Favourite Rare XBOX title

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Lupo

Favourite Rare XBOX title

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Hey Hey,

People often say that MS completely ruined Rare, however I don't think that is the case (I'll debate that another time) as there have been a few games from Rare for the Xbox platforms that were exceptionally good.

So, which one was your favourite and why? This is only for Rareware games released for the XBOX, XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE.

My favourite would be Kameo: Elements of Power. I just thought that it was such as unique platformer. It clearly had some of the mechanics and charm from Banjo-Kazooie with a few other genres added. You would have typical platforming and you would also have several fight scenes too to freshen things up. The environments were also beautiful and vibrant. I also loved the whole Elemental 'transformations' and the upgradable move-sets

How about you?
Leon

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Krockhead

Re: Favourite Rare XBOX title

Postby Krockhead » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Grabbed by the Ghoulies. It's just so window cleaning fun. The humor is quintessentially Rare, I mean, there's an innuendo right in the damn title. That's not even getting into all the Rare references littered across the game. It's fun just hunting for all of the references. The spirit of the game is Mad Monster Mansion: The Game, and I love that. Kirkhope managed to make a whole soundtrack out of that spirit without getting repetitive. If you haven't played it, do so. It's an overlooked classic.

Kameo is my runner-up.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Grabbed by the Ghoulies gets another vote from me.

Nuts & Bolts wasn't actually that bad either... I guess I was just so looking forward to a traditional Banjo platformer that it threw me off and left me with a sour taste in my mouth. :roll:
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:54 pm

NaughtyOttsel22

Postby NaughtyOttsel22 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm

None, they all sucked.

OK seriously, Kameo is the only one I liked.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

I've loved all the Xbox releases save for Kinect Sports, but Kameo is my absolute favorite. I wish it got a sequel.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:17 pm

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 pm

While I never played it personally due to not owning the console it was released on, I watched an entire playthrough of Kameo and it definitely looked like a cool game. I'm sure I would have had fun with it, had it been released on Gamecube like originally planned prior to the buyout.
Last edited by NiloStudo on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:49 pm

The Killer Instinct reboot is absolutely amazing (I know it's not actually developed by Rare, but it's still based off one of their IPs.) and pretty much all of their re-releases (Aside from Jetpac Refueled, and even that was fairly decent.) are much better than the originals, especially Perfect Dark, which i would easily say is the best game on XBLA.

Blue

Postby Blue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Does Live & Reloaded count? They did change quite a few things from the N64 version.

Anyway, I loved Conker Live & Reloaded when it first came out. Aside from the gratuitous censoring in the Xbawx version, it was a solid not-so-straight-port. Seriously, the graphics were almost on par with launch 360 games. I also played the heck out of the multi-player; that ish provided hours upon hours of unbalanced fun. Thermophile4life.

Still have to admit that the N64 version gets more points for not censoring the best parts of the 'Great Might Poo' song, though, and that chainsaw intro is legendary.
"Hands off my bread."

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Oh how I would have loved a HD remake of Banjo-Kazooie...
Grant Kirkhope has said himself that Rare planned to make one, which is why you can hear an orchestrated version of Mumbo's Mountain in the old Banjo Xbox trailer. I think they also intended to include more content, such as a giant termite that bursts out of Ticker's Tower and starts a boss fight.
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Viva Pinata 1 & 2 easily. And actually, I think I liked the first more than the second.

Once you get past the ridiculously babying tutorial stuff the game is really, really fun. Though mating is admittedly a bit awkward.
Make the forum great again.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:56 pm

I only played PD Zero... so, PD Zero? :| It wasn't a bad game. It was just so much worse than Perfect Dark.

EDIT: Just watched a few videos to remind me. It was in fact a bad game.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Easily N&B for me. The unique art style made the game absolutely gorgeous, the BK remixes were amazing, the gameplay was an amazing spin on Toy Commander, the multiplayer was amazing, LLC was an amazing value (more than 10% of the game for less than 10% of the price) and to top it off the characters were from the Banjo universe.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on xbla, they count right?

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm not counting rereleases like Banjo-Kazooie / Tooie or Conker: L&R.

Kameo, it's among my favourite games last gen, it has great level design, varied and intriguing gameplay and an incredible musical score. Kameo is a real classic. I also liked Nuts & Bolts (not as a Banjo though!) and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Also, Viva Pinata was incredibly well made, considering I abhore the simulation genre and still got quite a bit of fun out of those games. Easily better than all Sims and Animal Crossing games. I didn't like Perfect Dark Zero, but I don't like shooters anyway, so PDZ just joins the ranks of Perfect Dark, GoldenEye and Jet Force Gemini of games of absolutely no use for me. Kinect Sports was better than Wii Sports and was the only game to beat Wii Sports in its field, however, it, again, is from a genre I don't like. So had I been more lucky with genre choice (no simulations, sports or shooter games, my three no-go genres), I would probably have been quite happy with Rare.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Viva Pinata for me. It was just the msst fun I've had playing any Rare game on an Xbox. :)

Return to “Past Glories”