Spin-off graphic novel revealed!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Operationgamer17

Spin-off graphic novel revealed!

Postby Operationgamer17 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:08 pm

EekumBokum202

Re: Spin-off graphic novel revealed!

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Kickstarter, huh? ...Eh, I'll try not to be cynical about this, but it's a shame that they couldn't use the funds from game sales to support this.

Also, it's weird that Laylee looks more feminine here when in-game, there's nothing distinguishly masculine or feminine about either Yooka or Laylee respectively, to the point of wondering why even assign them their specific genders at all.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm glad Playtonic aren't running this Kickstarter themselves and even more glad that they aren't spending their profits on this. It seems interesting and I would read it if it were ever published, but I have doubts as to whether this campaign will be funded. Is the demand for a 'graphic novel' there? Does that demand equal $40k? It won't come from my pocket.

Edit: okay, $40 did come from my pocket. I was won over by the Kickstarter!
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Not even slightly Interested.

DMCumbo

Postby DMCumbo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi Folks! I'm Dave from Dreamprism, the creator of this graphic novel. I've noticed some concerns about the project and thought I'd jump onto the forums to see if I can address any directly or if I can answer questions. It's really important to me as a huge Yooka-Laylee and classic Rareware fan that the biggest Yooka fans find the book interesting -- if not, I know I have some work to do. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to discuss the book.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:44 am

I'm definitely not interested either because it's not by Playtonic who are the ones who know what their characters are supposed to be like and what their personalities are. I consider this comic to just be fanfiction, and I don't like fanfiction for any fandom.
Plus I don't like how Laylee has been made to look too feminine, as that doesn't fit with her character and personality.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Kickstarter’s up. Already at $13K.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... acklestone

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 am

Taylonic Ltd.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 am

You know I might throw some money at this simply because how adorable Laylee is! :lol:

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am

The art style is a little too overly cutified for my taste, I would've preferred one closer to the game. But from what I've read on the campaign page I think Dave pretty much nailed the characters and their quirks, so this could be a fun read! (There are even some potshots at Rextro and his infamous arcade games)

Since he has the blessing of Playtonic I don't consider it fan fiction, I don't think they would approve it if he completely derailed from the source material. Just look at something like Batman comics, there have been a gazillion different writers since Bob Kane but (even though they heavily differ in quality) no one would consider them fan fiction as long as DC approves them.

I enjoy both comics and Yooka-Laylee, so... I might give this a shot!

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:04 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm

It's great to see the series branch out like this, and I like what I'm seeing so far (even if I too find it odd that Laylee isn't more "ugly-cute") so I'm looking forward to this comic.

Regarding the discussion above, if Playtonic approved it, then it's official, there is simply no way arround it. The term people who aren't interested in the comic or in that Harry Potter play should be using instead is "non canon" (I'm NOT implying the comic will be like that play, of course, the comic looks good).
Like with any franchise's suplemental material, people don't have to like the comic and can ignore it but disregarding it as fanfiction is harmful for Playtonic and YL because it goes against their plan, like calling merchandise "fan art" or ports "fan games".

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm

If this were a Banjo-Kazooie/Conker graphic novel I would have gladly backed it in an instant, but since it isn't, I'll pass. Lovely art style though.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Kickstarter’s now at $23K.

DMCumbo

Postby DMCumbo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 am

Hi Folks:

Sorry I'm late to the discussion. Just to offer some quick feedback. I've heard a lot of positive responses to the art but also some concerns (mainly over Laylee's design). I'm planning to do my best in the time I have (provided the campaign is funded) to address them. Of course, I'll struggle a bit with this due to deadlines and being somewhat locked into what I'm capable of making as an artist. Naturally every work will have a slightly different look!

Several people have pointed out concerns over this being official or not. I understand this concern more than you know. In that regard, I guess I would call it a project made with Playtonic's blessing. If it makes people feel better, this is no quick "cash-in." I've already dedicated two years of full-time effort to making this a really special book. I did this because it was critical to avoid asking for financial support until I knew precisely how much time was needed. I completely understand the concerns about this being produced by someone outside the studio. That said, take heart in knowing the Playtonic carefully reviewed it every step of the way and offered feedback where necessary (but not in a manner that distracted them from game development).

As for my own experience, and for what it's worth, I was the story artist for cinematic development at Insomniac Games for about seven years before I branched off into graphic novels. I worked on five Ratchet and Clank titles, Sunset Overdrive, Resistance 2 and 3, and a number of other titles for other studios such as WayForward.

I'm taking this project very seriously and want it to feel like a game in itself. It has a distinct world with over eight unique regions that are all brand new... in addition to a section with Hivory Towers and Shipwreck Creek. I completely understand folks not wanting to give it a shot and your direct feedback is really important to me. I just hope I can make something people will enjoy!

DMCumbo

Postby DMCumbo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”