Zero Punctuation review for Yooka-Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

Zero Punctuation review for Yooka-Laylee

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 am

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, aka bitter, anti-social, Britsh-born Australian prick, reviews Yooka-Laylee in the latest Zero Punctuation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThX6cIb1mss

You know, this review wasn't what I was expecting, and honestly, Yahtzee does raise a good point about the inconsistencies of the game, not to mention sequence breaking and giving an interesting interpretation of the "expanding worlds" idea that Playtonic used in this game. Incidentally, I haven't gotten the flying move, but I came across a section in the first world that definitely seems made for that technique.

And hey, he said the game was diverse fun, how do you like that! I honestly was not expecting that kind of praise from Yahtzee... Hell, I wasn't expecting him to like the game at all, so I'll take what I can get!
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

LDK777

Re: Zero Punctuation review for Yooka-Laylee

Postby LDK777 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 am

They put the flying move towards the "end" of the game for a reason, however with the expandable world concept it really isn't at the 'end' if you don't want it to be, you can get it decently early on if that' your goal.

The flying is way too open ended and versatile. It does indeed trivialize the first 4 worlds once you get it (world 5 was built with flying in mind, the other 4 not so much).

Sequels really need to keep flying more special. Like in BK you could only launch from launch pads, not wherever the heck you wanted. That's a pretty good solution actually.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 am

I think a better solution is to let players fly around to their hearts' content once they get it, but to restrict just about every single collectible from being accessed through flight. The game largely already does this. For instance, the turbo tunnel homage has a random air duct blowing downwards, so if you try to glide down the slide with your fly ability it will blow you into the slide immediately. Even in the earlier worlds there are many pagies that the flight would theoretically help with, but they make you move through hoops in sequence, which flight is generally bad at.

There are a few exceptions, of course. You can fly to the top of Shovel Knight's temple for the gem, or fly to that pagie at the blowers who doesn't know how to slip through the cage. But for the most part, I haven't noticed the flight move destroying any of the actually serious challenges in the game. A good middle grand should be to just have more hoops, blowers, and locks in place to prevent flight when it's not wanted. I actually think the wonderwing equivalent in this game is more disconcerting. It kind of ruins the final boss in my opinion.

DrGoodnick

Postby DrGoodnick » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:16 am

Eh, Yahtzee reviews are never to be taken seriously. They're purely just for a laugh, his whole gimmick revolves around being overly negative and cynical. More of entertainment than serious balanced reviews. The review gave me a bit of a laugh and he didn't crap on it as bad as I thought he would.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am

Still a review.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

His claim that YL is to BK as Might9 is to MegaMan is about as far off the mark as you can get. MN9 is a steaming pile of garbage that comes NOTHING close to the source material. Yooka Laylee is a great game in its own right and comes very close to the source material. The rest of the review is more or less opinions and for most of it I fell into the "I can see why someone would feel that way" camp.
Make the forum great again.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 am

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”