Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TheMasterDS

Re: Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:11 am

B-K: Freezeezy Peak. It's the Xmas level! It's the perfect stage you can point at if you want to shame people for preferring Mario 64. You just say "Mario's got two snow levels, one with the shed and the other with the snowman. Banjo's got one snow level with Xmas Trees, Xmas lights a Snowman, evil Snowmen, a giant scarf, a Xenophobic Walrus, a Deadbeat Dad Whose Not Got His Kids Presents (literally the plot of Jingle All The Way), giant Xmas presents, sledding, an igloo, happy little cottages and talking icicles who warn you about how cold the water is. Banjo levels are STUFFED with atmosphere and detail. They're rich and full of life! Freezeezy Peak is the easiest example of it.

B-T: Cloud Cuckooland. I like how it's a random mash up of random stuff in the sky. I also like how there's no backtracking needed for anything within the level, real nice that. Not that I have a problem with backtracking, but after a whole game of it Cuckooland always came as a nice relief.

Project Ukulele: Hmm. Well if you asked ME what worlds I wanted to see in a collectathon I'd say "How about a Target world" but I imagine PlayTonic wouldn't do that because they're in the UK and might not have Targets. It's a retail outlet that sells everything! Like a Walmart only moderately classier. You know what Walmart is, right? They're apparently called "ASDA" in the UK.

Scrubber

Re: Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:55 am

Yeah Walmart is Asda over here. We also have Tesco Sainsburys Morrison's Aldi but to avoid copyright/product placement problems a generic none branded Supermarket level would be better.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:27 am

I really love the supermarket idea. A random fastfood restaurant would be also really cool, I loved the Duke Burger levels in Duke Nukem and another cool idea would be a hotel with 5 floors set on a polluted beach.Some tropical areas outside and much to explore inside the hotel building. Outside in the water could also be a ship cruiser like the ones from aida and of course the duo can enter it and explore.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:22 pm

None of that sounds very storybook at all.
Make the forum great again.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Another most wanted world theme for me:

- A LOW BUDGET B-MOVIE/TRASH CINEMA WORLD:
Could you imagine a world set in a cinema designed with popcorn/moviereels and all that stuff and with three cinema halls and each hall has got his own theme but all are kinda like low budget b-movie horror films. The main characters must watch to the screen with 3-d glasses to get warped in to the running trash movie (similar to witchyworld with the three different themes inside the park or click clock wood where you have 4 different entraces to all the seasons). The first cinema hall could have a movie which is set on a farm surrounded by trailerparks and swamps and of course with cow abducting aliens and the second cinema hall could have a movie set in a shopping mall with zombies. The third and last cinema hall could have a movie set in the 1950s with an area where you must climb up an giant art deco styled skyscraper with an angry primate at the top(boss fight). All these movies are references to old trash/b-movies. So this world is splittet up in to 3 main areas (cinema, first movie and the second movie because the last one is only a boss fight).
The tasks to get pagies would be like fighting against sweet corn in a popcorn machine(subworld) to make popcorn out of them and bring the popcorn to some sort of kids like in witchyworld to get a pagie or to find movie reels to make the movies accessable areas. Low Budget and B-Movie because all those darker types of worlds in bk allways a little bit messed up like a polluted factory building, a rundown themepark or a oil-polluted harbor with an rusty old ship.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Who wants to read a story about going to Target though? I do that twice a week. Stories should be fanciful. Rusty Bucket Bay isn't like Target just because it had industrial overtones.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Might as well make a story about a factory world where you actually need to work at a mundane job to progress through the level, like in Super Paper Mario.

Alliusis

Postby Alliusis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:21 pm

BK: Bubblegloop Swamp and Rusty Bucket Bay. Then CCW and Clanker's Cavern and TTC
BT: Hailfire peaks

Theme? Industrial, like Clanker and RBB and Grunty's Industries (and Frantic Factory from DK64) have always been the most fascinating/stuck out the most for me, but the jungle/forest themed ones are usually the most fun to play. I'm more interested in seeing a really well-done desert level though.

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 pm

I've got to say that one of my favourite worlds in BT was Witchyworld, but the world I'd love to see most of all in a future title, or even a similar idea, would need to be Treasure Trove Cove. Such a wide area with so many potential deathtraps, and a huge flying area to mess around in whether you're trying to complete the many objectives, or just mess about...

... oh, and the game pak erasing secret room of amazing(ly fatal) power!
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:46 am

Well it's one thing to include a world-specific shop in the game, it's another to basically put a Target or Walmart as an entire world in the game. One is charming and interesting and the other is just... odd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:32 am

Agree! The Jolly Roger pawn shop was cute, so was the jet ski shop. A supermarket doesn't really carry the same vibe. I guess like anything else it depends on execution.

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 am

How would you feel about Best Buy?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am

The shop idea isn't a bad one, but it would be hard to execute well. Most large shops are in aisles; the design is extremely repetitive and boring. However, I can easily picture a toy shop being in a game. It'd be like Al's Toy Barn from Toy Story. The enemies would be toys etc.

With that said, there was already a toy factory level in DK64.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:42 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:17 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:23 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:59 pm

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”