Project Ukulele Console-Exclusives?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Should Project Ukulele have console-exclusive characters?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 58

John Enigma

Project Ukulele Console-Exclusives?

Postby John Enigma » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:04 pm

I think that, since Project Ukulele is gonna be a multiplatform game eventually, it would be cool if the game had console-exclusive characters a la Yacht Club's Shovel Knight, in which it will eventually release to the other consoles.

Here are my ideas for console-exclusive characters to appear in Project Ukulele:

1. Nintendo WiiU/NEW Nintendo 3DS (XL): Donkey Kong and any/all of the gang from the Donkey Kong Country series, Donkey Kong 64, and the new versions of the Donkey Kong Country series (Returns, and Tropical Freeze).

2. XBOX One/PC (Desktop & Laptop): Banjo and Kazooie, and any/all of the Rare characters.

3. PlayStation 4/PlayStation Vita: (Considering that Activision still owns the rights of) Crash Bandicoot and Co. (and Activision is doing absolutely nothing with the series, it would be nice if Playtonic Games spoke/negotiated to Activision if they could give Crash a comeback.) Or Ratchet & Clank. Or Jak & Daxter, because they haven't appeared in so many years!
Last edited by John Enigma on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Taylor

Re: Project Ukulele Console-Exclusives?

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 pm

I'd obviously want Banjo to feature in it if he could, which means it'd probably have to be an Xbox exclusive. But in principle, I don't like the idea of exclusives; it limits the experience for those that don't own that console...

Also, I'd be really annoyed if the game gets Amiibo support exclusive to the Wii U. I.e. a Mario Amiibo unlocking a Mario hat. I don't own Amiibos and I don't wish to buy them. The only Amiibo feature I think would be cool is a proper Ukulele duo figurine, but I doubt Playtonic would be allowed to produce one.

I'm not going to vote in the poll because I'm torn.
Taylonic Ltd.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Last edited by John Enigma on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Yes! I'd love a Banjo-Cameo in a spiritual successor. I'd love a DK cameo in a ninty version too.

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Voted no. I don't want to see stuff that don't belongs there in the game. And I don't see what exclusive content would be except stuff that don't belong to the Ukulele universe.

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

I voted no.

I don't like the idea of console-exclusive content in games in general, and I don't really think there's any good way they could implement any sort of console-exclusive content in a game like this, even if it's just limited to a brief cameo appearance of a popular character tied in some way to the system the game's being played on.

Right now, I would much rather see this game and its cast of characters stand alone and establish a franchise before we start thinking of bringing characters from other franchises into this one (even if just for cameo appearances).

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Nah, not a huge fan of console exclusive content in multi-platform games. It's better for everyone to have access to the same experience.

Alph

Postby Alph » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:23 pm

I think console exclusives are fine as long as it's content we wouldn't be able to get AT ALL otherwise. It's better to have content exist than to not have it exist, even if you can't play it right away.

In this case the only console exclusive content I particularly care about is Banjo-Kazooie in the X-box version. It would make so much sense and it would just be a really awesome bonus.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:20 am

I HATE with a passion console-exclusivities in a multiplatform game unless there is a hardware limitation like the Wii U's touch screen controls or the Vita's (??) backside touchpad or the One making use of smartphones and other devices in the room for extra screens.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Alph

Postby Alph » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:41 am

Why do some people hate it so much? It takes nothing away from the base game since the console manufacturer would be paying extra to have that content. It's literally just extra content that you would not have at all otherwise, and you would not get anything in its place otherwise.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:32 am

Alph

Postby Alph » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:19 am

I don't understand the concept of a "complete" game.

Let's say a game is released with a fixed amount of content. No add-ons. No DLC. No console exclusive stuff. In other words, a "complete" game.

Now let's say there is an alternate timeline in which that exact same game is released with that exact same content, except you also have the option of buying DLC for it or the option of getting console exclusive content. Now it is "incomplete", despite having the exact same amount of content in the base package and even MORE content in the total package.

That's why I don't understand it. I think the concept of "completeness" is mostly a psychological thing. People think a game is incomplete simply because there is more than just the base package, even though the base package usually provides just as much content, if not more, than the "complete" games of the nineties (which, to be perfectly fair, were usually pretty short).

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:42 am

I love the way Shovel Knight did it (despite buying it for Wii U), but I'm not sure about it here.

Of course, it COULD take the exclusives to make gamers buy the console, let alone the game, but I don't own an Xbox one. I wouldn't buy it for exclusives (cameos or not).

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”