Another List of Minor Issues & Proposals

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
baker_boy0017

Another List of Minor Issues & Proposals

Postby baker_boy0017 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Hey guys! I am an old-time Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie fan, and I (like many of you) helped back this game. I have to say that I love this game a lot! However, we - the fans - cannot deny the existence of issues that detract from the game. This list is meant propose solutions for some of the smaller issues the game has: issues which should take an incredibly small amount of time and effort to change.

I have beaten the game multiples times, and am currently halfway through the 3-butterfly challenge. So please do not come in here and accuse me of wanting to just make the game easier or not being good at this game: I have beaten this game 100% numerous times; I am not looking for an easier time, but rather for a more fun and overall more enjoyable time. Without further ado, here we go!

1. Lizard Leap: Make Higher
This move is very underwhelming. I was very put off by how small of a boost the jump gives compared to the ordinary double jump that the player can do. Even areas that "require" this move to reach are barely scaled with it. I propose the jump simply go higher, making the move more valuable overall (particularly after getting deeper into the game and unlocking a certain other move).

2. Butterflies: Heal both Stats at Once
I am predicting right now that some of you will take issue with this proposal. The thing is, when were you ever really in a bind and had to choose what you wanted to heal? I can say that I have never been in this situation. Energy regenerates anyway: so why bother separating these? I think combining them together simplifies things, and removes the frustration of, say, wanting life, but accidentally getting energy instead. As it now it just... feels unpolished. It feels needlessly separated, so I propose we change that.

3. Butterflies: Make them Bigger
Can we please also increase the butterfly size? Some challenges – like the races with Nimble – are disturbingly difficult only because you can’t run into the butterflies easily. Because they don't sit on the ground and are very flat, it is difficult to gauge where these guys are in 3D space. Increasing size will help compensate for that.

4. Googly Eye Baddies: Add extra Animation while Spinning
I think we’ve all had the misfortune of trying to smack one of these guys while they are preparing their spin attack. We have no real reason to think we can’t hurt them while they are still standing still, right? I’m not suggesting we make them more vulnerable: I’m suggesting we add some kind of red tornado animation or effect around them while they are in fact invulnerable. This should help us visually distinguish when we can and can’t hurt these guys.

5. Slurp Shot/State: Add Timer
I imagine we can all agree how annoying it is not knowing how much time is left on these moves. I propose a small bar be added when you eat something that basically counts down how long it will last. This would take a frustrating and annoying element out of the game, while hopefully making it feel more polished.

6. Kartos: Add Reload and Boost Timers
Kartos is another area of the game that would greatly benefit from having some timer animations added so you know how long you need to wait before shooting again, or speeding/slowing again. As it is now, it's a complete shot in the dark, which is certainly irritating.

7. Red Ghost Writer: Reduce to Fewer Hits
The other four ghost writers don't take as much effort as this one, and this one actually attacks you too! I think it'd be nice if the number of times we have to hit him was reduced to 2, or even 1. He is still challenging, just appropriately so compared to his ghostly companions.

8. Slurp State: Increase Range of Glowing
The Gloomy Gem Grotto was never much of a difficulty for me, but I can see how people struggled on it. I think part of the problem is that the glowing move doesn't have much range: you can't see much that isn't directly in front of you. I propose we simply increase the size of this glowing effect by a little bit, something between 10 and 50%, just so it feels a bit more useful.

9. Rextro/Kartos Minigames: Add Restart Option in Menu
Do I really need to elaborate on this one?

So there’s the list so far. Let me know what you guys think. I know other lists like this have floated around, but I don't see the bad side of repeating things we want changed. I want to make clear that I love this game, and just want Playtonic to make it even better. As we wait for the big "spit n polish" patch to come around, I hope Playtonic can read things like this and make any additional changes needed in the patch.

Buzzard

Re: Another List of Minor Issues & Proposals

Postby Buzzard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 am

Buzzard

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:32 pm

The Kartos one I'm kind of hoping they have touched up... it said they added a number of new effects or something to that section, so I'm optimistic.

I think they didn't touch on a number of things that people are interested in, mostly because of how "minor" those things may be and how many of them there are. I'm hoping they they have a lot more stuff coming with the patch than they wrote down.

I'm a bit irritated that it looks like Butterflies will still have their two roles roles separated, but I may be alone in that camp. I just hated when I was low on life in the middle of some challenge (e.g. Murky Passage), found a butterfly, and got useless energy from it because the butterfly collided with me before I could "eat" it. Usually this happened when I busted down crates to get the butterflies. Oh well. At least the butterfly will heal transformations now!

I'm happy to see this patch is aiming for a release in the next month! (At least for PC users like me)

Buzzard

Postby Buzzard » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 am

Yeah, I'm also hoping there are more changes coming, besides the ones on the list. They did mention that we will be getting another list of bug-fixes in the near future.

I agree that it feels a bit unnecessary to use butterflies to restore energy instead of health 90% of the time. During the Nimble race is the one time I can think of where it makes sense... But the butterflies could definitely be more visually defined.
Buzzard

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Yeah I've thought about Nimble... but having to simply stop and use your tongue still takes too much time for how fast the puff of air goes. Oh well. Hopefully they at least make those butterflies bigger.

I'm happy to see that other major complaints are being addressed. The arcade games getting "design" work really makes me happy. Rextro was the weakest part of the game in my opinion.

I'm super excited that they are aiming for the patch to come out this month! I've played through the game several times now, and imagine that I'll start another new game when the update goes live.

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:59 am

-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”