Tooie Before Kazooie?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
travisschultz95

Tooie Before Kazooie?

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Did anyone else have this experience? (Warning-Long Retrospective)
I remember when I was a youngin' making my mom take me to Wal-Mart so I could buy Pokemon Stadium with my christmas money (man was that game a disappointment...)and they had some BOGO deal, and they told me to pick another game for free. Being a small child pre-Nintendo Power subscription I freaked out, and obviously went for the one with colorful animals on the cover and a silly name, so I took home Banjo-Tooie and it instantly became my favorite game. The funny jokes, the silly animals, all the colors and music, it was amazing! Once I became old enough to use the internet though, everything changed...
There was ANOTHER Banjo-Tooie game?!
Oh, its Tooie, because two, and the other game is the first one. I was so excited to pop that in my Nintendo, but when it finally arrived... I was...well disappointed.
The graphics were muddier (Mumbo scared the hell out of me), everything was darker, the controls were stiffer (WHAT did they do to the roll attack?!) and the worlds where much smaller and more difficult. What happened to all my moves? Were's JamJars? Only five Jinjo colors? What the hell is a Tooty?! Why do the talking heads near the dialogue look nothing like some of the in game models?! Why is Gruntilda Green?! There are LIVES?! and by far, worst of all, if I die or make one little mistake I LOOSE ALL MY NOTES. I was a dumb kid! I died all time time! This game upset me, I felt betrayed. Kazooie had nothing on Tooie, and anyone who said otherwise was wrong.

But then I got older...
As a teenager I was getting to cravings again. I had a GameCube, but that darn Chao Garden was not filling my platforming needs. I decided to give Kazooie another chance (Seeing how at the time, EVERYONE on the internet insisted it was better) and then go right into Tooie. I was older and understood more about game design and entertainment. I was impressed at how intuitive Kazooie was. I could go into a level, and get everything I needed, then leave. While I missed some of returning to worlds and the interconnectivity, this just felt like a more streamlined and natural experience. I loved it, it was great! I could't wait to go straight into Tooie! But things were not how I remembered...So much of that time is spent walking back and forth, and this is a real problem in the bigger worlds, ESPECIALLY when Mumbo is involved. His gameplay boils down to: walk to a place, press A, leave. Yes the Warp pads helped, but it felt frustrating and tedious! And worst of all, the framerate, this game slowdown almost 90% of the time (which is extremely noticeable even in small instances due to the off rhythm Talon Trot)This was not my beautiful game! What was real? Which was better?

Then I was an adult and played them both on XBLA. Didn't care about any of that old stuff. They were fun, both masterpieces, equally amazing.

TDLR Played wrong order questioned life and in the end none of it mattered

GameFreak

Re: Tooie Before Kazooie?

Postby GameFreak » Wed May 06, 2015 10:50 am

Lol funny experience. I'm glad in the end, you enjoyed both games. They truly are masterpieces and should never be forgotten!

rardk64

Postby rardk64 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:07 pm

I agree. Banjo-Kazooie holds up incredibly well, Banjo-Tooie had a BIT too much going on, but I LOVED that you could be Mumbo anyway so it's hard to complain...

Don't get me wrong, anyway - Banjo-Tooie is solid. But there's a bit of tedium due to just how big it was. Same with DK64, it's been said a number of times. They're still amazing games. But Banjo-Kazooie is perfect.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed May 06, 2015 9:29 pm

I would go as far as saying that I prefer Banjo-Tooie. I just love the darker humor & 4th wall breaking, the bigger story, these big worlds, splitting up, Mumbo, interconnectivity & these neat connections to the first title... it felt like a huge adventure that builds upon Banjo-Kazooie!

But in any way, playing in the chronological order is the way to go :mrgreen:

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:04 am

Yeah, I think a little variety would have went a long way, giving Mumbo some more movies or a minigame for his pads instead of just pressing a button, like the Bonus Barrels in DK64.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu May 07, 2015 9:37 am

lupaie

Postby lupaie » Thu May 07, 2015 1:33 pm

I loved the smaller levels of BK and you could easily remember everything and do speedruns. I just did not have that with Tooie. Its levels were to big and complex.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

lupaie

Postby lupaie » Thu May 07, 2015 6:21 pm

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sat May 09, 2015 10:24 am

Tooie doesn't have a lives system? Interesting.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:41 pm

GlaceStar244

Postby GlaceStar244 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Well, both are indeed masterpieces but i prefer Tooie way more, but i see your point... I wasn't expecting BK to became better and it did on BT

Although... If there's something that could have been better for BT is having BK's Levels is absolutely not related to topic, but i would have loved that sincerely.... A rumor (not rumor at all actually with the original intended stop n' swoop mechanics...) said that Tooie was a game for the 64HDD for BK's Cartridge on, so this means that this might almost happened, which is a shame :/

Return to “Past Glories”