Question regarding World Size and connection between them.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
GameFreak

Question regarding World Size and connection between them.

Postby GameFreak » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:22 pm

I have a question regarding the world size. Will it be small like in BK? Bigger like in Tooie? Or HUGE like in Nuts and Bolts? Because the team working on this game is a N64 sized team, I'm guessing at least Tooie. Also, will the worlds connect with each other like in Tooie? Like, can I access another world from within one?

Taylor

Re: Question regarding World Size and connection between them.

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:27 pm

The simple answer is that we just don't know. However, Playtonic have said that they want to scale everything up and make the best game they've ever made. We also know that worlds will expand in size. Other than that, nothing's been confirmed.
Taylonic Ltd.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:35 am

At the Rezzed showcase thing, one of the audience questions was something to the effect of "Have you guys learned from DK64's over-emphasis on having thousands and thousands of collectables?"

They laughed it off a bit, but they did eventually let on that they planned on not letting Ukulele fall into the same pitfalls that they recognized their former games fell in.

From this, I can kind of assume that the worlds won't be quite as labyrinthine as Tooie's as that was an almost universally panned thing about an otherwise critically acclaimed game.

Or at least Ukulele's worlds won't be as large immediately because they let on that the worlds will somehow expand as you play.
Last edited by MFWolfe on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:50 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:04 pm

I thought the huge worlds in Tooie were pretty fun to explore. If the problem was them being too "labyrinthine", maybe that world expansion mechanic will be a good way to cope with this problem, actually. For example, you'd start in a world with the same size as a world from the first Banjo-Kazooie game. Then you explore it thoroughly and get well-acquainted with that world, so when you collect enough items to expand it, you're already pretty familiar with the world, so it's easier to get used to that expansion. So, I think that might be a nice way to have large worlds while avoiding having the player get lost.

LiverpoolFC

Postby LiverpoolFC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm all for big worlds (as long as they aren't empty), but it can lead to the "labyrinthine" problem. I think most of the Tooie levels did a good job at being big, but not confusing. But take Grunty's Industries...that is the definition of a labyrinth. Also backtracking becomes more of a pain when worlds are bigger. Just as long as there's a good balance of currently do-able missions, and missions that you'll need to come back to do. I think one example of too much backtracking is in Terrydactlyland; the Styracosaurus mission where you have to help all of the Momma Styracosaurus' children out. One of them is in Witchyworld, and you need the train to get it to Terrydactyland. The other 2 are already there and just need Mumbo to heal them. However he can only help one inside the cave and the other you have to use your backpack and the train to bring back to the Train Station in the hub world and then have Mumbo heal it there.....all for one Jiggy lol. I think stuff like that is a little excessive. They just have to find that nice medium.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am

LiverpoolFC

Postby LiverpoolFC » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 am

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:30 am

Oh, gotcha. The Mumbo pad is a great point. Someone mentioned either on here or the DKvine forum that they felt that Tooie suffered because of some checklist it had that BK didn't adhear to. Every level HAD to have a Mumbo hut, Humba Wumba, ect. Getting rid of that is the fix, I think.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:24 pm

I'd rather have a Tooie size game that takes ages to complete than a kazooie size game that can be completed on the same day as buying it. Tooie was great, it's DK64 when things became tedious.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:56 pm

I think Tooie did a good job with the backtracking tasks, the only thing which bothered me was that it took so long because of the cutscenes. If they would be skippable the completion of the tasks would be much faster. i mean when you play the game for the first time its okay but after that you allready now the cutscenes so there should be the option to skip them I mean its boring to see how chuffy moves on or halts.

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm honestly hoping for a least Tooie sized worlds. I know they can get annoying at time and confusing...AHEM GRUNTY INDESTRIES...but I still loved exploring them! Felt like a true adventure.

theballaam96

Postby theballaam96 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 pm

I don't think it should be too labyrinthine. Grunty's Industries was a pain in the neck, it was practially Mumbo's Mountain x3 or 4 in terms of size, and that got pretty annoying.
However, Big=/=Labyrithine

With the expanding world mechanic, I think that having something the size of Witchyworld could be pretty fun. Yeah, sure, it's big, but as you become familiar with the main area, and are able to expand that world by about 25%, it becomes a bit easier to digest as you are taking on the world bit by bit, already knowing part of the layout.

Honestly, as long as they don't make it too empty, or have insane amount of collectables, then I'm OK with that. I think Tooie got it about 60-70% right in terms of level size. It went slightly overboard with backtracking.

I just don't want Project Ukelele to be a game I pick up on the day of launch, play it for about 3-4 hours, and then enter the final boss/level. I want it to take time, to feel like I've got a sufficient game worth the money I spent, but not so much time like DK64. So somewhere around the 30-50 hour mark in terms of first-time playing would be grand in my opinion

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:13 am

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 am

Yeah. I would much rather have Tooie sized adventures. With the tech they have now, it will just be phenomenal to explore

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm hoping for Tooie-sized worlds or bigger. At least once the worlds are expanded with their new world-expansion mechanic. I loved all the interconnectivity.
Make the forum great again.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm

The majority of pagies locations should be at most one minute from another. I don't mean it should be possible to actually get a pagie every minute, but instead to mean that at worst it should take 10 minutes (assuming there are 10 pagies to collect) to explore the entire world in a general sense.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

dream09

Postby dream09 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 pm

I think the worlds should not be too big as the PC may not be able to hold it. If possible I think the worlds would start banjo-kazooie size. Then you could expand it till it reached banjo-tooie size. But only if the PC can handle it.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Make the forum great again.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”