Constructive feedback from someone loving the game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
LDK777

Constructive feedback from someone loving the game

Postby LDK777 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 am

Overall the game is great, it would take too long to list all the stuff I like. So instead I'll provide a short list of suggestions for improvement

1. The camera feels like it fights you sometimes. If possible the player should be given more freedom to move the camera without the camera talking back. There's no reason to artificially restrict the player's camera movements and what the player says should win out.

2. If you quit your game in a world, you should start up again in that world (or at least right by the book entrance to that world) No reason at all to have the player warp back to the last door they walked through in the hub, which potentially could be far away.

3. If you get low on health, the health meter should stay on the screen. The auto-hiding health meter makes sense but if you're low on health you need to know so you can be extra careful. I have died many times because I had no idea I was on my last health unit.

4. The passage out of the that leads needs to have a little arrow on it or by it, or otherwise have more attention drawn to it. I ran by it once or twice before seeing it and I remembered a reviewer complaining about getting stuck because he missed a door that was hard to see. The area is kind of dark it's easy to miss it if the camera is not in the right spot.

5. The game is running just fine, however the loading screen has major performance issues (I'm playing on PS4 regular). The animation gets choppy or completely freezes. This happens consistently. It doesn't impact the gameplay but it just looks bad/unprofessional.

Other minor suggestions:

1. The music in and around Retro's arcade... it's too loud and too grating. Maybe that was intentional, but it really is ear poison. Soften it up a little, or better yet make it a catchier, pleasing tune.

2. The smiling images of Yooka and Laylee by the health meter, shouldn't they get more frowny as they take damage, ala original Banjo Kazooie?

JSPro

Re: Constructive feedback from someone loving the game

Postby JSPro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 am

Absolutely yes to number 4. I legit ran around the entire hub for a good 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get to the next area when it should have been completely obvious.

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Yes I missed it twice myself, only wasted about 5-10 minutes of searching. And that was with my remembering having heard a reviewer complain a lot about a hard to see door hidden in the dark that he missed for a long time. It's definitely the one he was talking about. It's in a dark room at an odd angle (you're normally coming in from above the first time).

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:18 pm

They need to add a restart in the pause menu when your doing a Rextro minigame, it takes too long to quit and restart.

Thrix

Postby Thrix » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Agree to some of these! I didn't personally find Rextro's music to be that bad though but that's probably a very individual thing. I'm failing to remember the door that was tricky to find at the moment. I didn't have any problems with finding my way, personally, but I'm also the super explorative type (and the fact that I can't even remember it says a lot). Can someone describe it more specifically? On one hand I think it's good that the hub is tricky and requires proper exploring, but I can also see why it would be a source of frustration since it directly impedes progress instead of being able to simply tackle another challenge as you would in a level.

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:39 am

The somewhat hard to see door...

howieb

Postby howieb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:29 am

I absolutely agree with :

'1. The camera feels like it fights you sometimes. If possible the player should be given more freedom to move the camera without the camera talking back. There's no reason to artificially restrict the player's camera movements and what the player says should win out.'

This has bugged me from the first 10 seconds of play to present. There are times when control of the camera should be taken away - tight areas, stuff getting in the way, but for the rest of the time free control or the option for free control would be very welcome. One of the things I loved the most about Mario 64 was being the director of my own game, flipping the camera around and viewing things from the angle I want while running around. I'm constantly trying to do this in Yooka Laylee and the controls keep fighting back :evil:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”