Why isn't Switch version development number one priority?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

Why isn't Switch version development number one priority?

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

mickeythelegend

Re: Why isn't Switch version development number one priority?

Postby mickeythelegend » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Who knows. Reluctantly I have to say that could have perhaps been handled better but I am personally delighted it is coming to Switch while I understand those who don't and have a Wii U would be annoyed. I am happy to wait with Breath of the Wild still fresh in my hands, but I do wonder myself. I can only hope it means it will be a better game.
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Having said that, I feel it must be difficult for Playtonic to openly communicate with backers because they've kickstarted it and to be as transparent as they have been presents plenty of challenges and difficulty to please everyone, so I cut them some slack :D After all, they're producing a game I have wanted since I began gaming!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Too many chefs spoil the broth, maybe? I'm not a developer, but I don't imagine the entire team is simultaneously working on a Switch port -- things would probably get messy that way. Do the rest of Playtonic just go home? Or do they multitask by finishing the Kickstarter stretch goals?

There's probably a dedicated team working away on the Switch version. It's not in Playtonic's interest to delay (they are losing sales), so you can rest assured that they will be trying their absolute best to get this out to the fans as soon as possible.
Taylonic Ltd.

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:05 pm

I agree Taylor, although I imagine part of the team are at least planning the next game by now. Exciting times!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:26 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

I've seen plenty of extremely favorable reviews. Like stated above, the majority of unfavorable reviews are from those who simply don't understand the gameplay, or don't understand the nostalgia factor that we all have. I'm confident I'll enjoy it... a lot of the "negatives" that I read about are actually positives for nostalgic gamers like us (the gibberish voices being one complaint that I keep hearing about). A patch is coming soon that deals with other complaints, like the camera.

Also, I don't know why you think the Switch isn't a priority for Playtonic. I'm sure they're well aware of the disappointment among fans and backers with all the complaints they've received. But it's not like the entire team is focused only on one aspect of the game. They're delegating, and I'm sure there are several team members solely dedicated to the Switch version.

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 am

Since Switch is delayed, it could work out well in a way if they can spend more time getting performance consistent and other fixes.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 pm

I don't see why they can't optimize, seems essential for a small business. Certain devs on the team specialize in art or audio design so their full time work on porting Yooka would be wasteful

TheLastStopByMe

Postby TheLastStopByMe » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:29 am

I mean, I can't speak with certainty about this individual game, but usually different team members work on different things. Not every team member can work on porting the game to the Switch, therefore those people can work on the DLC. (The concept artists probably can't code for example, so they'd probably jump straight to DLC)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”