Yooka Laylee difficulty. What do you think?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

How hard is the game?

Easier than Banjo-Kazooie
20%
Harder than Banjo-Kazooie but easier than Banjo-Tooie
44%
Harder than Banjo-Tooie
36%

Total votes: 25

Omega

Yooka Laylee difficulty. What do you think?

Postby Omega » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:02 am

I had a blast playing this game, I love it so much. Personally I find it to be harder than Kazooie but (a little) easier than Tooie. I am not talking about 100% completion, but about the challenges to win the pagies and the overall structure of the worlds/hub world.

Share your opinions :)

Natsu

Re: Yooka Laylee difficulty. What do you think?

Postby Natsu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:11 am

I voted easier than Tooie but harder than Kazooie, but I voted based on 100% completion. I'm close to being 100% done with YL without resorting to a walkthrough at all, which is something I couldn't even dream of accomplishing in Tooie. I even found one of the super secret unlisted hidden items in YL on my own.

That said, I think Tooie is mostly more difficult in its easter egg gameplay, while I would say YL is more difficult than Tooie in terms of mechanical skill.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 am

I guess this is just me being better at games now than when I was younger playing the Banjo games, but I found YL extremely easy with the exception of some challenges in Worlds 4 and 5. Far easier than any of the Banjo games. I also felt like the Banjo games required a certain amount of mystery and effort in actually figuring out how to get the jiggies. I felt all the YL pagies were easy to find and figure out. But again, it may just be that I was 12 at the time of playing Banjo and am much older now lol

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:08 am

Yooka laylee, when having unlocked all moves is an easy game with the occasional challenge. Like... 2/25 per level. The challenges can be outright frustrating for people with no real knowledge and experience with the genre.

I tried letting my girlfriend finish the golf course in the Marsh :)
Stop picking your nose

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:31 am

Harder than both banjo games.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I played banjo and tooie as a kid but also as an adult on xbox with the rare replay. Those games are definitly easier than YL. Those 2 games were designed for kids, YL was design more for their now adult fanbase. YL still isnt really hard, some parts are just frustrating like traversing the dark cave in the second world or some of the quiz questions like asking how many thousands of tiles are in the room you're in. I like hard games like Dark Souls and Super Meat boy. But you have to implement difficulty the right way where when you lose you feel like its your fault because the challenge is fair and you have complete control of things, instead of some frustrating BS mechanic. YL doesnt do well with this.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm

I really don't understand how you can say YL's difficulty is unfair while Meat Boy or Dark Souls is fair. There wasn't a single thing in YL that made me feel like it wasn't my fault for failing at. If it were truly the game that was causing you to fail, and not your lack of skill, then why is it that I beat the dark gem area on my first try? In fact, I played through it multiple times because it was just so fun and I never failed at it. I've also heard people complaining about the snow plough platforming, but I've only failed at that once and it was obvious that I didn't grasp the controls fully.

It sounds like complete special pleading to say these forms of difficulty aren't "fair."
It's a single player game without any elements of true randomness. It is 100% your fault if you fail at anything in it. Once speedruns start getting published do you actually for-see people getting unfairly bested at a minigame and creating variance in their times? I sure don't. I think speedruns will be down to player skill entirely.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:57 am

Well I actually haven't lost a single quiz question. I HIGHLY doubt speedrunners will get tripped over this stuff because it's easy to take note of it and even easier so when you are doing everything in the game in under 1 hour. Beyond that, it's not like you absolutely have to get every question right. You have three lives there. Is that something that seriously pisses you off while playing? Getting a quiz question wrong?

I completely and utterly disagree with you on the dark gem grotto or whatever it's called. I didn't just make it through once, I have done that gauntlet about a dozen times because it's fun. I've only failed it once on one of those attempts and a few more when trying to do it backwards. Maybe there is something seriously wrong with your brightness settings? I don't feel like I have any issue seeing ahead of me. You are eating the glowbugs right? Beyond that, maybe you just need to slow down. A lot of players are assuming Yooka's roll is like a goron roll from Majora or something. You don't have to move fast at all. You won't fall off a slope, you can sit perfectly still as a ball, there's no downside to just creeping through that place.

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:06 am

I found most of the game to be trivially easy. There were a few tricky puzzles or challenges and those I enjoyed the most. I understand most of the pagies need to be easy, but the game could have used a few more tough ones (and a few more medium difficulty ones as well).

Mew Mew Psychic

Postby Mew Mew Psychic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 am

The game is very odd, frankly, difficulty-wise.

Exploration-wise, the game is much more challenging than Banjo-Kazooie and while none of the Pagies ever reach the complexity of Tooie's toughest Jiggies, the general level of challenge in finding everything is very high. There are some fiendishly hidden collectibles that few players will find without consulting a guide.

However, combat is very schizophrenic ; encounters are either incredibly trivial or brutally difficult with no middle ground. Basic Corplets are pushovers, most Bees can be cheesed, and Corplet Punishers are a total letdown. Likewise, some of the bosses are surprisingly simplistic and just don't compare to how tough Tooie's bosses were. On the other hand, large mobs of Corplets supported by Bees will absolutely tear you apart even with the last moves unlocked and a fully-powered duo and boss-wise, the first and final bosses are disproportionally difficult. This wouldn't be so jarring if all bosses were brutal (in fact, I would like that) but the fact that the first boss is so hard compared to most other bosses is jarring and unfitting.

Overall, the game is harder to complete than Kazooie but it doesn't tax you the whole way like Tooie does (and as much as I like Yooka-Laylee's final boss, it just doesn't compare to the monstrosity that was the Hag-1).

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:27 am

That's interesting to me that you found the first boss the hardest. I found the first boss to be piss-easy. I didn't get hit more than twice and beat him with ease.

I found the world 4 boss to be among the toughest, tied with the final boss. Those two made me try half a dozen times on each one until I got it right, but it was pretty satisfying.

Mew Mew Psychic

Postby Mew Mew Psychic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:01 am

Actually, I found the final boss to be the hardest.

What I meant is that I found the first boss to be harder than the second and third one initially.

To me, I just feel that the second boss need more attacks and the third boss could use having shorter vulnerability windows.

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 pm

It's Rextro's games I have the biggest problem with. I hate them unfortuately :(
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:09 pm

"because I attempted to roll around the logs he threw, which was made almost impossible because of the controls."

Okay, wtf. I just fought Rampo for the second time and tried this and he is still quite easy. I didn't get hit once by the logs when I tried to roll around him on his first two phases. There's clearly no issue with the controls if I can easily do that. You only have to jump to reach his platform and to dodge phase 3.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”