Game Scale

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
LiverpoolFC

Game Scale

Postby LiverpoolFC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:55 pm

What do you guys think the scale of the game should be? I mean this both in terms of size, and length (lol). I would like the game to be long. Nowadays there are games that cost $60, but only have 4-6 hours of gameplay and you feel like you didn't get your money's worth. On the other hand there are games that take days or weeks to beat that really tire you out, they make finishing a game feel like a chore instead of fun. I want a long game that doesn't drag. When I was a kid playing Banjo Kazooie with my family the game took some time to beat, but finishing it was so satisfying. Getting all the Jiggies (even the propeller one in Rusty Bucket Bay) and all the notes, and beating Grunty felt like a huge accomplishment. That's what I want. Nowadays by the time a beat a game I'm like, "Finally...it's over" lol. As for the size of the hub world, levels, etc. I don't want it to be that big. I mean obviously it has to be big enough to go with the length of the game, but I don't want giant empty areas. I love Banjo Tooie, but there were a lot of times where I felt certain areas had no purpose and were big just for the sake of being big. For example Jolly Roger Lagoon was a pretty big underwater area, and a lot of it was empty. It just felt time consuming, especially when you have to swim everywhere. I think Banjo Kazooie nailed the size perfectly. All the worlds were big enough that you had lots to explore, but not too big that it was a chore (unintentional rhyming lol). My least favorite thing in a game is taking the time to explore an area just to realize that there's nothing in it you know? So to summarize I want a fairly long game, with fairly big worlds, but I want the areas to have purpose, not just be there for the sake of it. Thoughts?

Shawnsim

Re: Game Scale

Postby Shawnsim » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 pm

I agree with all of the above.

Hoping for a 40-60 hour game.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Size is everything. I'm not sure about specifics, but I want it as long and big as possible.

:roll:

I should also add that I agree with what you're saying about unnecessary expanses filled with nothing. I think the game should be designed in the same way dialogue in films is written: if it doesn't move the story along, cut it out. If there's nothing happening in a large area of the game, make it smaller. One of the things I hated about Nuts & Bolts was that the levels were totally empty with 'challenges' sparsely spattered around...

I think 12 levels would be the maximum. Although I think bigger is better, there are only so many ideas you can run through before the game will become stale and repetitive. Save some ideas for the sequel.
Taylonic Ltd.

Tidus1117

Postby Tidus1117 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:09 pm

8 Expandable worlds should keep us busy for some time, plus having areas to explore and secrets to unfold. Then they can start with the sequels!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:15 pm

8-12 expandable worlds, and I'm really leaning on the 8-10 side. Hoping for about 90 pagies and 900 note-equivalents. I hope I get 40-60 hours of play total but I hope a single playthrough is not 40-60 hours. 20 tops is really what I think a 3D platformer is worth in terms of not overstaying its welcome, not dragging on, not being absolutely flooded with nonsense collectables, etc.

A 40 hour platformer of nothing but platforming and collecting is way too big. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

I think if worlds start near Banjo-Kazooie sized and expand to equal-or-a-little-more-than Banjo Tooie sized that'd be good. Banjo Kazooie's worlds are tiny. I really preferred BT, even if some of the areas are just for looking at.
Make the forum great again.

Preston

Postby Preston » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

I would like 10-12 worlds for 110-130 paggies, (10 being in the hub world.) I would prefer the worlds be starting at the size between BK and BT and eventually get expanded to same or a bit bigger than tooie sized worlds. And I want the game to be as long as possible without having too much repetition and being stale. So probably about a bit longer than banjo tooie game time.

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:53 pm

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I'd like for the game to play at about the same pace as Banjo Kazooie. That felt pretty good to me.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:09 pm

LiverpoolFC

Postby LiverpoolFC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:17 pm

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:25 pm

I want it Banjo-Tooie big.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:14 pm

karashata

Postby karashata » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:46 am

I would be quite content with a game that would take me anywhere from 10 to 20 hours to complete 100%, that time of course being dependent on how quickly I might solve any puzzles that might show up in the game and how many collectibles might be hidden well enough for me to continually miss them until I catch on that I'm not exploring every inch of each level as well as I should be.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 am

It's a tricky business to find a good medium - I want the game to be long enough to really have some meat to it, but not so long that subsequent playthroughs are a chore. Hopefully with the option to expand levels in essentially any order we want we'll have enough variation to make multiple runs interesting.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

polomi

Postby polomi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:43 am

I usually say that I like smaller sized levels like in Banjo-Kazooie. However, I think that it's not because they're smaller, that's just a correlation. The true reason is that the content density is higher. There's more stuff to do per unit area. In Banjo-Tooie the levels were much bigger but felt empty. It was big just for the sake of it, it made travel times longer, it was pointless.

In Project Ukulele, I would love the best of both games. Huge worlds, but with a high content density!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”