Microsoft apparently dedicating 2015 to celebrating Rare

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
EekumBokum202

Microsoft apparently dedicating 2015 to celebrating Rare

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:42 am

This is only tangentially related to Project Ukelele, but I feel like it's worth sharing all the same.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/xbox-bo ... brate-rare

I believe one chap said it best: 13 years too late...
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

John

Re: Microsoft apparently dedicating 2015 to celebrating Rare

Postby John » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:45 am

It's funny how Phil Spencer is complimenting Gregg Mayles while Steve Mayles is working on Project Ukulele. Well I'll support all these games, Rare and Playtonic, as long as they're good.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Alph

Postby Alph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:22 am

I still have faith that the guys at Rare can pull off something awsome if given the chance, but right now the vast majority of my hype belongs to Playtonic.

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:25 am

I've been celebrating Rare since 1998 though.

Billusio

Postby Billusio » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Hmmm, I still believe that Rare, or what's left of them, have the creativity and the talent to produce great titles.

I can see them "celebrating" Rare's success by releasing re-configured Rare titles with a HD face-lift onto XBLA (for a small fee, of course ;) ). All except Goldeneye, cos of the mess of the ownership/publishing/Bond licence rights, which is a real shame.

I hope for Rare's sake that Microsoft do them justice. They've suffered enough. Don't think Playtonic have anything to worry about thunder-stealing-wise.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 pm

I wish Rare all the luck in the world. I feel pretty confident that Banjo (or Conker) will be making a platforming return soon; I hope it's a good game, but considering most of the classic team has disbanded, I'm going to try and play it how I should have played Nuts & Bolts -- no expectations.

Truthfully, I'm more excited to see what Project Ukulele develops into. Playtonic isn't just an indie studio to me; it's the rebirth of everything I loved about my former favourite games company. I stopped caring about Rare when they stopped being Rare... They're hardly recognisable nowadays. I hope they can regain my trust, but... :roll:
Taylonic Ltd.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 pm

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:03 am

I'm reminded of something Grant Kirkhope said while guest-starring on Game Grumps, regarding Donkey Kong 64:

"You should play it every day, and thank the Lord for the game's existence!"

Obviously he said it in jest to bust Jon's chops, but I can't help but feel that it can also be applied quite literally to Microsoft at this point. Like, yeah, NOW they're celebrating Rare, but they really should have been doing that the whole time they had Rare...

But like many of you said, I'm sure there are still talented people at Rare, and thus I hope they can still pull out something fun.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 am

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 am

While I'm sure we're all expecting Playtonic to be the revitalization of Rare. Part of me does hope that MS' Rare isn't completely dead. Maybe there could be some glimmer of hope?

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:35 am

Rare (and the controller, but that can change in principle) is the reason I will probably always prefer Xbox over PlayStation as my secondary console. I hope (and trust) that Rare will have some really great games this / next year. Gregg Mayles was the lead developer of one of my favourite games of all time - Banjo - afterall. It would be perfect if we'd get two studios working on their vision of a new Banjo game at the same time, though Playtonic's existence with people who only recently left Rare or are even siblings of on of the current heads of Rare, makes me a bit pessimistic regarding the likelihood of getting a new Banjo from Rare...

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 pm

This is starting to sound like a broken record. Feels like an article such as this has come out every two years or so ever since Rare was bought by Microsoft.

"Hey everybody! It's the 20th anniversary! 22st...! 25th...! 29th...! We're going back to the roots! Woooooah!"

These promises are about as legit as when SEGA said they were going back to Sonic's origins with Sonic '06... and that turned out great.

Remember when Microsoft said the team behind the new Killer Instinct had "consulted" with the original team from Rare and then Chris Seavor showed up on Twitter and was like "EEEEH... NOPE. THEY DIDN'T".

This is just publicity gibber jabber. I'll buy that they're making a legit good Rare game when it's out and people say good things about it,

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:12 pm

Microsoft is as bad as Jimmy Saville. That's all I need to say.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Make the forum great again.

ashthedragon

Postby ashthedragon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm

I still have mild faith in current RARE, but there is not a good omen when they show Battletoads on Shovel Knight and mix Rash and Zitz's colours up...

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Lacking an MS console and definitely no computer that lets me play games that have come out in the last 3 years nor any other future game that isn't optimized like all AA+ titles aren't, I'd hope any Banjo Kazooie project done exclusively on MS platforms flops as bad as N&B. But I'm just a spot biased.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:05 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Not wanting to pour water on a year "dedicated" to Rare, but from Microsoft's track record, any "celebration" of Rare they try will be apocalyptically embarrassing and downright painful:

On another thread in this board, the Conker "celebration" has been unveiled as some DLC for Project Spark. Whoop-de-doo.
This week, Banjo-Kazooie was brought back seven years (SEVEN!) after Nuts & Bolts flopped... in a Kinect tech demo which will never be seen or played outside of that single gaming conference. Considering how Microsoft isn't even pushing the Kinect any more, that's particularly weak.
Aside from that, I think the Battletoads are in the Xbox version of Shovel Knight and... that's it.

:roll:

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:42 pm

im excited for this years e3 hope im not getting hopes up as rare USUALLY let me down. Banjo-Threeie AND Ukelele would fill me up to the brim nom nom nom

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:43 am

Honestly this is a hollow sentiment, and I am not convinced at all.
Killer Instinct produced by 2 devs with no input from the original devs.
Conker in Project Spark. Once again a shoehorn deal completely NOT done by Rare ltd.
Next is the Battletoads cameo. Sigh.
This just screams that Microsoft does not trust the new Rare with its own IP's.
No confidence that Microsoft really means what they say.
All the hubbub points to other devs fiddling with Rares original games but nothing from Rare itself.
Not impressed.

Return to “Past Glories”