Should Project Ukulele have vehicles?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rawk

Should Project Ukulele have vehicles?

Postby Rawk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:35 pm

, the team mentioned that they would not be entertaining any "bad ideas" such as the "building of vehicles."

Such words sent many sad arrows into my heart. And joke or not, I really do think Playtonic might be misjudging the wishes of their audience. Just like the consensus on Grabbed by the Ghoulies is more favorable now than it was ten years ago, I'd say Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts should soon be hitting that point as well. This time next year, I'd wager everyone here will love vehicles and will want more of them!

So guys! Got any ideas for cool new vehicle parts? Have any suggestions on how the vehicle-builder could be refined? And most importantly, what kinds of radical next-gen vehicles do you plan to make?

Discuss.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Re: Should Project Ukulele have vehicles?

Postby Viellain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:39 pm

I'd like to drive and make my own vehicle in a big ass world and absolutely have fun maybe as a secret feature for finishing the game because Nutty Acres is too small for fast 100 mph+ jets. But I don't think that is going to happen. Also cupcake that trolley. That thing is slow and can't fly. Also notice how the forum signature says "
Playtonic Forums
Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times." Not sure if this is pointing to anything, but worth mentioning.

But I would love non-homing missiles, a fastshooting egggun. and being able to drive the vehicles in the hub-world of N&B.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:40 pm

No. Absolutely not. The only vehicles I want to see are Canary Mary/Boggy-type races. A racing mini-game, or some type of object you can use to move a bit faster (like the bike from the Pokemon games) is the only vehicle-based gaming I will enjoy.

I loathed Nuts & Bolts' building element.
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Taylonic Ltd.

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:43 pm

Another DKViner!

Well I think for now they should focus on a platformer. Maybe later, much, much later they could make a new IP with vehicles in it. I actually liked N&B but I think it should've been a new anthropomorphic mascot IP. And jeez has it really almost been 10 years since N&B? That's crazy to think about.

clanker

Postby clanker » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:47 pm

Ah geez, look at this touchy subject.

I don't hate Nuts & Bolts by any means, I thought it was okay and interesting, I was just really disappointed because I was hoping for a more traditional 3d platformer (I also still think Banjo looks weird with a boxy snout, but maybe that's just me).

I think one of the points of Project Ukulele is to get back to those N64 kinds of platforming experiences. Vehicles might be fine for some minigames or a bonus thing, but I'm not sure this is the right place to make vehicles a central mechanic again.

Would I want to see another game down the road from Playtonic focus on vehicles more? I'd be open to it. Should Project Ukulele have vehicles? Probably not/mostly no.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Yeah, I'm not really interested in vehicles, either. I agree that maybe a minigame or two with them would be fine, but I'll be pretty disappointed if they're a major part of the game like in Nuts and Bolts.

Although if I'm being honest, I have to admit that I never really played Nuts and Bolts, so maybe it's not as bad as it is in my head.

qwertyo76

Postby qwertyo76 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:17 am

I'm gonna go ahead and use my status of someone who played, completed and thoroughly enjoyed Nuts and Bolts to say: No, vehicles wouldn't be a good idea.

Look, as much as I loved NaB for what it was, and that I think it was legitimately creative and awesome and horribly under-appreciated, people aren't just indifferent to the vehicle gameplay; they hate it. They want nothing to do with it. NaB's very poor sales reflects this.

Of course, the chaps already said something to the effect of them not doing anything that you wouldn't expect to see in a platform game, so I'm not worried.

Wouldn't mind seeing a NaB sequel from the current Rare though. Let's just keep things separated, hmm? Don't turn things into things they're not.
"Tiny creatures far below, which of you'll be first to go?"

Rare

Postby Rare » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:19 am

absolutely not. save that for the blast corps successor.

PeanutCrunch89

Postby PeanutCrunch89 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:20 am

This first game should keep more of a focus on classic 3D platforming, saving expansive ideas like vehicles for later games. Maybe they can even save that for a "Kart Racer" once they've established enough of their characters in this new universe.

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:25 am

Vehicle based game is fine, but calm down; Ukelele is marketed as being a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. Every interview I have seen or heard flirts with the return to 3D platforming. Let platformers be platformers and vehicle based games be vehicle based games. They don't need to be packaged alongside one another unless you're planning on luring hundreds and thousands of fans into purchasing your game through deceptive marketing that plays on the nostalgia from a franchise associated with old school platforming.

Who knows, maybe a few years from now L.O.G. can have his own standalone game. Where you build cars. Cars upon cars upon cars. Y'know, with all the innovation and originality that he felt platformers sorely lacked, but without leeching off the marketability of two icons who made their name in that genre.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:28 am

NO.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:31 am

Also a bit off-topic here. How many people have even see the Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts credits that you can select for the menu? Just a little funny dry humored stuff about how they don't want to say anything bad about microsoft. Or how they really just admitted that they said replace abilities with stupid vehicles. There's some stuff that really show they've learned a lot from what was Nuts and Bolts and really just know to appeal perfectly in terms of character design. And said how "All of the real talent left years ago".

Decided to post this stuff here since there's a clusterbunch of topics and don't really want to add to that currently.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:40 am

The entire point of Project Ukulele is to bring back old-school 3D platforming in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie. To suggest in bringing vehicles into the game would be pretty contradicting that now wouldn't it OP?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:07 am

I agree with the "No. Absolutely not." mentality. The first game is a 3D platformer. They have said it will remain a 3D platformer. Cars don't have a place here. Nuts and Bolts was a fun game as a game but it was AWFUL as a Banjo-Kazooie title. Leave the cars in the garage.

They've confirmed characters, with lots of learnable skills, collecting things. That's exactly what I want.
Make the forum great again.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:08 am

Erm, I would hope not. I would like to forget the shame Nuts and Bolts brought on the BK franchise. While it was an interesting and inventive concept, it just took way too much away from the charm the originals had. Please, no vehicles for Project Ukelele.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:31 am

I want run and jump around as a cool character with neat abilities that is also fun to play as. So even considering it seriously I still say no vroomy vroom mcgogo machine things unless it is an enemy/boss/world piece/etc.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 am

They're just joking around about that. They said that they had a lot of fun with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, even though that's not what everyone wanted. Here, it seems clear that they're NOT going to make anything other then a straight-up 3D platformer with collectibles. But, who knows, maybe they'll include a small vehicle section if enough people want it... which I doubt.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am

Come to think of it, adding a vehicle into the game wouldn't be so bad. Namely a truck so I can store all the hundreds of collectibles in it and drive it back to the main characters house. :lol:
Last edited by Xellos on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarzerix

Postby Tarzerix » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:34 am

If done right, it can be quite some fun. Why not? Many beloved Rare (non racing)games had added it in some form. As racing minigames, fast shoes, submarines, spaceships, tanks etc. Forget Nuts & Bolts...there are quite some ways to implement a "vehicle-gameplay" element nicely... It seems to be clear, that they don't plan to build a whole game around vehicles.

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:46 am

No thank you.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”