What did you think of Nuts and Bolts?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Shoegayzer

Re: What did you think of Nuts and Bolts?

Postby Shoegayzer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 am

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:45 am

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 am

-

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:58 am

The game was originally going to be a "what if" story that pretends tooie never happened, but they decided to have the game take place between banjo Kazooie and Banjo tooie. It takes place two months after grunty fell from her tower, clungo build a mechanical body for grunty's soul to inhabit seeing as he cannot lift the boulder. She snags kazooie and travels back in time to prevent the two from meeting up and undoing her defeat. Banjo gets sent back in time thanks to mumbos magic but as a side effect of the time travel banjo forgets all of the moves he leaned in B-K. So he has to go to bogeye (bottles ancestor) to teach him new moves. So banjo has to find kazooie and defeat grunty to bring things back to normal

Not a bad game but it was one of those overhead 2.5D isometric platformer collect-a-thon games making terrain blend in on occasion and makes it hard to judge jump distance.

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:17 am

-

Chruxl

Postby Chruxl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:58 am

Hmm.. What did I think of Nuts and Bolts.... For me, it's complicated.

The good things about it; it is visually appealing. They took advantage of the next gen console's graphics, and the art team, I think, captured the light-hearted feel of Banjo. The music, too, had that Kirkhope flair. Also the humor and dialogue, while a bit hit and miss, did make me laugh more often than not. The level design was pretty creative, if a bit cramped. This is especially noticeable on the Logbox 720 stage. All in all, it felt like a Banjo game. Also Banjo was in two other Racing games, granted they weren't major Banjo installments, which brings me to:

The bad things about it. While Banjo was indeed a driver/pilot before, the major Banjo titles have always mainly been platformers. I understand Rare wanted to take a different route, but to do it in main title felt very disingenuous to the fans. "Gamers today don't want all this. They just want to shoot things!" Really? Who do you think played your first two titles, L.O.G.? Also, the handling and shooting of the vehicles felt clunky at best, even though it was awesome to strap jets to a boat. The missions got extremely repetitive, as well. I must have launched several score Jinjos by the last world.

All in all, I enjoyed the game for the atmosphere, but am disappointed about what might have been.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:52 am

You don't know the true meaning of fun until you've played vehicular water polo with Rare employees.

Levitat

Postby Levitat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:10 am

Crap game. Nothing to do with the old Banjo Kazooie. Graphics where nice. But gameplay sucks.

FarronFox

Postby FarronFox » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:13 am

The most fun for me was swimming as Banjo, climbing poles and jumping down. Then running around town as him, although I wished I could instead switch to Kazooie to run around, many times.

Fiddling around in the garage trying to make decent vehicles I didn't really enjoy, then trying to drive them i didn't find that great.

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:34 pm

I liked the mechanics. It had absolutely no business whatsoever getting the Banjo-Kazooie name.

And I also loathed the fact that L.O.G. directly insulted collecting items, people who like platformers, etc. with all of his "nobody wants to collect items anymore" monologue. I did however get the feeling that there were a few angry RARE employees taking digs at Micro$oft for making them do that to Banjo and Kazooie. So I feel like parts of the dev team were just as mad as I was.
Make the forum great again.

TheAnvil

Postby TheAnvil » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Nuts and Bolts was a good game.

It was not a good Banjo game.
Project Ukelele for Wii U. @MLFoxwell

Rare

Postby Rare » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I honestly couldn't play the game without getting a headache.

PandaBear

Postby PandaBear » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:07 pm

It's an okay game, but it suffers in a lot of areas.
- too many similar missions
- frustrating physics
- worlds are huge but boring to explore because there's no reason to do so anyway

Showdown Town was awesome though!

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:27 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 pm

It was awful. It could have been good but it was badly executed. The vehicle physics were terrible and made the game very frustrating and gruntbots were the worst enemy idea anybody could have imagined. The new character designs made the lovable characters no longer lovable and in some cases unrecognizable. They changed the voices too which also took character away. The challenges were poo-poo boring and too repetitive. Terrarium of terror was by far the worst level design ever for a place your supposed navigate on wheels, will have been good as a platforming level.

Game should have been Banjo-Threeie, they killed it.

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:13 am

Blasphemy. It just felt like a stab in the back. Making fun of the old games, making fun of the old moves they had or collecting items. "None of that silly stuff, this is just about Cars!"

When all we ever wanted, as Banjo fans, was a legit Third game in the series. Just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Positives: It came with the original BK for free
and the Graphics! Just made me think of what a legit 3rd game could have been..

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 am

Well, today, I managed to find one guy who thinks Nuts & Bolts isn't just good, it's excellent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKXC5T9JD9g

Andre from GameXplain, we've got your number!
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:38 am

i loved nuts & bolts for what it was a good game & bad banjo game with poor online gameplay IMO & really bad vehicle storage list because it just becomes SOOOOOOO long! wish there was a better way to categorize your vehicles & it also felt very insulting to the platformer genre with there "jokes" as well as it just felt like they slaped banjo on the title (witch they did) & was all like HEY WHERE BANJO & KAZOOIE! REMEMBER US! WE WHERE A THING! OH LOOK REMEMBER HOW THINGS USED TO BE? YEAH US TO BUT OH WELL WHAT ARE YOU GUNA DO-OH I KNOW BUILD CARS!!!! ....untill you unlock jets & put them on EVERYTHING! & FLY EVERYWHERE!

if they do, do another nuts & bolts kind of game i think they should let people just use there avatars as that seams more suitable for that kind of game in my opinion & banjo should stick to platformers & maybe golf,tennis,racing & party games in the same way mario dose because i can actually see banjo working in those kind of games

(although fighting to keep my world records on the leader board was a huge adrenaline rush! for me & i tend to like the game more then others because of that i guess? )

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:55 am

OH sorry to post again but i just wana say i think another huge reason BKN&B was received so bad is that 8 years with out a proper (teased & essentialy promised sequel) & they do that! i think if they just did banjo threeie & released BK & BT on XBLA then released BKN&B people would of gotten there platformer fix after waiting 8 years out would of been more open to BKN&B & they would of ended up releasing BKN&B during the rising minecraft craze! & i think interest & popularity of the banjo IP would of been a lot better then & they would of made a lot more money (then again its not a bloody realistic war like shooter with zombies so who knows?)

PS: its total BS! that banjo kazooie where not an exclusive characters in sonic all star racing transformed!!! i mean come on!!! i was SOOOOO sad about that T.T *sniff*

Return to “Past Glories”