Spiritual Successor to Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
SpongeTheSquid

Spiritual Successor to Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede?

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 pm

While I think Playtonic should focus on Project Ukelele as their hands are gonna be full with it, I feel like this should be suggested because of the potential for the shared universe Playtonic has in mind.

Never heard of either of these games? If you're not a huge Rare fan like I am, I wouldn't be surprised. I'll fill all you folk in who may not have heard of either of these titles.

During Nintendo's Spaceworld 2001 event, a trailer was shown for an all new game coming to the Gamecube. You may have even seen screenshots of this game on the back of the box of your Gamecube. Donkey Kong Racing was a game that looked to be inspired by Diddy Kong Racing, but set more in the Donkey Kong Country universe. The main pull of the game was that you could ride the Animal Buddies from those games. Rhinos, Ostriches, Swordfish and the like! Concept art shows we may have even been able to ride karts, too! All kinds of familiar faces like Kiddy, Lanky, and Taj were to be included.

If you've never seen the trailer, you can watch it If you're curious about any other details, check out the , and Nintendo Life's article Where former Rare veteren Lee Musgrave calls the game "a cute version of Grand Theft Auto set in Africa."

Now, once Microsoft purchased Rare this game's fate went into question. It wasn't too long after that we found out Rare was going to retool the game without the Donkey Kong license, and make it more of an adventure game. The game was to now feature Sabreman of "Ultimate Play the Game" fame, and from what leaked of the game it looked pretty great! Unfortunately, The Sabreman team had to help get Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero ported to the 360. This eventually led to the game being pushed back and ultimately cancelled.

You can check out some gameplay footage , view the or read on the game for more information.

Now what does all this have to do with Playtonic's current strategy? The moment I found out Playtonic was interested in creating a shared universe for their games, I was instantly reminded of how that was done in Diddy Kong Racing. What better way than to introduce a whole slew of wonderful characters to us than in a kart racing game. Rare even toyed with the idea of racers long after DKR and Sabreman were cancelled through (which also never happened.

So I'm willing to guess Rare was wanting to bring us a racing game for a long time. Not to mention there hasn't really been a game that tried to do what Diddy Kong Racing did. Nintendo and Sega have tried to do things similar to the Diddy Kong formula, but it not really the same. I also believe that taking inspiration from these two cancelled titles would bring closure to fans in the way that Project Ukelele will do for fans who wanted Banjo-Threeie.

What do you guys think? Would making a game in the spirit of these racers be a great idea for Playtonic's next project?

DreaminErryDay

Re: Spiritual Successor to Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stamp

Postby DreaminErryDay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 pm

I've never seen the footage for Sabreman Stampede, that looks like it could have been a really fun game to mess around in.

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 pm

Last edited by SpongeTheSquid on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DKVineHyle

Postby DKVineHyle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Donkey Kong Racing is the most-mourned result of the Buyout for me and many other diehards. For years afterwards, all we cared about going into E3 was if we were going to see Sabreman Stampede. In fact, it's still a running joke today.

So if Playtonic wanted to mimic the basic formula mapped out for Donkey Kong Racing with their first racing game, then I'm pretty sure the planet would propel off its axis from the sheer joy being exuded from fanboy pores. Hmm. Sounds dangerous. Better just make a Mario Kart clone.

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:50 pm

It would be SO awesome if Playtonic decided to tackle this idea next! Donkey Kong Racing and Sabreman Stampede both looked amazing and had so much potential we never got to see realized.

I'm imagining this gigantic racing/adventure game where you go around an expansive hub world catching and mounting a wide assortment of animals to use in races or other objectives. I also remember mention at some point of being able to jump off your mount mid-race and acquire new ones all while you're still racing. Perhaps some mounts would be better suited for going down different branching paths or accessing hidden secret areas. Perhaps you'd even be able to hijack mounts from opponents.

This concept is a singularly unique opportunity for Playtonic in that it would be a spiritual successor to a Rare game that we never actually got to play the first time around.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:51 pm

Most of the Game 02 requests have been for a kart racer, so I can see that happening if everyone still wants it by the time Ukulele is released. Never knew about the Sabreman game, but something similar is always a possibility...
Taylonic Ltd.

enterthekiwi

Postby enterthekiwi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:54 pm

So you mean to tell me you've given up hope that Sabreman Stampede is going to be announced at this year's E3?

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:03 am

It's really sad that if Rare got to make the games they wanted on the 360 I'd defiantly would of bought one to be my Rare machine (With Halo)

Alph

Postby Alph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 am

The 360 is still a good machine to own for Rare fans.

1. Banjo-Kazooie HD (via XBLA)
2. Banjo-Tooie HD (via XBLA)
3. Jetpac Refueled (via XBLA)
4. Conker: Live and Reloaded (via backwards compatibility)
5. Grabbed by the Ghoulies (via either backwards compatibility or XBLA)
6. Perfect Dark HD (via XBLA)
7. Perfect Dark Zero
8. Kameo: Elements of Power
9. Viva Pinata
10. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
11. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Granted it could really have used an HD remake of Jet Force Gemini and the Battletoads games. And of course an actual Banjo-Kazooie 3. But it's still a solid line-up of Rare titles.

Kroconut

Postby Kroconut » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 am

Imagine Playtonic creating a very fun Wii U racing game in style of DKR when all of a sudden Shigeru Miyamoto visits the studio and says he is so impressed they can use Diddy Kong! It'd be 1996/1997 all over! With or without Diddy I think Playtonic could do an amazing brilliant DKR. And with David Wise doing a DKR spiritual successor soundtrack (OMG now THAT would be so amazing!)

Alph

Postby Alph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 am

Rare

Postby Rare » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm

I'd love to see Donkey Kong Racing brought back to life

Neodynamics

Postby Neodynamics » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:16 pm

-I'm part of an online community! *Squee

NPChilla

Re: Spiritual Successor to Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede?

Postby NPChilla » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Considering how Fast and the Furriest was axed, I doubt we'll see a Rare racer in the foreseeable future.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:54 pm

I wish that DKR game got made. Never seen that sabreman footage before, looks good!

One game i REAALLY mourn is The Fast and thr Furriest. That would have been UTTER BRILLIANCE.

Anyhoo id love a spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Racing with the animals of the YookaLaylee universe.

Aidan25

Postby Aidan25 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:14 pm

It'd be an excellent idea if Playtonic decided to make a spiritual successor to what Donkey Kong Racing and Sabreman Stampede were meant to be. When I think of the old Rare games, I think about how fun they're going to be because of who are behind them, their developers, designers, composers and the rest of the crew. I believe Playtonic will be very similar as they have an extremely similar mindset to what Rare was before the acquisition. All we can do is just remain patient and keep formulating ideas here because I remember seeing or hearing something saying that Playtonic wants to reach out to their community to get ideas etc.
October 2016.

Return to “Past Glories”