That one Rare title you hate?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Enrel

That one Rare title you hate?

Postby Enrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Let's be honest! As much as we all love Rare there is at least one game they've made that you just cannot stand. Nuts and Bolts comes to mind for most BK fans. Luckily I never got to experience that game directly. But there's another title that I just cannot stand. Mainly because of how much it got screwed over during its development cycle and the series of unfortunate events that happened throughout.

For me I cannot stand Starfox Adventures. It's just a shame that it had to be redesigned not only because hey the Gamecube came out and the N64 was dying, but because the studio needed money and Nintendo were the ones at the helm. They gave them the money gutted a lot of the original concept and forced Starfox to be in the game. Because of this Krystal was relegated to such a minor role that it's hard to tell if she's even in the game or not. There's so many plot holes and things left unanswered it's just a joke of a story. Let's not forget Tricky! :evil: But that's not the worst of it. It was just such an incomplete and uninspired game that at most it functions at what it does, but doesn't exceed on any meaningful level.

That game marked as most gamers call "The downfall of Starfox" and even worse blamed Krystal for it! Like somehow her being in the game was the reason everything went wrong. Either way it's just one of those games that made me bitter playing this game because it really made me feel like Rare didn't give a damn until I learned much later it wasn't really their fault.
Last edited by Enrel on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Re: That one Rare title you hate?

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Blasphemy. Rare is perfect.
I didn't enjoy Nuts & Bolts though.
Taylonic Ltd.

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Taboo The Sixth Sense.

It said: "Thou willth take thy life."
... And it was true. I did.
How did it know?
My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm

I don't think there's any I truly HATE, but I couldn't really get into Jet Force Gemini.

I mean, I tried, it started fun enough, and I liked going to all the different planets, the characters were cool, but the controls were just so janky , there was NO way I was gonna replay the whole game to find all the Tribals and ship parts.

Maybe someday...

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:03 pm

My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, I would TOTALLY go do it, if the controls weren't so wonky and crazy. But it was frustrating enough getting through these levels a first time!

I wonder if the hypothetical XBLA port would've fixed them...

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:17 pm

I never liked Goldeneye 007. I hate shooter games, though. Especially FPS.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:29 pm

I really dislike Conker: Live and Reloaded. It neutered the game so much. The N64 version so only a few years old at the point. It should have been left alone.

LankyKong

Postby LankyKong » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Perfect Dark Zero.

The highest sensitivity 10, is like 3 in halo. In what world is that fast?

And shooting a silenced weapon across the map shouldn't alert all enemies my location.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are such good games so its surprising that Zero is soo bad.

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Did you know that some of Rare's early NES games were published by LJN? Because i'd say that pretty much all of those games are complete garbage, including legendarily bad titles like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Nightmare on Elm Street. Rare also worked on three Sesame Street games for NES, though they weren't published by LJN, and the users of this forum quite clearly weren't the target audience for it :lol: .

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:51 pm

TheAnvil

Postby TheAnvil » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Any answer apart from Kinect Sports is wrong.
Project Ukelele for Wii U. @MLFoxwell

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Cronid

Postby Cronid » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

On the N64 I didn't particularly enjoy Blast Corps, as much of a unique concept as it was. I found it a bit of a chore. Killer Instinct was another one I didn't like, but only because I don't enjoy beat-'em-ups.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Last edited by NiloStudo on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cube

Postby Cube » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm

I was never keen on Killer Instinct.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm

:x :x :x :x

BetterLateThanNever

Postby BetterLateThanNever » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Probably Perfect Dark Zero. Star Fox Adventures and DK64 hate has always confused me. :lol: Not fans of similarly well-made Zelda games with higher production values? Or of Banjo-Kazooie?

Yes, I'd place Star Fox Adventures above the DS Zelda titles easily. Maybe not so much the rest.

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 pm

DK64 is REALLY hard for me to replay. Last time I tried to make it through, I think I got to Fungi Forest before deciding I just couldn't do it.

But I could NEVER hate it. It was the first N64 game I ever owned! And it DOES have some cool stuff in it.

Return to “Past Glories”