Long time Rare adventure/platform game fan constructive (I hope!) critcism

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
howieb

Long time Rare adventure/platform game fan constructive (I hope!) critcism

Postby howieb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:54 am

I'm focusing on the negatives here - apologies in advance!

I love adventure/platform games. Specifically the N64 era Rare titles and Mario 64. I played them all. They are my bag. And I'm super happy to support Playtonic Games in everything they make and will keep doing so if they continue to help revive this genre. However, i'm having issues with Yooka-Laylee and they're nearly all centred around the controls. Specifically the camera. It feels a little wonky and - and this is the bit that really grates - it keeps fighting me as i'm running around and trying to direct the view! An option for a free camera would be very, very welcome. There also appears to be a tiny bit of input lag (playing on PS4 and not the display) and little weight to the characters. Things don't feel snappy and precise. To some these may be minor gripes, but for me the controls and feel of the game are everything and, in these respects, Yooka-Laylee feels like a step back.

And the voices. They are annoying. Subjective, I know, and they never bothered me in previous games, but for whatever reason they annoy the hell out of me in Yooka-Laylee. Turning off sound effects in options fixed this but unfortunately turn of all character sounds - I want to hear jump noise etc. It'd be OK if characters made the garbled speech noise for a second or so when starting a string of conversation (i'm doing this manually by pressing X, which is a hassle), but for the whole time makes me want to eat my own face! I've also been banned from playing in the living room purely because of this :evil:

So sorry about the moan. There's plenty of good to write about - it's a joy to have a big 3D playground to run around and explore again - but the above issues have marred things for me.

Thrix

Re: Long time Rare adventure/platform game fan constructive (I hope!) critcism

Postby Thrix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:51 am

Hm...I'll agree that the camera is a tad wonky but I never really had any huge issues with it. If push comes to shove then it's usually enough to press the R button/bumper/R1(? never played the PS4 version) to center the camera behind me or hold it down to have it constantly follow Yooka. It's honestly on par with cameras in the old N64 games. Never noticed any input lag either but, to be fair, I haven't played the PS4 version so I don't know how that one plays. But are you sure this is not just general input lag due to your tv? Is the problem only in Yooka-Laylee or other games as well?

I do agree that the voices get annoying pretty quick and I was honestly flabbergasted since they NEVER bother me in BK or BT. I think it's got to do with the mixing and the way one sound flows into another. I think the change to another voice clip is more abrupt and "sharp". It should also be noted that the volume for the voices are louder than in the older games (I think). What I did was lower the sound effects volume a bit and that solved the issue for me.

howieb

Re: Long time Rare adventure/platform game fan constructive (I hope!) critcism

Postby howieb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 am

That's the thing - I don't necessarily want the camera centred behind and following Yooka. I might want a side view, for example. If you're running in a direction and move the camera around at the same time it stops doing what your thumbs are telling it to do and auto resets - it's this fighting back that's jarring. We didn't have dual analogue back in the day and this wasn't as noticeable. Going off on related a tangent - one of the best things about Mario 64 is it lets you set the camera angle and, for the most part, it stays put. While playing i'm constantly changing perspective - even running directly towards the camera - and it adds massively the experience. Re. input lag, I mentioned it's not my display. In fact the first thing I did was check game mode was on as things felt a little sluggish. It is slight and not a massive issue, but coupled with the lack of weight to the characters it has an effect. Running and jumping around in Mario 64, for example, feels noticeably more precise and satisfying.

I hope this doesn't all come across as overly negative, but these things are impacting my enjoyment of the game.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”