Careful With Competition

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

Careful With Competition

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:29 am

I know that this game is starting, but we need to be aware of the other competitors that want to be like Playtonic. (Some of these were even made way before Playtonic Games studio was founded.) For example, these games:

1. A Hat In Time
2. FreezeMe
3. Lobodestroyo
4. Spooky Poo's Happy Hell

I'll admit, when I searched for info and videos of it, it look really good, except for Clive N' Wrench, in which the characters look "fugly" as hell, and the voice-acting was terrible.

Seriously. Take some time, search a little bit about these games, and...

...What are your thoughts?

Do you think they'll be a match against Playtonic Games Project Ukulele?
Last edited by John Enigma on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Dead Guy Perez

Re: Careful With Competition

Postby Dead Guy Perez » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:38 am

https://twitter.com/HatInTime/status/565533921405059072
https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/stat ... 2001850368

Even if you ignore the outright mutual approval, I really doubt there's going to be much of a "competitive" atmosphere between Playtonic and Gears for Breakfast, at the very least. It's in both of their favors if they both succeed. So...I'm really not sure I know what you're getting at here.
Alternately known as The D.G.P.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:40 am

If anything, they are in cahoots with each other. They need others doing something similar if they are to revive interest in these kinds of games after all.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:41 am

I'm extremely hyped for both Lobodestroyo and A Hate in Time, and FreezeMe looks cool too.
I'm ecstatic that we're getting all these new indie developed 3D platformers (including that weird "Spooky Poo's Happy Hell" game, which wasn't mentioned but looks rather intriguing), even though none of them can compare to the hype I'm feeling for Playtonic's new game.

A boom in popularity for the genre can only mean good things for everyone involved. I don't see any reason to feel competitive (except in the sense that everyone should be trying to put out the best game possible).

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:44 am

This is nothing close to a competition, this is a revival of a genre.

DKVineChad

Postby DKVineChad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:47 am

I'm one of the writers on Lobodestroyo, and I assure you everyone at Left Handed Games is absurdly excited to play (and back) Ukelele! The more modern entries in this genre, the better!

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 am

To everybody in particular, sorry I put the word "competition" in this post.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah, I'm excited for all of them. There's no competition, just more to love. I'm most excited for Ukulele and A Hat in Time.

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:12 am

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMasterDS

Re: Careful With Competish

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:08 am

The 3D Platformer can't come back off one game. Additionally it's important to note that each of those games is going for slightly different angles. Hat in Time pulls a lot from Mario/Zelda. Lobo is very Banjo with a big focus on personality. FreezeMe looks to pull a ton from Mario Galaxy putting a lot of emphasis on getting from A to B and odd gravity stuff. And, finally, Clive N Wrench doesn't look interesting. He should've probably come up with an elevator pitch for his game before putting it on Kickstarter. I would if I were making and kickstarting a 3D Platformer. It'd be "Banjo-Kazooie meets Sneak King." It'd be about a Polar Bear who's a mascot for a cola product, you'd pacify enemies by giving them cola, and it'd have a world that was party snowy forest part Target. People should set video games in Targets/Best Buys/etc. I'm super tired of there being no suburban settings in video games. Anyway I digress.

All of these look to different influences and are trying to do different stuff. There's lots of room for more platformers! Personally I'm wondering if anyone will make a Sonic Adventure 2 type indie platformer with a bomb ass soundtrack with the dumbest rap you can imagine and really solid ska/rock/grunge/honestly don't know.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:20 am

Genre Veterans vs. Newcomers. There's no need to worry. Project Ukulele will inspire others to make even better games.

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:13 am

aside from the general friendliness with Playtonic Dead Guy Perez mentioned, and Grant Kirkhope also composing some music for it. I wouldn't really consider A Hat In Time to be like Rareware's stuff, i've played the beta, and it really feels closer to something like Super Mario 64 than Banjo-Kazooie. As for the other games, i'm not really interested in any of them aside from FreezeMe, and i feel like they can exist without having to "compete" with Project Ukulele. In fact, every single one of them started development before Project Ukulele was re-announced.

Marcus_Siactro

Postby Marcus_Siactro » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:03 am

Well there may be Competition at some later date but right now we basically "need" every 3D Platformer we can get in order to make the genre big again. In fact I would be really glad if we had even more of those games coming up so it will be like in the good old days, you know? :)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:51 am

Taylonic Ltd.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Between all of the games that I mentioned in the list of this post, I'm more excited for the first three: A Hat In Time, FreezeMe, and Lobodestroyo. They look fun.

And of course, some guy here also mentioned of another 3D platformer called Spooky Poo's Happy Hell. Does anybody know what is about?

Also, do any of you know any other 3D platformer that might be in wip?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Polygonzo

Postby Polygonzo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:38 pm

Hullo, I'm the chap behind "Happy Hell". It's great seeing 3D platformers by the people who played the old classics when they were kids! I'm also glad to see that most are going for their own vibe, not just aping Rare (except for Clive 'n' Wrench which didn't seem to offer anything new and unfortunately suffered for it). A Hat in Time doesn't do much for me personally, but FreezeME's gameplay looks very polished indeed.

Excluding Happy Hell ;p I am most excited about Ukulele for sure! The Playtonic guys have the chops and also their hearts are in the right place. I hope the nostalgic expectations of their fans don't turn on them and they can make whatever they want. Also they were kind enough to share Happy Hell on their Facebook page! *swoon*

If you'd like to know more about Happy Hell, the Steam Greenlight page is as good a place as any right now:

There's also the Kickstarter page and the Occultimate Games site where you can play the early prototype for PC.

Ok, I don't want to get too promotey here! Just thought I'd offer some info since Happy Hell was mentioned.

Long live 3D platforming adventures!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Do any of these games happen to be Wii U or 3DS titles? I think Hat in Time might be. Will be quickly glancing around for platform support on the internet.

Edit:
Hat in Time is not Wii U. Only Windows/OSX. That sucks. (Edit 2: Apparently they want to do Wii U, but have no confirmation for it.)
FreezeMe: Hard to find it on Bing, but one thread on a unity forum says the target hardware is Wii U, Steam, PC, Linux and MAC. (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/freeze ... er.196217/)
Lobodestroyo: Kickstarter image says it'll be on Wii U, Linux, Windows, OSX, Playstation, XBox, and ¿"OUYA"?
Clive 'N' Wrench: They targeted Windows, Linux, OSX, and Wii U. (But the kickstarter project says it was unsuccessful, so doubt it'll make it to Wii U.)
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:02 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Playtonic is in a different league altogether compared to those smaller indie companies. In fact, when the dust has settled and the Kickstarter for Project Ukulele has funded 4-5 million in total, they will then use that money to expand to a 15-20 sized team. In doing so, the other indie companies that make 3D platformers will have a very hard time to even compare to them in making the same quality games like Project Ukulele thanks to it's high budget, and a team of veteran developers working on it. So no, this is nothing close to a competition. Though if Double Fine decides to make a 3D platformer, Playtonic will have a serious competitor that can easily overmatch them in size and budget.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”