Yooka-Laylee: General Discussion Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Re: Yooka-Laylee: General Discussion Thread

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Collected 11 pagies so far and while initially taking some time to get used to the first level I had an absolute blast playing the game so far!

Thrilling gameplay in the first world already. The ice is broken and I can't wait to see what's next. Controls are superb and I don't understand the issues with the camera AT ALL so far (minor annoyance at best in some tight corners but you ANTICIPATE those)

I already found some things that got me curious, some empty spaces feel off, could be because they do something when expand I dunno!!! but I'll see later!!!

Enjoy the game and don't forget to collect all the pagies in cagies as well fellow platform adventurers :D
Stop picking your nose

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Ha! Found a funny secret that was kinda obvious XD I lol'd
Stop picking your nose

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 pm

I've just defeated Rampo. I hope the next boss is more difficult to beat than he was.

ELF

Postby ELF » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Anyone know if YK-001 means that I got the first boxed edition or does it just say the same for everyone? I'm guessing the latter.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 pm

i have 10 pagies so far , only 1 level unlock. i love a lot the game.. and i don't see at all the framerate problem.. to me its perfect..

but i saw some little time the problem with camera.. its not perfect but i can deal easy with it..

glad from what i see :)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I didn't get a whole lot of time to play today but I did carve out a section of my day. My immediate reaction is a perfect score. It's like a collection of my heroes came together and developed a game to my exact dream specifications. Probably because that's exactly what happened. The music, voices, world design, platforming, and impeccable attention to every detail down to the geometry of accent furniture takes me right back to the days of Banjo Kazooie. The game is so far exactly what I wanted it to be.

The team should be really proud.
Make the forum great again.

sonicblur111

Postby sonicblur111 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Collected 42 paiges so far and am really enjoying the game :D I just unlocked capital cashino but haven't started playing it yet. I also haven't expanded any of the worlds yet either.

So far the 3rd world is my favourite followed by tribalstack tropics and glitterglaze glacier last.

I have fully completed the first rextro game in tribalstack tropics, not found the coins in the other worlds.

I have done the minecart sections in world 2 & 3.

I have done the world 3 boss, not done world 1 & 2 bosses.

So far I would give the game a 9.2 out of 10

I feel world 2 is a bit too large, or just feels large with the giant lake in it?

But the graphics, music, dialog and gameplay are great :D

So thank you playtonic making for this game :)

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:45 pm

I logged about 11 hours thus far and I'm about halfway through collecting (75 or so pagies and 500ish quills). I have to say I'm not sure why the reviewers were so peeved about the level designs. I actually find them extremely easy to traverse and very simple to find things of interest and figure out where to go. Actually, I almost think they're too simply laid out. There are so many instances where I can skip the proper way to traverse a level by climbing to a high point and flapping across to a different area. I'm looking for more difficulty, honestly.

I really like the characters, though wish there was a bit more variety (world 3 in particular). I'm also not sure how I feel about Clara and Planker popping up in each world (reminds me too much of Nuts and Bolts with the recurring roles/characters).

I understand the camera woes. Some instances (world 3, curse you!) they really create a struggle. I see no other glaring performance issues.

I opted for the strategy of unlocking a world, expanding it, doing everything, and then moving on to the next. Backtracking when future unlocks require me to. I'm fine with this strategy as I think it's allowing progress so move swiftly.

The ghost writers are my favorite part of the game. Coincidentally, Jinjos were my favorite part of BK/BT; however, both are favorites for slightly different reasons. Jinjo's were cute. The ghostwriters are as well, but I like that they aren't as easy to find (Jinjo's were easily heard) and it requires some exploring to stumble upon them. Heidi is my favorite (awesome play on words with that name).

In comparison to BK/BT, I'd say this is a good likeness to them, though BK/BT will likely never be topped for me. I feel the challenges required more thought and were more difficult in BK/BT than in YL. Plus, the world (not the individual ones, but the game world as a whole) seemed more organic and full of life. I liked in BK/BT how the characters had a way of life within their worlds. In some ways, it feels the YL characters are just there.

Overall, I'm impressed and happy to have a game like this. It's difficult to assess when BK/BT are such great forms of inspiration; it's impossible not to look back and make some sort of comparison. But as I progress the game I'm starting to see YL as their own. I like it.

Those are my initial thoughts. I am so happy I followed this game from the start and am happy to see the success of it. I can't wait to see the second half of it unfold as I continue to play, and look forward to see what else Playtonic has in store for us.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 am

I'll just say there was a LOT of very fishy business with the reviews. Jim just gave a totally unheard of game a 10/10 and in his review TALKS ABOUT FLAWS THE GAME HAS. I think several big ticket reviewers identified an opportunity to profit from trash canning the game and threw Playtonic in front of the bus. This indie game made on a shoestring budget in unity outperforms a huge swath of AAA titles from the last year. And it has the added benefit of being charming as heck AND a 3D platformer.

JSPro

Postby JSPro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:37 am

I've put in around 10 hours so far and I'm somewhere around 60 pagies. The game is great although a bit uneven. Hivory Towers is visually stunning while other worlds look a bit thrown together. The two arcade games that I played along with the mine cart levels are a letdown.

Good news is everything else feels just about perfect. The moves are fantastic across the board. I love how much faster you can travel thanks to the roll maneuver and Trousers other moves that I won't spoil. The gameplay is fast, there's never a lack of things to do, and exploration always feels like it pays off. The tone and charm from Banjo is definitely here and holy **** the music is great!

I'll probably come back here after I've beaten it to elaborate but so far aside from a few hiccups it definitely feels like the spiritual successor to Banjo that Platonic promised!

Also, the criticisms that came from Gamexplain are ridiculous. I've watched everything they've posted so far and played through most of the things they complained about. I think they're just mad because they suck at platformers.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 am

So I played Yooka-Laylee for about 2 hours, according to Steam anyway, and I gotta say, I feel pretty overwhelmed... For me, that is. If something's too big or too daunting, I sometimes have difficulty getting motivated to do it all, especially now since my time to play games is so limited. Plus, even though the game emphasizes the whole "explore or expand" thing (which really should be called explore or expand THEN explore, because that's what you're doing regardless), I'm the kind of guy who tries to go for 100% completion, which can be tiring when each world has so many collectables in it. This more than ever makes me miss the Banjo-Kazooie mode; decently sized worlds with just the right amount of collectables and challenges in each of them. Again, this isn't a criticism against the game, it's just how I feel.

Also, yeah, the camera's a bit wonky but not as bad as I was expecting. There ARE some forced perspectives at certain places and my gosh, does it get caught on objects like crazy, it's like I'm bumping around whenever I try to maneuver the camera to how I want it to.

Other than that and some REALLY minor nitpicks, this game isn't bad at all. In fact, I love it! The story had me intrigued, and there's already a mystery element with the book, the Pagies, and Yooka and Laylee's shipwrecked home. The characters are all great, yes, even the minor, incidental ones! I really do feel like each character has their own personality, and each one of them could be on their own personal adventure (though that's not to say I'd want a game focused on each one of them), and the humor is typical Rareware dry, British humor, the kind of humor that would make many people groan but dang it, I just love it! I also want to say, I am LOVING Yooka and Laylee's design, how they're textured, hwo they move, how expressive they can be; already I feel a personal connection with them akin to Banjo and Kazooie! Even characters I didn't think I'd warm up to right away like Trowzer I find myself adoring! Also, some people may take issue with the voice grunting, I didn't mind in the slightest. It's what I've wanted since Banjo-Tooie and I'm glad it's back in full force!

Even though exploring all this space and agonizing to get every single collectable with be tough, I want to pull through just because I love the world this game set up! Thank you, Playtonic, for giving me a joy I haven't felt in ages!

Edit: OH, I almost forgot! I didn't know you could switch to a first-person perspective until I accidentally pressted the left control stick once. I had SUCH a difficult time aiming projectiles until that point. There are other things I could do as far as moves go that was also not told about, though I can't remember exact instances.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:04 am

You can switch to first person? ... that explains some things.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:11 am

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:42 am

13 Pagies in, just decided to open up Glitterglaze Glacier rather than expand World 1. Like most other people in this thread, I am absolutely LOVING this game so far.

I played through the I unexpanded first world and did as much as I could, and I'll probably continue in the same fashion until I have explored everything. Then I'll go back and expand them all in order.

Things I LOVE:

-Every so often, usually in Hivory Towers, I'll come across a blocked door or passage that Ithat is either currently inaccessible or rewuires a new move to access. It's just like Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie when I would come across similar areas and wonder what lies beyond, anxious to progress and find out. The it brings me back to the good ol' days!

-After moving on from the first world, a cut scene plays showing Capital B scheming against the heroes. I wasn't expecting this, but I couldn't help but stupidly smile the whole time. It gives the villain so much character, and I just love (to hate) the guy! Great villain!

-The music. I've listened to the entire soundtrack and I have to say, I greatly underestimated how much I'd adore David Wise's music. The final two world boss themes are some of the best I've ever heard! So amazing!

I can't wait to play more! Thank you Playtonic! Ignore the silly reviews that bash the game for publicity. There are some minor flaws of course but I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Better than I expected.

Amazing game. 10/10!!!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 pm

The game just made me chuckle for the first time.
Laylee says "Lets get out of here, you find all sorts of critters in caves"

Hope there's many more chuckles to come.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:57 pm

199/Quills 24/25 Pagies in TT.
Does anyone know how the "Hunter" Tonic works? It's supposed to help hunt for "important items" but I can't tell if it's an audio or visual cue or whathaveyou. Also is it reffering to Pagies? Quills? otherthings...?

Great first world, I think it's better than even Mumbo Mountain, Mayham Temple, or Jungle Japes.

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm really loving the game so far! But wow..., there are some really tough spots, can't remember Banjo having such hard segments. I'm stuck in Gloomy Gem Grotto for more than an hour now... I'm too proud to just come back later and suck too bad to reach the end of it! :D I'm constantly cursing and screaming and needed this small interruption to write this post and ease off a little.
(Why have I to start ALL OVER AGAIN every single time?!)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Guess you are right..., it's really mind numbing.

This video sums up my struggle pretty well (it's not me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiH2zsX72UU

I especially HATE this segment:

(Sometimes when I'm rolling over the snow I can't even jump... I'm clearly pressing the button but I just roll straight into the abyss.)

And this is as far as I got (a few times):

One time I even reached the platform but didn't stop rolling and fell down.

EDIT: I..., I... just did it! When I saw the next "rolling passage" around the corner I was like "No effing way, I QUIT!" but I did it on my first attempt. :D I got all quills and the pagie... Glad I can peacefully continue playing now. ;)

EDIT 2:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”