Early reviews

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet

Re: Early reviews

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Tek

Postby Tek » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 pm

This tweet from Grant Kirkhope pretty much sums it up.

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/statu ... 6132624384

If a lot of the negative things pointed out in reviews are in regards to old-school mechanics and noises instead of voices, then Playtonic has indeed come through and created the kind of game that was promised in the kickstarter! That essentially means that most of the negative points about the game are the exact reason why the kickstarter exploded with support in the first place. Backers should be happy, not worried. :D

Going forwards, not every game that Playtonic makes is going to be as focused on nostalgic tribute as Yooka Laylee is. That means the problem of reviewers criticizing intentional retro features is probably not going to be such a big factor in the future.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:31 pm

I just stumbled upon some Tweets by Derrick from GameXplain: https://twitter.com/BitnerdGX

He doesn't seem to be that happy with the game, while regretting that he feels that way in the first place. He brings up some points beyond FPS and style of the game.
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 pm

If glitches and framedrops are really taking away the fun in this game (don't know if it does), then that's a really bad thing. Let's hope some reviewers are just overreacting. :)

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:43 pm

I feel like the game may have been a bit rushed. They could have polished the game more in the technical areas before releasing it. I find this to be disappointing, even if they can patch those issues. People on PC probably won't have as many issues if they have a decent rig (I hope). I was honestly expecting a fairly polished game from them. I guess I really did put them on too high of a pedestal.

Still looking forward to playing it though. Hopefully I don't run into a lot of technical issues on PC.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Madness. This is a world were Call of Duty gets a 10/10, but I would never rate it on the same scale as a Zelda game like Ocarina of Time or Breath of the Wild. Playtonic in my eyes have delivered what they said they'd do, provide a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not sure what people were expecting? :?

The worst thing Playtonic done was provide so much information for such a long period of time prior to launch. That's the con of Kickstarter though, and I understand that was necessary, but going forward I hope they just announce it a short time before launch and stay quiet.

The only thing I am not sold on is the rolling move which replaces the Talon Trot. That's minor though and I have only played the Toybox +. I don't really like it because it's so quick, whereas the Talon Trot was more intricate.

Everything else ticks every box and more. They got loads of funding so they made the game bigger and delivered what they said they would. I didn't think it would be as well received on Xbox One or PS4 vs Nintendo.

I have never really trusted reviews. I don't think most of the so-called AAA games deserve the praise they get.
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 pm

my comment get removed? or i post it wrong.. anyway i will post back..

collector/puzzle game are not for everyone.. but the person who love a lot this kind of game will be really happy.

people love to hate.. i don't like zelda, its stupid to ask me to give a note for this..

man we waited 17 years to got a good game of this type.. and hater seeing this come back , and hate all over..

i don't care of the note , i am sure the game is nice.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 am

After playing the Toybox demo, I think I understand what the negative reviews are talking about when it comes to the camera. I personally didn't have a problem with the camera, but I think that's because I tend to "claw" the controller when it is called for subconsciously. I kind of go back and forth between using the thumb for the A button and clawing it with my index finger to remain control over the thumbstick when I play games, depending on if clawing is helpful in that particular game.

While playing through the Toybox, I noticed that I happened to be clawing the controller like 60% of the time, especially when doing jumps around corners. This is to pivot the camera manually while I hold A to flap in order to get a comfortable landing spot.

While the camera isn't an issue for those of us who learned to claw (I even claw often in Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, it helps), I think that a controller option to jump with a bumper or trigger button would allow players to retain control over their camera at all times and alleviate this concern. That said, if people had problems with SM64, BK, DK, etc., then there might just be no helping them. I've never had any kind of issue with the camera in those games.

The ironic thing about reviews going "The camera is bad like it has always been in the 90's" is that the camera is in fact modernized. It is zoomed in more without the option to zoom out, which is more similar to modern games. The camera is not a carbon copy from BK; it appears to stay at a midrange distance and wants to always move back behind Yooka. Like I said before, if you are doing a jump around a 90 degree corner this *can* screw you up if you just assume the camera will not interfere. But those of us who grew up on the N64 should know better. Any action has an equal and opposite reaction, so you better be ready to control that camera when your feet leave the ground. I guess I've always just learned to enjoy the challenge of gaming to come from mastering the camera as a character of its own.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 am

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 am

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:10 am

i'm sure a lot of it is because collectathons aren't very reviewer-friendly games. because they often have to review several games at a time, more straight-forward games tend to be favored because it makes it much easier to do their job.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 am

On mini-maps, I found you really don't need them for Yooka-Laylee. It may be daunting at first, especially as I tend to have the worst spacial memory imaginable, but I very quickly picked up the entire layout of the map and had no difficulty whatsoever.
Taylonic Ltd.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:29 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”