Want to love it, but that camera!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
harryvok

Want to love it, but that camera!

Postby harryvok » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 am

I understand this is meant to be a throw back to older, difficult 3D platformers, but a bad camera isn't a 'challenge'. It's just horribly frustrating.

Really enjoy the world, characters and powers etc, but the camera just makes parts of the game far more frustrating than they need to be to the point I don't want to play it anymore until it is fixed. Yes I'm older and don't have the reflexes I used to, but the camera getting 'locked' near walls or suddenly changing angle on its own when moving in certain places has lead to a lot of unnecessary deaths. It's really ruined the experience for me.

If you're going to lock the camera or have wonky camera controls say in an area you are doing platforming against a wall, it would have been much better to cut to an almost side 2d view for those areas than what can currently happens.

The camera is really the only complaint I have, but it is such a big one that I've lost all interest in playing.

Scrubber

Re: Want to love it, but that camera!

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am

I got used to it. It only annoys me when it jerks around and interferes with gameplay.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I had like 1 problem with the camera during my playthough.
People just didn't play BK/BT (enough), or they're just overreacting (or have to git gut).. :)
Last edited by Piet on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harryvok

Postby harryvok » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

LocoTony

Postby LocoTony » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

What I noticed when playing that the games autocamera works really well but if you try manually controlling it a lot it goes doo doo. try the autocamera out.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm the opposite, I can't stand the auto-camera and instead I have my thumb on the camera moving it slightly 100% of the time. The camera is at its best when you keep it angled towards the ground and constantly moving to the side to counteract it from auto-scrolling behind you. Just press the jump button with your index finger. Might be easier for some than others, but I'm really oldschool and even played Banjo Kazooie by clawing the controller.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”