Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Meelow

Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby Meelow » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Banjo Kazooie: Mad Monster Mansion

Reason being is because I love Horror/Halloween themed levels so this was great!

Banjo Tooie:Witchy World

Like BK it had a Halloween element to it being more of a circus world made me love it even more.

And I'd say for Project Ukulele, maybe a mystery themed world? Something happens and the PU duo have to find out what happens and they get the pagies from helping people and clues.

What about you?

dotEXE

Re: Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:55 pm

This is a really hard pick. I'm going to ignore Part B because the "what theme do you want" has already been done and I don't really have a solid answer besides "uh, everything".

My favorite world from Banjo Kazooie was Freezeezy Peaks I think (man I can't even decide for certain).
It's extremely charming, it's got Wozza and Boggy who were adorable, you get the Beak Bomb move here. The famous ICE KEY is in this level. And that song... it's so catchy and joyful. Granted all of the music in this game is just really, really great... but this theme just makes me want to dance a bit.

My favorite level in Banjo Tooie is Jolly Roger's Lagoon I think. Which is weird to say because I don't particularly love all the swimming. But the world is designed very well. All of the various underwater temples are interesting and worth exploring, the town is done very well, the pub is 110% hilarious all around. The shop is fun, the temporary dubloon currency was entertaining. I guess that while it wasn't mechanically that great, the level design for me was just so neat. I'm a sucker for nautical anything though. And Atlantis/Mythology/Cthulhu mythos... I may be an old sea captain reincarnated.
Make the forum great again.

BadElf

Re: Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby BadElf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Very tough decision.
One that comes to mind for BK is Treasure Trove Cove. Just beautiful all around. Music, enemies(shark!)and the whole set up in general. But that's with all the levels really!

Then Banjo Tooie, maybe Terrydactyland ? Beautiful level. Glitter Glutch Mine was pretty cool too. Those enemies that popped out of the ground were awesome.
Again...what a tough, tough decision.

One I can say I had an issue with...GRUNTY INDUSTRIES. Man...that was TOUGH.

Most wanted PU level. Well, I would be very upset to miss out on all types of levels. So..everything.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:57 pm

I'd say Freezeasy Peak; the music was amazing, the jiggy locations were interesting, Wozza's Cave and the snowman provided a nice change of scenery, and the only flaw I can find with the level is that you need the running shoes from GV to get the last Bogey jiggy.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:04 am

Tooie, I can't say I have a favorite. I never got to play it and only got to watch a video of someone playing at it as if he was new to the game, so you got to go around the map not using glitches or speeding over text like you see experienced players doing. So I'll refrain from picking a favorite in Tooie.

But, I can say that I really liked Freezeezy Peak as a kid. Gobi's Valley was a great one too - I loved going through the timed maze - such an adrenaline rush. Those two were my favorite levels to run around on. I really liked Treasure Trove Cove too. Ooh, but there was also Bubblegloop Swamp that I know I spent a ton of time playing. If I had to choose just one, I'd make it Freezeezy.

As for the themed world I want in Ukulele, I want to see a forest world.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 am

Grunty Industries. Man, that level is awesome and amazingly well designed. Backtracking is that good I felt I was playing Metroid. It was amazing to play it for the first time. Hope they do a level like that.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:08 am

So hard to pick as every level works well when ordered together, but I'll say Click Clock Wood and Cloud Cuckooland are amazing; I want the last level of Ukulele to be magical/special like these.

Witchy World gets an honourable mention too. Everything about it from design to music was awesome.
Taylonic Ltd.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:10 am

BK: Treasure Trove Cove: This world feels like a relaxing place, it is colorful and pretty much peaceful (except for Snaker, of course)

BT: Witchyworld; I loved the theme park idea, although I think there is little Playtonic could add to Witchyworld in order to do their own theme park world.

What I'd love to see in Project Ukulele is a zoo world; Witchyworld technically had the Haunted Cave, but I'm talking about a serious enourmous place with all kinds of animals and beasts. Also, some kind of alien world (we had Terrarium of Terror in N&B, but IMO that world sucked), with a lot of science-fiction stuff.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 am

Banjo-kazooie Click Clock Wood was just awesome, the music was great and how it had 4 seasons to keep revisiting seeing characters age and change their habitats etc. Plenty risky platforming aswel which is always nice in a platformer.

Banjo-Tooie Terrydactyl Land. I like the eery music and again that there's a lot of high climbing platforming. The different tribes of cavemen are funny too. My favorite would be Jolly Rogers Lagoon if the main element wasn't swimming. I love exploring the town, i love the characters in the town, i like the towns music but absolutely HATE all the underwater parts of the level. If it was evened out a bit with an expanded town to explore and less time spent underwater then this would be the best level.

In the new game i'd like areas to be included that the protagonists would come across in the real world rather than your typical snow level and lava level etc
few examples
-Waste Disposal Land (tip/dump to us brits)
-Busy Town Centre with traffic
-Sewage Waste Plant
-A Humans House (This could be where the protag escapes from to start his adventure)
-A Farm
-A Graveyard
-An abandoned warehouse
-Mountains
EDIT just seen the post above, A Zoo is a good shout, maybe a zoo at night time, no humans but lots of roaming animals, some caged some free, some nasty some nice.
what do you think?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:25 pm

I'd like to see another level similar to Grunty Industries now that I've thought about it more. Maybe just laid out a bit better, but I liked all the various industrial environments it had. The coal furnace, the laundry, the waste disposal, etc. It really captured a lot of different themes/regions in a single level.
Make the forum great again.

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:10 pm

BK - Click Clock Wood
BT - Terrydactyland
I like all BK worlds better than my favorite BT world though. >.>

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:56 pm

No terribly unpredictable answers here, but I'll toss in my two cents on the off-chance the guys at Playtonic are reading for a consensus agreement:

Banjo-Kazooie: Freezeezy Peak - While there are other levels that do a great job of immersing you in the world, like Treasure Trove Cove and Mad Monster Mansion, Freezeezy Peak made you feel like every objective was like opening a Christmas present. They took full advantage of all the world assets and truly gave life to that world. The others feel a bit empty in comparison.

Banjo-Tooie: Witchy World - Honestly, I feel like this choice is comparable in a lot of ways to Freezeezy Peak. Both have unmistakable themes and a highly engrossing atmosphere. The objectives are all very different, and you actually feel like you're in a theme park that's waiting to be explored... It's basically like the what Banjoland in Nuts n' Bolts was supposed to feel like.

Most Wanted Theme in Project Ukulele: Scary World - While I love me some snow levels, I sometimes feel they can be hit or miss. Even HailFire Peak's icy side, you have to admit, was a bit boring... but scary worlds are probably the most satisfying for me to explore, and there's usually a lot more effort put into those, perfecting tropes and really trying to sell you on the atmosphere.

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:14 pm

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Holy crap biscuits! I friend told me some of the original creators of the BK series were working on a spiritual successor! So excited!

My favorite world from BK was ...crap its hard to decide! Probably Freezeezy Peak! It felt like xmas as a kid.

My favorite BT world was Glitter Gulch Mine. I thought the theme was amazing and the world was well detailed the only downside was the back and forth transformations as a kid. But the warp pads helped with that alot.

I would love to see some sort of Farm world for Ukulele, perhaps in some sort of saturated beautiful green valley. I'm excited that these worlds will feel more alive, with characters doing their daily tasks.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:40 pm

In Banjo-Kazooie: Click Clock Wood because it was a really special world and I really loved to climb up the giant tree in four different ways. But the thing which I really loved was the feeling of the world.

In Banjo-Tooie: Witchyworld because I was a world which is fun to explore and feels like yourself in a virtual theme park. The only contras for me was the fact that there was no big wheel and no rollercoaster/watercoaster, love tunnel or a firing range which is allways presented in cartoons like rockos modern life. In Bully there was a great theme park which you could enter anytime and you could drive on any attraction.

It was a hard decision because I love every single world in both games.
Since there was no Banjo-Kazooie successor I allways imagined how the worlds could look like if there would a successor. So the most wanted themes for me are these:

- A WORLD BASED ON TOILET HUMOUR:
Every Banjo-Kazzoie game had some toilet humour (loggo in mad monster mansion where you need to be flushed as a pumpkin in order to get a jiggy or the workers in grunty industries) so why not a whole world based on those humour because this humor is also spreaded all over some other rare games especially Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mr.Pants and even Battletoads Arcade.
How about a world in which the characters are as big as a mice and travel trough a giant bathroom with a giant bathtub which have pipes which are connectet with a sink, a washing machine and a toilet and the player must dive and travel through those pipes (like in clankers cavern) to reach those other areas ... and the world is inhabitet by rubber ducks and soap with google eyes.I could imagine a world like this could a spiritual successor to clankers cavern. It would have some water diving parts but mostly platforming parts that required some skills (click clock wood like). If this idea could be made by the playtonic team I could imagine it would really fit in a banjo kazzoie spiritual successor and would be also an very creative and unique world. The worlds name could be like "Bathtub Pipe/Tube* Maze" which sounds really like a BK world. The bathtub could be like a public swimming pool for the rubber ducks which are getting in trouble with the soap guys because they are getting burning eyes through the soapy water and the Ukulele main characters need to do tasks for both of them or maybe the soap guys could be the baddys in this world or there could be a task where you need to flush the toilet for rats in plumber suits, but first you need to dive in to the toilet and find out why the toilet is blocked (maybe a fight against limestone golems which used the toilet pipe as a waterslide and get stucked), and the boss fight could be a urinal deodorizer block with googly eyes and stuff like that, or the player must collect underpants and socks to feed a hungry washing machine. I dont know but I think it would fit really good in to Project Ukulele as a spiritual successor to BK, because this world have just so many things which have to do with BK. The entrance could be a giant drain in a sink and the entrance surroundings should be made out of ceramic white and blue bathroom tiles like the world himself. There could be also puzzles like in the Wet-and-Dry World from Super Mario 64 or the Water Temple from Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time where you need to fill and sink the bathtub in order to reach specific areas. Bathrooms are places where people take time in silence and mostly are comfortable and thats the reason why I think it would be a great world if I imagine Playtonic Games would make this with the old rareware charm, because it pays some tribute to the previous rareware games with toilet humour and also to Clankers Cavern with all those waterpipes. The outside world would be in blue and white ceramic tiles and inside the bathroom furniture and pipes it would have these rusty feeling like in Clankers Cavern. I think it would be a great theme for a water world. *With the Tube word instead of pipe it would more sound like Treasure Trove Cove from the syllables.

Hell Raider

Postby Hell Raider » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Witchyworld! Loved the creapyness of the whole thing, the music, the whole twisted circus/amusement park set up, battle against patchy, the on-rail shooter mini-game, it was just overall fantastic!

I'd love to see an Australia world (as an Australian), bad accents, crocks, koalas, and kangaroos as characters... just imagine a cartoon caricature of Crocodile Dundee lopping around like the sailors from Rusty Bucket Bay, and when they see you they go "G'day~" and start chasing you with a boomerang!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:30 am

Taylonic Ltd.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:32 am

Always loved Terrydactyland! The little t-rex was adorable and reminded me of little Sharp Tooth from The Land Before Time.

Mad Monster Mansion for Banjo Kazooie. Halloween was always my favourite holiday as a kid, so I loved the "scary" theme of the level.

As for new themes, I like that candy idea BadElf mentioned. The candy track in MK8 is my favourite.

Well, I'm at 64 posts now. Time to disappear again...

Chruxl

Postby Chruxl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:48 pm

BK- Spiral Mountain. This was the beginning. It promised so much, and delivered. I remember playing the demo of Spiral Mountain in Wal-Mart when I was 10 and thinking, "Wow, I could just explore!" And a fire was kindled. The music was lovely, the scenery was beautiful, and dialogue with Bottles was very funny.

BT- This one was tough, but I guess I'll go with Grunty Industries. It was massive for a five story building. There were tons of nooks and crannies to dig into. Heck, even getting inside was an adventure.

PU- This is perhaps a bit of an obvious idea with Pagies opening worlds, but I'd love to see a Mother Goose world. It could be full of Fairy Tale and Nursery Rhyme characters (in the public domain). Expanding the world could unlock various areas. First there could be a village with an old lady in a shoe, Mother Hubbard, Jack (who is both nimble, and is to sell a cow). Expanding once could grow Jack's beanstalk, letting you climb to a giant's lair. Twice could unlock an encounter with a troll guarding a bridge leading into a forest populated with Goldilocks and/or Red Riding Hood and company, for example.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”