That one Rare title you hate?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
NaughtyOttsel22

Re: That one Rare title you hate?

Postby NaughtyOttsel22 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Nuts and Bolts is my most hated game ever sooooooooo

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 am

Those early games that made no sense whatsoever and had absolutely horrid gameplay. Yes I'm talking about the ever-so infamous LJN (Laughin' Jokin Numbnuts)that really tarnished the reputation of oh-so-many developers in the early NES days back when the empire of Nintendo had rose to resurrect the gaming industry and became the area where all developers frolicked to. Taboo the Sixth Sense is probably agreeably the worst one. Makes no sense. I just don't even.

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:50 am

What even is Taboo the Sixth Sense? I guess at worse I can always emulate it. Sounds a bit like an adventure game though. Kings Quest style.

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:39 am

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:46 am

AndyProtagonist

Postby AndyProtagonist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:56 am

Kinect Sports anyone? ;)
Andy Protagonist

Levitat

Postby Levitat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 am

Just the Kintect games. But only i dont like the kinect :P maybe the games are great

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah I sort of doubt anyone really likes the Kintect. It was very much a gimmick that was forced onto the populus. It's strange how much of it is still being forced onto everyone. You'd think that Microsoft would have cut their losses and said let's just make a good console.

ashthedragon

Postby ashthedragon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:47 pm

I Dont hate aby, but I couldnt get into Jet Force Gemini either.
I haven't tried the Kinect games so I cant talk for those.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:20 am

Okay, really easy.
Perfect Dark Zero.
Perfect Dark followed the Goldeneye formula. Pure excellence.
According to Klobb Pd0 tried to copy Halo. Lame.
Now apparently if we get another PD it might be "story driven" and not a fps.
I don't understand Microsoft at all. They know what we as gamers want yet continually fart in our general direction.
On a side note. I am amongst the few who actually have EVERY achievement in PD0.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Killer Instinct 2. All of the characters played too similarly. Part of KI's flavor was the lack of normal human characters and they replaced one of the few normal humans, a dinosaur, and a flaming human with three normal humans. KI1's meta consisted of short, unbreakable combos, which wasn't that fun, but 2 made combos even *easier* to break, making the issue worse. The N64 port didn't help matters, it's easily the worst one Nintendo's ever made and the constant use of buttons other than A and B just makes your thumb sore. The Kinect Sports games do what they set out to properly, but KI2 falls on its face and is a disgrace compared to the original.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

reversalmushroom

Postby reversalmushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:39 pm

I have so many reasons for this that it would take me forever to type it all out, and I can't remember them all off the top of my head, so here's some I remember and feel like talking about:

1. The enemies, bosses, Brothers Bear, banana birds, and Baron K. Roolenstein are stupid.

2. The boss fights make you feel like the game is making you jump through hoops.

3. The final battles are boring.

4. The plot is stupid. I'm not looking for Shakespeare here; all I ask is that the plot not be stupid and make no sense. I like to think I'm not asking too much. DKC 1&2 had good enough plots.

The story is boring. Again, I'm not asking for Shakespeare; I just want a story where I can care about what's going on. DKC 1&2 had good enough stories. I'm not asking for a lot here.

5. Kiddy Kong.

6. Almost all of Kiddy Kong's abilities are situational. His most useful ability by far is that he carries barrels in front of him because that's the only thing that he can do all the time.

7. DKC3 doesn't have a fast character. In DKC2, you could play as Dixie, who could glide through the air, or you could play as Diddy, who ran faster and jumped farther. Dixie and Kiddy both run at the same speed.

8. 28/40 levels don't have bottomless pits, and even some of the few there are are easily avoidable.

9. Ellie isn't as good as Rambi or any of the other animal buddies. All the other animal buddies let you do cool things you couldn't do before, and they could use their abilities all the time. Ellie can't run down enemies or kill bees by jumping on them, her water spitting ability is situational, rarely allowed to be used, and covered by Squawks, who can do it all the time, and her barrel sucking ability is rarely allowed to be used, situational, and crappy.

10. The game seems to confuse being challenging with being a pain in the ass. The levels keep trying to shove some stupid gimmick down your throat. Yeah, the first 2 games had gimmicks, but they enhanced the platforming, whereas these just get in your way. The first 2 games' idea of challenge is asking a lot of your ability to dodge and land jumps. This game's idea of challenge is inconveniencing you and making you just through hoops.

11. The level types are visually uninteresting.

12. The Southern Kremisphere is uninteresting.

13. Most of the music sucks and is forgettable.

14. There are no destructible walls (except for 3 in 2 levels that lead to alternate paths). In DKC, you had 2 ways of getting to bonus rooms: jumping in bonus barrels and breaking through walls. In DKC2, you had 3: jumping in bonus barrels, breaking through walls, and jumping into cannons with cannonballs. In DKC3, you only have 1 way of going to bonus rooms: the bonus barrels.

15. The bonus barrels are easy to find.

16. The bonuses are just reused from DKC2 instead of all being new. If they were going to reuse bonuses, they should've also brought back ones from the 1st game; I like those, and I haven't seen them in a while. The new bonus they added, the green bananas one, is boring and uninspired, and it forces you to go at the game's pace, so there's no faster way to do it.

17. I hate the way the game does DK coins. In DKC2, you could just touch them and get them, but in DKC3, you now always have to defeat an enemy to get them. This does nothing but put an extra step between you and your objective that wasn't there before. You can't get the DK coins as easily as you could in the 2nd game, and there's no real purpose or benefit to it. It's a tedious chore because the game is making you jump through hoops.

The Koin enemies now force a part of every level to be the same. If it's just the DK coin, its surroundings can vary greatly.

Having it just be the DK coin makes you feel like you discovered a secret. Having this whole Koin nonsense makes it feel ordinary, expected, made worse by the fact that most of them are also easy to find.

Having them in the game like this makes no sense. There was actually a reason in the story for why they were in the 2nd game: Cranky put them there to test you. But Cranky didn't have anything to do with their being in DKC3, and no explanation was ever given. DKC3 just has them because DKC2 had them.

18. There's a distinct lack of barrel play here. In the first 2 games, they had you shooting out of all these barrels all the time, but in DKC3, there are far, far fewer barrels, and even when you find 1, it's always just 1, and you certainly never have get fired through a bunch or them or ever have to navigate your way through a barrel puzzle where the whole thing is above a bottomless pit (with the exception of Tracker Barrel Trek, which is certainly nowhere near as good because of its slow pace and lack of ability for the barrels to spin in different directions, but at least it's multiple barrels).

19. They seem to have done away with hooks. In DKC2, these had the benefit of being functionally identical to platforms without having to actually use a platform, and as such, had the added benefit of diversifying the level visually and mechanically a lot more than if it was all platforms. They allowed you to move through the game even faster and more precisely than you could with normal running and jumping.

20. Ropes aren't used nearly as much here. They also gave the levels visual and mechanical depth. They were also used as platforms, meaning that they made you jump between them a lot, and if you messed up the jump, you died. They appear way less in this game, and even then, are not set up in interesting ways, and rarely used as a test of your platforming ability and are mostly used to get you from one part of the level to the next.

21. There's no cool enemy placements. The first 2 games had cool enemy formations, which was great because it showed attention to detail. DKC3's are just generic and never show the attention to detail that the first 2 games did. 3 examples that I can think of are swinging through all the neckies in Forest Frenzy, how they would put enemies under save barrels so that after you respawned, you would immediately land on an enemy and kill it, and that part in Chain Link Chamber where you keep having to switch between 2 chains as you're climbing to dodge falling cannonballs.
Last edited by reversalmushroom on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I played DKC1 and 2 to death when they came out. In only checked out DKC3 in the last 5 years or so. I wasn't overly shot on it but thought it was due to looking back on it. I didn't really get the Kiddy Kong thing either.

Perfect Dark Zero is by far the most disappointing Rare game I've played and that's saying something as I've played the Kinect games! - To be honest I think it's because I expected an awful lot of PDZero and it really was horrendous.
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:56 pm

I didn't really play any of the MS era Rare games, so I couldn't really "hate" these games with my heart and soul. But I have to say that I'd go with Kinect Sports, since it symbolizes Rare's renunciation from adventurous and ambitious titles. Yes, I do think that Nuts & Bolts is such an ambitious title, even though I'm a gigantic fan of the classic B-K games. At least they tried to do something unique with that concept, even though they slapped their own fanbase in the face with it... So, it's Kinect Sports for me :lol:

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Kinect Games, which marked the death of Rare in my eyes.

Other than that, only considering games I played (N64 - GameCube era), Blast Corps was a Rare game I didn't enjoy as a kid. Probably because I didn't understand English at the time and I never understood what to do. I'd like to try it out again though!

Banjokazooieboi

Postby Banjokazooieboi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Sea of Thieves because I was hyped for a new platforming game... :(

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 am

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 pm

@reversalmushroom

Honestly, just simply because Kiddy Kong is in it is enough to hate it.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:25 pm

All the Xbox titles.

Return to “Past Glories”