I'm sad with the reviews

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
acemelhaz

I'm sad with the reviews

Postby acemelhaz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:18 pm

i really am sad briefly reading some reviews i have waited so long like we all have for this game. And for some of the reviews to slate the game upsets me .I'm still excited and eagerly await the switch version.

which world are they slating completely???
1 world i read were it is awful hmmmmmm which one ??
i briefly looked as i don't want any spoilers. Did the update sort out the camera issues at all

Yavga

Re: I'm sad with the reviews

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Don't be sad. Look at it like this: the 2 worst reviews (a 2.0 and a 3.5) both came from the same outlet/drain. 2 mediocre reviewers that are never to be taken seriously because they are just like you and me, no professionals and just blabbering on, I'm talking about Jim Sterling and Laura Dale from let's play.

Aside from that the game was made to appeal to a specific audience "people who loved The Banjo era games" the way I looked at reviews... they totally succeeded! Alas... there are some reviews that name dated gameplay as a flaw. Which it might be or not. I never really cared for the technical aspect of games. I'll overcome
Them just like any other challenge!

Playtonic games forum holds the most dedicated fans and some of us already played the game. One of our own moderators rated the game a 9/10 and did a splendid review on it better than Sterling and Dale's review combined.

Anyway, don't get scared. I'm sure you will
Enjoy it all the same just like Their past games!

All in all the most down to earth reviewers have good words for the gameplay! It's just nothing revolutionary new under the sun. That was never the intention anyway.
Stop picking your nose

acemelhaz

Postby acemelhaz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:40 pm

you're right i want the switch version which i have chosen as my option but i just don't know if i can wait and get the ps4 version lol

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm not too bothered, here's way:

If you scan read the reviews, the negatives, most of time, boil down to:

1. Outdated gameplay/level design. (Literally the point in the game, outdated is just a negative connotation, whereas we'd say "nostalgic" or "retro," for example

2. The voices. Again, literally the point. It's supposed to smell of BK and BT.

3. The framerate. Okay, this is the only valid point, but even this has been addressed in the form of a post-launch patch.

For these reasons I'm not really worried. Just go by the gameplay you've seen, and decide whether YOU like it or not. Forget about the rest. A lot of reviewers don't get that this game is supposed to feel old, and look new. They just think it's behind, or bland instead.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Posts like ^ yours ^ are why I wish the forum had an up vote/thumbs up.
Make the forum great again.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Ignore them. I am. And I'm loving it.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Over nine hours in I can just say: Let them babble their nonsense, Yooka is amazing :).

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:24 pm

When it comes to making modern versions of older game styles people generally expect them to modernize the game. This does not mean change it completely, it means keep the good components and fix the issues that the games had, many of which were due to technological limitations at the time. There are great examples of older game Genres being brought back to life, like Super Meat Boy for old school 2d platformers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfrvpJSenko). When it comes to reviving a popular game genre, you already have a very good idea of what makes for good design and bad design, all you have to do is follow the blue print and fix the few problem areas. Playtonic did not do this.

Its basically a late 90s era platformer with all of its faults. The few innovations it attempted to throw in have been criticized. For example they tried to have a large open world sandbox (with consequentially fewer levels) like alot of games have now but people are unhappy with it, saying its too big and empty and too difficult to get your bearings and figure out where to go. 3d platformres always had a large number of smaller, more compact levels and that worked very well, no need to change what was working. Then there were obvious problems like the camera that werent really fixed, and combat.

Combat had been very basic in 3d platformers due to tech limitations, but now we have many games with good combat systems. Just putting in a little effort to make a decent combat system would of improved on the genre massively compared to the 90s games, but they kept the same primitive combat from the 90s. Combat basically just consists of spinning into mobs that mindlessly run right into your attacks. There is also the issue of having to backtrack after getting new moves to solve problems you encountered that had required those moves. Rare has been critized for the past 17 years for having back-tracking in some of their 3d platformers, and here they are making the same mistake again. If all you wanted was a 90s platformer in 1080p, the remastered xbox 360 version of banjo kazooie should be close enough.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 am

There was never really any serious issues with the genre, however. You criticize three tangible things: Large maps, useless enemies, and backtracking.

The first and last of those things are ridiculous complaints in my opinion. I LOVE huge worlds where you have absolutely no idea where to even get started. This is great game design, and good examples of it are plentiful in BT and DK64. BK's levels are actually far too small for my taste.

As for backtracking, well I wouldn't have an interest in these games if it wasn't for that. Backtracking is precisely one of the most important and fun things about 3D collectathons. Does the word "Metroidvania" mean nothing to you? Backtracking is the best, how anyone can dislike it is beyond me.

I will agree that the weak enemy criticism may hold value. I haven't seen gameplay against the large red dudes yet, but the basic enemies look far too easy to kill and they aren't even always placed in areas to knock you out of your platforming segments.

If you simply don't like the genre, then you don't like the genre. Changing it to suit your wants would destroy the genre all over again. Many of us love backtracking and huge, complex levels to death.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 am

A 69 on Metacritic is actually a good rating. Most reviewers classify a 70/100 game as a good game, so the general consensus is that Yooka Laylee is a good game. Banjo Kazooie and Banjo tooie both have a 77 and a 73 score on metacritic (the hd ports), so this game is only slightly below those in terms of critical opinion.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:45 am

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 am

After playing for a bit I have to even disagree with the enemy critique you had. The enemies are not supposed to be "mobs" like from an action RPG. The corplets are purely there to be energy dispensers.

Personally, I think the critics who thought negatively of this game just have garbage taste in games. They are the softboiled modern gamers who have no clue where to go without a minimap, or don't understand the concept of micro-managing a camera, or have no sense of exploration. I think if you're attempting to play through a game like this quickly, then it will leave a negative impression. This is the kind of game that you take your sweet time with, and in fact even slow yourself down as much as humanly possible to soak it all in. We saw the same kind of backlash from critics over Alien: Isolation, which was an AMAZING game. But because it was the kind of game you needed to play slowly and the critics were trying to speedrun it to get their reviews out on time, they got needlessly frustrated.

A lot of people are being more than unfair with this game, they are going full-retard. They hate on its open worlds while praising games like BotW or any other generic open world game. The state of modern gaming's community is at an all-time low to me. It's quite sickening.

ontels

Postby ontels » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 am

Pagies in cagies

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”