited by ShanPen on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:12 pm

The interesting thing is that Banjo-Kazooie did not release until 1998 :P.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Now for an interesting challenge: Can you manage to collect all notes in all worlds five times in the remaining time to 100 hours?

Though it did not take me quite as long (though still long, maybe 30-40 hours?) the first time around, I definitely have played B-K for about 100 hours as well; completed it twice just last year. Even though it is very unlikely that I will like Yooka as much as Banjo-Kazooie (among my top ten best games ever made), I am very grateful that we will get another opportunity to play a collectathon style platformer :).

the8thark

To Playtonic and Team 17 - We thank you

Postby the8thark » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 am

I think almost everyone here does appreciate the hard work you all have done to make this fine game. It looks really good, cute, reminiscent of Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 and just plain fun. Ignore the trashy reviews that only hate. The game is as good as you all know it is.

I personally want to say thank you for making the game, daring to delve into the past and resurrect genre of game that was almaost dead in many respects. I will enjoy the game when it's finally ported to the Nintendo Switch. I can't wait.

I also want to thank Team 17 for taking on the PS4 and XB1 porting and publishing duties. I do think a possible slight performance patch might have to be looked into by Team 17 for their ports. But past that without them the PS4 and XB1 community would not be able to play the game as Playtonic could not make all the ports themselves. If Playtonic could do them all, they would have. I do remember playing games like Worms Armageddon made by Team 17 back in the day. I am glad they are on board as well. I wonder if they will port future Playtonic games to PS4 and XB1.

Thank you to everyone who made this great game possible.

dotEXE

The "Thank You Playtonic" Thread

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:26 pm

There's a lot of research about how a negative statement weighs heavier in people's minds than a single positive statement, how upset customers are far more likely to be vocal than happy customers are, etc. etc. blah, blah. Anyway it adds up to a few stinkers being the only voices heard.

I wanted to make a thread to say THANK YOU to Playtonic for making this game. I rarely ever tell creators that I've enjoyed their work, and I think maybe I need to start doing it more!

I'm going to kick it off. Thank you Playtonic!! Yooka Laylee is exactly the game I was hoping it would be. It's a lush, colorful, living platformer world that is full of character and just the right number of things to collect. There are enough low-hanging pagies to allow some fairly quick world progression, but enough cleverly hidden bits to reward people who actually want to stick around and turn over every stone. The humor hits the mark, the characters are great, the music is well beyond phenomenal, the moves are fun and interesting, the Play Tonics are a great unique addition to the genre, and so is the ability to expand a world. Thank you, Playtonic. You "get it". And you made the game we've needed for 17 years.
Make the forum great again.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Mmmm I felt like a new thread was warranted for post-release where we actually have info now. Plus lumping this back with the old thread really underlines my point about there being more negatives visible than positives :/ one praise thread, twenty threads about the same bugs.
Make the forum great again.

LancerEagle

Postby LancerEagle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Loaded the game up yesterday morning, hoping for the best but not really knowing what to expect. I ended up playing for 13 hours straight with only a single bathroom break. By the end of it my thumbs ached and I was hungry and tired, but I was grinning like a 10 year-old kid and had been for the whole day. Yooka-Laylee is everything the Kickstarter promised and everything I wanted from a modern-day collectathon platformer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Playtonic. You repaid both the money I put into the project and the faith I maintained for 2 years during the ups and downs of development with a game that exceeded my expectations and made me feel 20 years younger. The graphics are lush, the music outstanding, and the fun of exploring the worlds you've crafted and solving the puzzles you've devised has been just pure joy. Please don't make me wait another 17 years for another one.

(Also, I know that the Kickstarter experience provided its share of headaches, and we haven't always been the easiest bunch of people to keep happy. But if you're ever in a place where you feel your only options are to either compromise your creative vision in order to secure publisher funding or give crowdfunding another go, those of us who feel that you did right by them with Yooka-Laylee -and there are loads of us, the haters just happen to be louder- will be right here, wallets at the ready. Especially now that we know you can deliver on what you promise.)

Thanks again, Playtonic Games. Here's to the start of something magical.

Thrix

Postby Thrix » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Kinsei

Postby Kinsei » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 am

Thank you all for such an awesome game. I'm looking forward to whatever you decide to make next.

howieb

Postby howieb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 am

Yes - good job guys! Keep it going and you shall have my money.

The Pho

Postby The Pho » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Having now played the game for a good while, I need to thank you again for delivering 100%. The game is exactly what I was hoping for. And the music especially is just perfect. Looking forward to continuing to play this for many years. And as soon as it comes to the Switch I shall buy another copy and play it there as well.
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

Linus-Leader

Postby Linus-Leader » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Thank you Playtonic!

I truly appreciate you delivering on the vision you cast in your Kickstarter, and for all the hard work the team put in to make it happen. Not all Kickstarter projects come so close to the original promises, reach such high quality, or even complete at all.

I still have so many more hours before me until I experience all that you labored to create. I know that it won't be PERFECT. I know there will probably some things you will need to fix in the coming weeks, and some lessons you will take with you to future projects. But thank you for assembling this team, for taking the risk on Kickstarter, for working hard and for delivering on what you promised.

Cheers to another golden era of games developed with Rare quality! :-D
I look forward to many more years of this team developing funny, punny, quality games!

PS: Thanks Team17, you guys rock for working with Playtonic to get this game on more platforms!

Omega

Postby Omega » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:59 am

Thanks Playtonic! I am not a backer but a huge Banjo fan. Yooka Laylee was AMAZING. I played it for 26 hours (and 100%, except for 2 secret collectables)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”