A list of Issues I Have with the game.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
LocoTony

A list of Issues I Have with the game.

Postby LocoTony » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:58 am

bigfanofoldrare

Re: A list of Issues I Have with the game.

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:20 am

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 am

Some of your complaints seem to stem from your preconception of this being a platformer, i.e. "gating progress due to a non-platforming challenge," or "flying being overpowered." This is not a platformer; it's a collectathon. Collectathons have a few platforming elements but they are their own genre.

Personally, I adore backtracking and want as much of it as possible. It's a staple for this genre and it is extremely satisfying for me. I guess it's just one of those love it or hate it things.

I didn't think flying was that overpowered at all. I can't think of too many pagies that can be obtained via flying as opposed to platforming. Most of those are on the first two worlds. World 4 offers its own aerial transformation (which you can warp out of at any time by holding RT), and then you will earn your flight for world 5 which has very few platforming segments. I'll have to see what it's like to rush the flight move and go back to world 3, but I doubt it will be anything significant. The flight move is largely a big quality of life thing for backtracking or moving to high areas quickly.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:33 pm

I was also hoping the minecart sectioms were going to be like DKC. They are not fun at all in this game. Leave the minecarts to Retro studios in future guys.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Fully agree on the minecart sections and the bosses. Also, besides your criticism of glass and ice, it often occured to me that I tried to break glass with Laylee's Sonar 'splosion, just to find that it had to be broken with another move I would learn a bit later. There was no real logic behind when I had to use one or the other.

My biggest personal complaint would be level size. I'd have taken 8 levels being half as big over 5 giant levels every day. You don't want to run through the same assets for one sixth of the game... At the very least they could have let the levels (earlier ones) start even smaller and maybe build in more than a single expansion step?

About the hub: While it clearly was a bit confusion, my only really issue was that it wasn't in one piece, meaning that sometimes the game would have to load while in the hub. That made looking for stuff in there kind of annoying.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:00 pm

i miss that earlier..

i 100% agree with flying.. its too op , way too op.. i try to find soluce without that in map.. for me its a major issue with the game.

Omega

Postby Omega » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:06 pm

I think I am the only person who liked every single thing Yooka Laylee had (and I am not a backer). Some minecart sections were pretty hard though, but I like some hard challenge. And about the bosses, I think Rampo was the worst, but all the others were pretty good. I loved Capital B boss fight.

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Flying really does trivialize the game. They give it to you at the end for a reason because once you get it, going back to the old levels is just too easy to do stuff.

Level 5 is designed with flying in mind but the other levels were designed for you to be on the ground, so when you get flying and go back to them, kinda makes them too easy.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 am

I got flying after completing most of the first and second world so I had it for world 3/4/5. It definitely makes things go alot faster in the swamp. Alot of the swamp is various islands in a sea of toxic water. I assume getting from island to island would be painful, without flying. But with flying its pretty easy. I can only remember 1 pagie that I was able to easily get on that level with flying though. On world 4 you have the helicopter anyways. World 5 was made with flying in mind. It would seem for the most part flying doesn't necessarily get you pagies easily, it just helps you traverse the world much faster and more easily. Im sure it would help alot on the first and second world, but its not possible to get it that early.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm

They could've, I dunno, make flying only accessible from certain spots... Like, a ground plate or something.

Seriously though, I don't really mind the flying that much. What was far more disappointing was the fact that a lot of the regions you could only reach through flying had absolutely nothing hidden there (e.g. the roof of the Octupus house in MMM).

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Achievements sometimes don't unlock...
In my case; the 'Purchase all Trowzer's moves' achievement on X1..

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:01 pm

.....So what are the pros?

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 am

I love the game and as you say, Playtonic did a fantastic job. I agree the hub is too complex and needs simplified.

I love Rextro as a character but his games are annoying, frustrating and I hate playing them.

The swimming controls i wish were more like N64

Not a fan of the roll move, it's good for speed (would have been good in nuts n bolts instead of cars!) But not intricate movement

I don't like the butterfly system. I actually prefer some resource management. The meter can be annoying. It has only ever worked well in a link between worlds for me.

Camera isn't great. Banjo was better with C buttons.

I do think though that people should judge Yooka-Laylee for what it is and not compare to Banjo-Kazooie. Treat it as it's own entity. It's a good game in its own right and i cant believe I'm playing it :)
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 am

DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 pm

I hear that. But I meant the OP.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”