gameXplain's terrible review

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
the8thark

gameXplain's terrible review

Postby the8thark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 pm

gameXplain jsut put up their XB1 review for Yooka-Laylee.

The review is very poor in many ways.
1. What the reviewer says is the total opposite to the gameplay footage shown.
2. The gameplay complaints the reviewer goes on and on about are absent in 100% of the gameplay footage. He does not show any proof of the gameplay issues he claims are there.
3. The control issues the reviewer goes on about look more like poor player skill. He says the mini games suffer from this. It's clearly obvious he rushed through the game and never took the time to get good at the mini games.
4. The game looks great in the video. There is a total cute charm there.
5. The reviewer keeps going on about how he wished this was a Banjo-Kazooie clone and is disappointed that it's not. He wanted to review a new Banjo-Kazooie game, not Yooka-Laylee.
6. The reviewer complained there is not enough creatures there to fill up the game world. gameXplain said similar things about Breath of the Wild and we know that's jsut not true. I can't seeing Playtonic ever making a rookie mistake like this. They would have the pacing of the game done well.

This bloke is just hating on what looks like a very good game. It's a shame when people hate on a game for no other reason then they just want to hate. Haters gotta hate as they say. Do not believe anything said in this review. It's just pure hate on the game.

Also on a related point, I told gameXPlain this and they deleted my post from facebooka and blocked me from commenting on their facebook posts. I called gameXplain out on their disrespectful garbage review and they could not handle it and just blocked the truth. Shame on gameXplain.

Here is the review in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNfB3ZYtJc

From what I have heard (on others who have played the game), is the game is very good and plays well.

Rueckkoppler

Re: gameXplain's terrible review

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Okay I don't have the time to address all your points, but I've got to say these things:

- I'm not offended by this review
- Because his critique points sound legit
- A chuggy performance is a big minus for a platformer, especially when it's visually not over-demanding

Still looking forward to the game.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Where is the chuggy performance though? He said it exists but where is his proof of it?
Other reviews only say slight and rare frame drops that don't affect gameplay much.

"What makes it great though is the control scheme. Controlling Yooka and Laylee together is an absolute joy with the two effortlessly moving between combat and platforming with ease. Projectiles are a bit awkward and the occasionally stuttering frame rate can annoy from time to time, but those really are the only blots on an otherwise stellar report card."

A direct quote from a random review of the game.
His critique points differ from what other reviews are saying totally. And secondly he has shown zero video evidence of this in the review.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:05 pm

I have to disagree with you 100%. I think this review was very well done and the video DOES provide examples of what he is talking about (the camera angles, the lag...)

As for his personal opinions about empty worlds, slightly different than Banjo etc...you can't fault him for his opinion. I think he was well spoken, gave examples, and hit upon all aspects of the game. It seems he really only was unhappy with the performance issues, and the game itself was still great.

My only worry is the fact that I will get the game on XboxOne, so may experience the same things he does. Hope it doesn't take away from my overall experience, though..

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Can't watch right now. I trust Gameexplain a lot. Aside from technical issues how do they deem gameplay?
Stop picking your nose

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Opinions.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Stop picking your nose

Lozjam

Postby Lozjam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Uhh.....

First off, Ash isn't "hating" on the game. He gave it a favorable review of "he liked it".

Second off, those performance issues are extremely terrible for a 3D precision platformer. Especially the camera. Those are just points that he brought up, the camera was shaky, it caught on weird objects, and changed perspective. This also clearly shows a jittery frame rate, which stumbled quite often in the footage in the review. Those points are perfectly valid.

He said while these performance issues were enough to hamper his experience, the base game is still incredibly fun.

As for things such as minigames and the mine kart rides: Donkey Kong 64 also had similar problems, so I can imagine it's a problem in Yooka Laylee as well.

This was 100% a fair and even a favorable review of the game. At the end of the day, if you grew up playing Banjo, you are going to like the game. Which is exactly what backers asked for. It is just poorly optimized, particularly for the X-Box One version.

I can only imagine however, how the Switch version will hold up to this.... This makes me think that the Switch version will either release as a mess, or that it will take a long time to even get these problems.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 pm

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:26 pm

whas was the fps in banjo-kazooie and banjo-tooie .. just for fun.. well the thing call game performance.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 pm

I remember BT had frame rate performance issues as stated.

The review was fair. Basically we got what we backed and thats great. Im still looking forwrd to playing thw cupcake out of this.

Not to mention DLC and fps performance optimisation patches will be released in the near future.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 am

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 pm

I suggest you take off your fanboy goggles, take a breather and try to calm down. I know you find it hard to accept that people have criticisms of the game, but they do. The points made in that review are valid points.

If you love the game so much then mind your own business and play it. You cannot stop people from having their own opinions as well.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:57 pm

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”